George Lucas Blames 'Star Wars' Critics for Killing Series

Janx

Hero
I had thought most people considered Empire & A New Hope as the best of the series, with Return being a weak finale to the trilogy (Ewoks with rocks & sticks defeating stormtroopers, a neutered Han Solo, too many rubbery looking aliens inserted for merchandising, Ewoks, etc)?

as always when I use the word Most, I'm probably wrong...

How about Empire? That was the best.

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
As some other article I'd read about "who got credit", apparently Lucas did not write any of the original Star Wars. He only directed A New Hope. Most would agree that Empire and Return were the best of all of them (which he neither wrote nor directed).
So, who did write the movie, and why haven't they written any more films?

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
Well, Lucas is the only writer credited on the original screenplay. I had always heard he wrote it with a copy of Joseph Campbell's "Hero's Journey" sitting next to him on the desk, so I'm inclined to believe that he wrote most of the original movie himself.

And in fairness, Lucas was capable of making a good movie prior to Star Wars. American Graffitti is quite a good movie, but the rest of his career was totally swallowed up in Star Wars, and unlike many of his generational peers, he didn't see much point in trying to go beyond that.

I haven't seen Red Tails yet, but it looks like it may have some potential to pull his reputation out of its prequel trilogy funk. If so, then good for him. He may have gotten his mojo back. But he can't pretend that the prequels were something he genuinely should be proud of.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
So, who did write the movie, and why haven't they written any more films?
Lucas wrote and directed Ep 4 (although much of the plot and setting was nicked from other films and classical myth etc). Leigh Brackett and Lawrence Kasdan wrote Ep 5 (although Lucas did work on an interim draft) and it was directed by Irvin Kershner. Kasdan wrote Ep 6 with Lucas, based on Lucas' story and with uncredited contributions from others. Ep 6 was directed by Richard Marquand. Kasdan has written, produced and directed many other films. Brackett and Marquand are both deceased - the former shortly after completing her draft script and the latter a handful of years after Ep 6 was released - but Brackett was a hugely prolific sf author and Marquand a director with tv work and at least one film (iirc) under his belt.

As [MENTION=10107]krunchyfrogg[/MENTION] said they are doing the movies in 3D:

Ugh this just gets my blood boiling, I hate it when companies re-release in 3D especially films that were NOT meant to be in 3D, it just looks cheap and it's a grab at making more money from loyal fans. I definitely will not be going to see them and will not buy them when they come out on 3D blu-ray.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
George Lucas has 99 problems

If you're having film problems I feel bad for you son
I got 99 problems but a fan ain't one

I got the TIE patrol on the cash patrol
Foes that wanna make sure my casket's closed
Film critics that say he's a "CGI Hoe"
I'm from the hood stupid what type of facts are those
If you grew up with holes in your zapatos