• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Geniuses with 5 Int

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Wasn't it extrapolating other people's statements and putting words in their mouths that got your panties in a knot a few pages ago?
Yes, it was. This is why I asked you for clarification rather than assume your intent.
But, no, that's not even remotely what I'm claiming. Literally anybody could have narrative access to the patron, including other players. The DM can even have mechanical access to the patron. However I would expect each of them not try to undermine the warlock, just like I would expect the warlock to not try to alter mechanics. That's just social contract.

Players of course can't use narration to change the game state for other players, which would include communication between the warlock and the player. You can have Eloelle's Patron whisper to you all you want; just don't try telling Eloelle what he whispers to her.

The DM, of course, has more leeway. But let's say he decides, out of the blue without any mechanical justification, to announce that Eloelle's Patron is no longer whispering to her. WTF? I think that's a case of the social contract being completely violated. There are ways to salvage the narrative, but really I'd have to ask myself why I was playing at that table.

If for some reason I wanted to stay in that game, maybe I'd respond, "Huh. Well somebody is whispering to me; I could have sworn it's my Patron. The mystery deepens! In the meantime Eloelle is convinced it's her Patron."

Does that answer your rhetorical question?
Yes, but it wasn't a rhetorical question.

EDIT: I see you can't reply, but have left my post because it doesn't require your response.

BoldItalic

First Post
What does the word/term 'genius' mean? I know it can be applied to many different things and be applied mistakenly or in a negative way but... what does it mean?
We know, but we aren't allowed to tell you ... :D

Seriously, though, it isn't just an ability to solve difficult intellectual problems. It's partly that, but coupled with a strong drive to achieve and a willingness to disregard social conventions if they get in the way of doing it.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
We know, but we aren't allowed to tell you ... :D

Seriously, though, it isn't just an ability to solve difficult intellectual problems. It's partly that, but coupled with a strong drive to achieve and a willingness to disregard social conventions if they get in the way of doing it.

Huh? There's nothing about genius that requires ambition or cluelessness about social conventions. I get the feeling you're doing one of your sideways snarks, but this one's too obtuse for me.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
What does the word/term 'genius' mean? I know it can be applied to many different things and be applied mistakenly or in a negative way but... what does it mean?

Genius has two broad meanings. The first is a general statement of someone having an very high intelligence. The second is a narrower description of high competence in a particular field that doesn't have to be intellectual. A genius with the basketball, for instance, doesn't mean really smart (doesn't not mean that either) but instead a high level of skill in playing basketball. Regardless of scope, though, genius always means superior ability.

Yardiff

Adventurer
Genius has two broad meanings. The first is a general statement of someone having an very high intelligence. The second is a narrower description of high competence in a particular field that doesn't have to be intellectual. A genius with the basketball, for instance, doesn't mean really smart (doesn't not mean that either) but instead a high level of skill in playing basketball. Regardless of scope, though, genius always means superior ability.

This is the way I see it so wasn't sure how 'genius' was being used in this thread.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Technically, it's a contronym* created through context. Aka, sarcasm.

"I absolutely love it when the comments on enworld devolve from D&D discussion to pendantry, don't you Bob?" ;)

*Like sanction.
It's not a contranym. The meaning of genius doesn't change in that sentence. You can tell it still works if you sub "super smart" in and the meaning doesn't change. It doesn't.

Instead, this is just an example of sarcasm, which uses the irony of using a word opposite in meaning to that which is intended. At no time does genius change meaning -- the sarcasm relies on genius meaning super smart in order to work.

Genius means very smart or very talented. It is not a contranym.

Remove ads