• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Genetically Modified Humans

Belzbet

First Post
I was thinking about creating as a playable race these genetically modified humans that, instead of gaining a feat and skill increase, gain +2 to an ability of their choice and darkvision (with no penalty to an ability and no LA; i realize that not all ability scores are equal but when you have a certain build you know what ability is most important to that build, so while STR and CON are, in general, some of the most important abilities as a wizard INT is WAY more important to me than STR or CON; these humans give the PC the ability to pick their ability MOD). I was looking through the standard races for comparison and saw that the half-orc gets +2 to STR darkvision and a penalty to TWO abilities. That would give my genetically modified humans better racial MODS than one of the standard races; however, it doesnt seem like these genetically modified humans have that great of MODS. Do you guys think these humans are "too good?"

Dozen

First Post
For 3.5. D&D? They aren't too good, and WoTC appeared to have beef with halfbreeds in general around the time they released the Player's Handbook; you shouldn't compare core half-somethings to anyone, bad precedent. It's a balanced race alright. But I question the underlying principles, or lack of them thereof.
It's up to you if you want to include hard sciences in your games, that's fine. But how can they just 'decide' how they were modified? On one hand, should the change be achieved under relatively conventional ways, the characters hardly have any say in the matter, since technically they aren't born yet. On the other, balls-out magic side, genetic change to a body is an unnecessarily elaborate solution(we're talking epic levels here, Polymorph operates on simpler technicalities). Why not have them Polymorphed somehow, or go with Planescape's philosophy and say they exist because enough shmucks thought it would be cool if there was a race which could decide what to grow up as? Or does the genetic mod enable them that somehow? I'm not claiming to be a scientist of any kind, but that sounds hardly possible.

Last edited:

Belzbet

First Post
yeah i realized tha the half-orc is probably unbalanced. My forum post was originally going to be title "Half-orc... too weak" but I decided to get to my main point about these humans I want to make available

yeah i understand your concersn. this campaign will be high tech and magic. This genetic modification is a result of magic and technology. Even nowadays talk eugenics isnt implausible or impossible. In terms of the decision, it wasnt made by them in character, and maybe its a new science so we cant actually decide how the resultant humans are modified but from an out of character perspective they can choose how they were modified. In charatcer maybe it just so happened that the human with an increased INT wanted to study wizardry and eventuslly became a great adventurer; but out of character the player wanted to be a wizard and picked a race with high INT that complimented wizardry. Also straight up genetic modification will produce much more lasting result than polymorph (imagine getting your mutations erased because dispel magic was cast on you or because you enter an antimagic zone). no matter if the mutations were caused by magic or science the results are going to be physical NOT magical. Also, the main reason why I want this race available is so that the PC can choose its ability MOD without having a LA (not very many races without LA's have bonuses to INT, WIS or CHA ; non of the standard races do).

Belzbet

First Post
Also, knowing humans of earth, humans of a D&D universe will be interested in eugenics. ANd considering D&D humans have access to magic they are going to be much better at achieving the ends of eugenics (which is an increased, stronger, smarter, human). So, rather than being implausible or impossible i think it is very probably to assume that D&D humans have achieved good results.

Dozen

First Post
Belzbet said:
In charatcer maybe it just so happened that the human with an increased INT wanted to study wizardry and eventuslly became a great adventurer; but out of character the player wanted to be a wizard and picked a race with high INT that complimented wizardry.

I see your point. Very well.
Belzbet said:
Also straight up genetic modification will produce much more lasting result than polymorph (imagine getting your mutations erased because dispel magic was cast on you or because you enter an antimagic zone).

Instantaneous Transmutations can't be dispelled or repressed. There is quite a lot of them, like the Transmute spells, Bodak Birth, Anyspell, Reverse Gender - you can take picks.

delericho

Legend
Yeah, half-orcs are underpowered.

The race you describe is fine from a game-balance point of view, but I wouldn't include them in my game. They just seem... dull. I mean, that +2 to a stat is undeniably effective, and certainly desirable (and, indeed, for too many players is the sole reason they choose their race), but it's something you add to the character sheet and forget about. Could you not drop in at least some skill bonuses, or access to a unique power or something?

Belzbet

First Post
Could you not drop in at least some skill bonuses, or access to a unique power or something?

i feel you they are quite dull. I am more than willing to give them more abilities (maybe some excrete a sticky substance from their hands that make them climb better, etc etc). And I am up for suggestions. I could make a list of like 20 flavorful skill increases (abilities) that arent to powerful then the PC rolls a d20 to decide which feature it gets (representing the random nature of the mutations).

Belzbet

First Post
Instantaneous Transmutations can't be dispelled or repressed. There is quite a lot of them, like the Transmute spells, Bodak Birth, Anyspell, Reverse Gender - you can take picks.

Yeah... and the people who acheived this modification probably used transmutation magic. Heck maybe ill create a spell that makes a fetus or growing baby into a modified one. Also, if we bring epic level spells into the equation pretty much anything is possible. But wish spells undo most spells, even instant transmutation. And epic spells can presumably undo transmutation magic (not to mention a gods ability to undo magics). No matter the cause of their modification it will be a permanent effect that cannot be reversed in ANY way. That is why I hesitate to make it purely a spell of such and such level.

Dozen

First Post
But wish spells undo most spells, even instant transmutation. And epic spells can presumably undo transmutation magic (not to mention a gods ability to undo magics). No matter the cause of their Modification it will be a permanent effect that cannot be reversed in ANY way. That is why I hesitate to make it purely a spell of such and such level.
That's quite silly. Gods, wishes, epics and whatnot can change anyone. It doesn't matter if somebody was changed before or not, when Mialee the epic wizard wants pigs to fly or the Demigod Chaav feels the need for Beholders covered in smiley faces, they will make it happen. If you didn't want to do anything epic spells can reverse, you can pretty much give up on life. 'Course, you wouldn't be able to even kill yourself permanently without feeding your corpse to a barghest.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
...Demigod Chaav feels the need for Beholders covered in smiley faces...

...thus spake Chaav, "Lo, by my power, I alter thee and thine! And thus, as first touch'd by my change, thou art now become Evil Otto!"

Remove ads