• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Generic (Non-Minion) NPCs

StAlda

Explorer
I needed a Locksmith to interact (and possibly travel locally) with my party that may be combative, but I definitely did not want him to be a minion. So I asked around with no real answer that I liked (well until the last one). So I tossed this template together (literally tossed - like 20 minutes), I don't know if it is worth anything, but here it is.

PROFESSIONAL
“I’ll have that taken care of in no time”

CLASS TRAITS
Role: Expert.
Power Source: Vocational Experience.
Key Abilities: Varies

Armor Proficiencies: Cloth.
Weapon Proficiencies: Simple Melee (one weapon from list).
Bonus to Defense: none.

Hit Points: 5 + Constitution Score.
Healing Surges per Day: 1 + Constitution Modifier.

Trained Skills: Choose any 2 skills.
Class Skills: Acrobatics (Dex), Athletics (Str), Bluff (Cha), Diplomacy (Cha), Dungeoneering (Wis), Endurance (Con), Heal (Wis), History (Int), Insight (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Nature (Wis), Perception (Wis), Religion (Int), Stealth (Dex), Streetwise (Cha), Thievery (Dex).

Build Options: Strength Profession, Intelligence Profession, Wisdom Profession, Dexterity Profession, Constitution Profession, Charisma Profession.
Class features: Experts Experience, Skill Surge.

Experts Experience
You gain an experience bonus to your skills (determined by DM).

Skill Surge
You gain the Skill Surge power.
Skill Surge
With furrowed brow you make your best attempt.
Daily
Standard Action Personal
Effect: You get a +5 power bonus to a trained skill.

Example

Dexterity Professional (Locksmith)
Initiative +3; Senses Perception +7
HP 15; Bloodied 7
Healing Surges 1 (+3 hp)
AC 10; Fortitude 10, Reflex 11, Will 10

Skills Perception +7, Thievery (Open Lock) +13
Str 11 (+0); Dex 13 (+1); Wis 11 (+0);
Con 10 (+0); Int 11 (+0); Cha 10 (+0)
Equipment Locksmith tools, Dagger

Melee Basic Attack: +0 vs. AC Hit:1[W]
Range Basic Attack: +1 vs. AC Hit:1[W] + 1 (Dex)

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
Too many hps for a non-hero or monster imho. Also, way too structured of an approach for my taste for 4e- albeit a not bad at all, easy to use one. :)

I would make the following changes for a standard, non-combatant npc:

Hit Points: Either Constitution score or 5 + 1/2 Constitution score. (An average Joe has 10 hps; he's above a minion but not as buff as an actual adventurer/hero or a typical monster.)

Healing Surges: 1 per tier.

Weapon Proficiencies: None. Some skilled individuals may have specific weapon proficiencies, and certainly anyone can fight with a weapon, but the typical skilled npc doesn't have any weapons training.

Also, by the book your expert should have a +1 bonus to ranged damage (from Dexterity), but if it was your intention not to do so, that's okay too. Just make sure it is on purpose. :)

StAlda

Explorer
Well this isn't a leveling class, so there is only 1 tier. I'll probably make it 1 + Con bonus. I agree the HPs might be too high. Simple Melee Weapons says you swing the business end at the opponent, so I gave it to them. But I was thinking about just one weapon. You are right about the missing Dex damage.

Oh, and if there was a battle with him as an ally, I didn't want a 1 HP party minion, I wanted him and most "Average Joes" to be able to take a scratch or two. So not necessarily a combatant, but not a "I hit my thumb with the hammer and went unconcious for awhile" type character.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited:

Mentat55

First Post
I wouldn't take the 1 HP too literally. When minions fight PCs, they are facing heroes with exceptional abilities and generally murderous intent. There is no toe-stubbing in a battle with PCs -- they're trying to disembowel you or set you on fire. When a minion takes damage in a fight, it is always real.

Second, if you want your locksmith to be as incompetent in battle as the example one you've shown above, and assuming your PCs are of comparatively higher level (say level 5+), just make your NPC a monster 5+ levels lower than your PCs. Or basically, just a level 1 creature. A level 1 lurker with a 10 Con has 22 HP and an attack bonus of +6, which might even be too high.

Actually, I would just generate a stat block like you have, but totally arbitrarily. No need for rules -- the locksmith accomplishes your goals: (1) to have a real, quantifiable ability at making and opening locks, and (2) not dying from a single, normal hit from a low-level PC (note that a paragon tier PC smears this guy with an at-will).

StAlda

Explorer
The template is just a baseline person I can modify from there. Starting with a scaffolding is easier (at least for me) than starting with a blank sheet of paper.

I have updated the template and Locksmith with the suggestions posted here taken into consideration.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads