• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

genshou's Universal House Rules

genshou

First Post
I've added a few updates to the thread (see the red text). Eventually I'll get everything back to where it was before the crash :(

Aus_Snow

First Post
I like Cascade skllls - so much so, that I might implement something like it myself. I already have experimented with multiple 'layers' of skills, ever since my own (unpublished) RPG back when.

The max. 4 skp in any given skill per CL is good sense. So is scaling Toughness. And skill focus redux. Not sure about the two-skill feats - not saying they're bad, but for some reason something doesn't look right. I'll think that one over sometime.

I've seen the same DR, Class Defence and Power Attack rules around a few places, and these all look sound to me.

The 'einhander' deal with finesse weapons troubles me a bit though - do you have feats to compensate for using this implied style of fighting (i.e., a one-handed weapon in the on-hand + nothing in the off-hand) ? I have added in a number of such feats; just wondering if you might've also, given that such a style is otherwise mechanically weaker than other options.

Sorry, I must've missed the rolling/other chargen system you use with these point-buy progression rules.. ?

genshou

First Post
Aus_Snow said:
The 'einhander' deal with finesse weapons troubles me a bit though - do you have feats to compensate for using this implied style of fighting (i.e., a one-handed weapon in the on-hand + nothing in the off-hand) ? I have added in a number of such feats; just wondering if you might've also, given that such a style is otherwise mechanically weaker than other options.
I use different terminology for weapon sizes than most other people. A one-handed weapon is a weapon that is normally used in one hand but can be used in two hands, e.g. a longsword of appropriate size to the wielder. Light weapons are smaller, heavy weapons are larger (two-handed wielding only).
Sorry, I must've missed the rolling/other chargen system you use with these point-buy progression rules.. ?
I prefer to use 3d6, reroll 1s (or 3d5+3 when using computerized dice). The average is a bit lower and it makes characters less likely to be overpowered compared to the others. Since they catch up to the standard rapidly if they are below it, beyond 1st-level low scores are never a problem.

Sravoff

First Post
genshou said:
Sravoff! Good to see you. Seems like I haven't seen you around this forum for months. :)
Yeah, I was away, but am back now.

For the time being...

-Sravoff

Last edited:

Aus_Snow

First Post
Ah, my apologies genshou. In retrospect, I think I managed to make part of my last post as clear as mud. Brilliant. :D That's what I get for rushing around at lunch time, eh.

Never mind the bit about finesse, shields etc. In scanning things over, I misread the relevant section.

Overall, these house rules look good.

Remove ads