Generation Ships--- Can we build one now?

Only problem with that is, 200 years won't get us anywhere. When talking about generation ships traveling between stars, we're talking about 2000 years - anything that big would be far, far to massive to accelerate to any appreciable degree of C. Which then means that genetic drift becomes a serious issue. Never minding linguistic drift. What happens when the crew can no longer read their technical manuals or labels on the reactor?

Although, to be fair, insects as a source of protein would likely be the easiest way to go.

Well why would they no longer be able to read their manuals and labels if every generation has to do read them? The language drift shouldn't be a big deal if they constantly have to use the "original" language. At least no the written language. The spoken might differ more strongly.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Well why would they no longer be able to read their manuals and labels if every generation has to do read them? The language drift shouldn't be a big deal if they constantly have to use the "original" language. At least no the written language. The spoken might differ more strongly.

now I'm imagining a strange future when the Ships Manuals are treated like Torah Scrolls and every sleep cycle the crew gather for prayer as the 'Engineers' chant the Tech-Specs and Standard Operating Procedures in the original language of ancient earth

Amene

Janx

Hero

I would think the written word is what helps restrain language drift as it creates a level-set of comprehension and presentation of the language.

I wonder if anybody's done any science on that., literate cultures vs. illiterate cultures and language drift.

side note: why would we assume nobody writes books on the generation ship. Memoir, fiction, non-fiction.
Why would we assume nobody rewrites the manual. I mean Voyage redesigned an entire freaking shuttle. Whos to say somebody wasn't bored and thought they could write it better (and thus it keeps up with language changes and/or loses meaning/accuracy).

Ryujin

Legend
Though previously studied cultures didn't really have audio and video recordings to go along with the written works, and help keep them on track. If you have a collection of technical works that you have to continually reference, for example as a means of training successive generations on ship's maintenance, does that help to curb drift?

Janx

Hero
Linguistic drift can be minimized with things like audio recordings and dictionarys. They haven't existed for most of the last 2000 years.

"Son, if you don't stop talking like a spacer, you'll end up working the 'sect Dome instead of Geneering like me. Do you want that?"

Janx

Hero
Though previously studied cultures didn't really have audio and video recordings to go along with the written works, and help keep them on track. If you have a collection of technical works that you have to continually reference, for example as a means of training successive generations on ship's maintenance, does that help to curb drift?

That's my thinking. The people running the ship have to stay versant in the language of the manuals and training videos. They're going to raise their kids with that same language and videos.

The drift would be more likely in people not in those jobs, probably a lower class. Much as we see with how people in business/upper class (aka job interview in a suit language) vs. the commoner.

I would bet those language differences would restrict class mobility for the simple point of if you can't talk like an engineer, you can't get the engineer job.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned

I think that you are right. Take a real world example, we can still learn Latin even though no one speaks it anymore. Latin is more then 2000 years old and it is not even the oldest language.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I don't think that I necessarily agree with that, in terms of overall communication.

Instead, if this is a long-term (multi-generation, 100s or 1000s of years), it is more likely that the originating language will end up seeming more like a dead language, akin to Latin or Old English, and its use will be specialized jargon, but not used in common speech.

Also? As much as I would love the idea of the people that kept the ship running being the upper (or ruling) class, more likely they will be the put-upon middle class. ;)

Yep, that’s what prompted my image of the Engineers priesthood recital of the ancient manuals to the faithful crew - they’re not the ruling class (that belongs to Bridge or maybe Security) but they are privileged because they know the Codes and Protocols

Last edited:

Remove ads