• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

George R.R. Martin novel news

BryonD

Hero
Nope just the date.

The old update said 1650 to 1700 pages before he split it into two books and he also said that the next book is now half done due to the split. So I'd guess around 2/3 of 1650 or in the 1100 ballpark.

Alaric_Prympax

First Post
Those are manuscript pages GRRM is talking about. The ratio is one and half manuscript pages to a printed page, at least that's what I've heard (or I should say read) from him in the past. GRRM also said that AFfC should be about the size of AGoT. I hope that helps.

Lalato

Adventurer
Eosin the Red said:
I never noticed the "gratitious sex scenes." I know the book is graphic and not "grandma" safe but they just didn't leap out at me as overly done or overly frequent - and part of aSoI&Fs charm (IMO) is the very base human emotions (revenge, lust, greed, fanatisism) that drive the whole series. Most fiction glosses over sexuality as ocuring off stage and with little bearing on the overall story (Arthur, Lancelot, & Guinevere anyone) but really those desires are core to many great tales. Then again maybe I am a little more desensitized than most?

I agree... I hardly noticed it. I'm not sure why others see it as gratuitous.

I'm eagerly awaiting the next installment, I don't care if it has to be split into two, three or four books. I enjoy reading about all the characters. :)

EDIT: I wrote my comments above before reading the remainder of this thread... please there is no need to continue to the "sex" discussion. ;)

--sam

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Hey, I just noticed something: Joffrey's now-unused sword ("Widow's Wail") is just the right size to replace Needle, some day in the future.

And it kinda belongs with a Stark.

I wonder if Rikkon will get Oathkeeper.

-- N

Andre

First Post
Krafus said:
As for the sex scenes, I'm glad they're in it. Sex is a part of life, and I'm sick of fantasy authors who give us blood and gore by the bucketful but shy away from any mention of sex.

Defecation is a part of life. I don't want explicit defecation scenes in my books. The miracle of birth is a part of life. I don't want explicit birth scenes in my books. There's a big difference between a book having "adult" material and having "mature" material.

IMO, too much of Martin's writing is both adult and immature. A real pity, as he has some good, imaginative ideas for fantasy stories.

Fast Learner

First Post
So very weird to me. It's like when people suggest that breast feeding in public is wrong because we defecate in private. That comparison makes as much sense to me as this one. I'm not mocking; I just literally cannot follow the logic.

Remove ads