George Lucas Blames 'Star Wars' Critics for Killing Series

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
This was intentional. Not derivative, but an homage. Lucas has always been into classic sci-fi serials and war films,

There's a difference between homage and being derivative, and I think he (or his team) strayed solidly into the latter territory. There is one sequence that literally looked like they grabbed a sequence about the SR-71 from Wings and simply CGIed over it. It wasn't the only one.

Again, not lazy, but an artistic choice.

Stereotypes are the human mind's shortcut; they are your brain being a bit lazy- and we all use them. Using stereotypes- especially racial stereotypes- as a creative tool is thus playing with fire.

And he didn't do anything truly creative with them at all- he just reskinned them as aliens, some just barely.

Again, I don't think the man is racist, not even a bit. But by staying too close to the source material, he turned some sequences in a nice sci-fi pulp movie into some pretty vile stuff.

That is what some would call a "tin ear"- not realizing how something would be perceived by the greater audience- and it's usually the kind of thing that happens when people don't think things through.

Last edited:

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
Well the thing is, he could have satirized the racial stereotypes in some way, so as to show that a) they were part of these old fashioned serials and b) they deserve to be satirized. But he doesn't really have the capacity for satire. He takes himself far too seriously, as his whole "I won't do another Star Wars movie neener neener" attitude shows.

Joker

First Post
But how is he suppose to support himself and his family if he doesn't have a job?
This doesn't seem like a decision he made with his spouse. Quite selfish if you ask me, and deep down I know you did.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Well the thing is, he could have satirized the racial stereotypes in some way, so as to show that a) they were part of these old fashioned serials and b) they deserve to be satirized.

Yes...but also be aware that even if done well, it can fall flat. Remember, Ted Danson was dating Whoopi Goldberg and she persuaded him to do his bit- a shtick SHE wrote- at a Friar's Club roast in blackface as a bit of satire. It didn't go over well.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
But how is he suppose to support himself and his family if he doesn't have a job?
This doesn't seem like a decision he made with his spouse. Quite selfish if you ask me, and deep down I know you did.

He makes enough from royalties, licensing fees, investments, and Lucas Arts' / ILM's other ventures to sustain him.

Starman

Adventurer
He makes enough from royalties, licensing fees, investments, and Lucas Arts' / ILM's other ventures to sustain him.

sarcasm_detector.jpg

Your Sarcasm Detector seems to be malfunctioning. Please recalibrate.

;)

Kaodi

Hero
To be fair to Lucas, I am not sure that " everyone else's " Star Wars, also known as the Expanded Universe, is really the Cat's Meow either. They have taken the series in a couple too many weird and apocalyptic directions if you ask me. The Star Wars Universe seems to be a place where all is relatively calm for millenia and then all Hell breaks loose and a trillion things happen almost simultaneously in relative galactic terms. Luke, Leia and Han need to be retired as characters. They have been through enough.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Not that the original Star Wars movies aren't a cultural icon, but George Lucas has had enormous success in a tough business, far more than many other better creative minds who are toiling away waiting for their big break. The scale of his works subjects them to well-deserved scrutiny. I don't see that he has much to complain about.

And the second trilogy did suck.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I think what Lucas fails to realize is that it's NOT that fans will criticize anyone and anything that changes the Star Wars story. There have been LOTS of Star Wars stories that have been very well received by the fans ("Legacy," "Knights of the Old Republic," "Jedi Academy series"). Fans are willing to go with you if you're respectful of the source material and use it in interesting and faithful ways. Lucas decided instead to totally screw with the source material (apparently on the grounds that it was his and he'd do whatever the heck he wanted with it), and as a result the fans weren't willing to trust him with it.

<snip>

I could go on and on, but I know I don't need to. What others have done with the materials and done well has been very appropriately praised (even if it's not necessarily universally loved), but Lucas was careless with his story, and apparently thinks that the fans owe him devotion for phoning in what was ultimately an unsatisfactory set of movies.

In George Lucas's defense here, I don't think he phoned in his effort on the second trilogy, nor do I consider his work to be intentionally screwing with the source material. I merely think that his ability to tell a story without a lot of help from better writers, editors, and directors is poor. His self-discipline to leave well enough alone is poor. His ability to tell discern the better outcome of his efforts is poor.

I don't doubt that Lucas intended to make good quality movies that would enhance the Star Wars legacy. I believe he failed in the execution, not the intent.

Remove ads