• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

George R.R. Martin teases purple wedding for season 4

Herschel

Adventurer
Needing to "know" we have a desired outcome before we actually get involved is, IMO, pathetic, but it explains a lot in our culture.

I doubt that study is about whether it's entertaining to watch other people speculate on a story's outcome when you already know it.

Or, to clarify in a different way:
I find it more entertaining that Herschel (and others) don't know the outcome yet and are busy speculating about it.

And to be honest, I also don't believe that study accounts for the speculation that is possible when people talk about an ongoing series. Such speculation doesn't happen in a movie usually. I will admit that sometimes the final conclusion or relevation is unsatisfying compared to the speculation, but the speculation is its own entertainment.
And in my case, it's more fun if I know the outcome but the others speculating are not.

NewJeffCT

First Post
I doubt that study is about whether it's entertaining to watch other people speculate on a story's outcome when you already know it.

Or, to clarify in a different way:
I find it more entertaining that Herschel (and others) don't know the outcome yet and are busy speculating about it.

And to be honest, I also don't believe that study accounts for the speculation that is possible when people talk about an ongoing series. Such speculation doesn't happen in a movie usually. I will admit that sometimes the final conclusion or relevation is unsatisfying compared to the speculation, but the speculation is its own entertainment.
And in my case, it's more fun if I know the outcome but the others speculating are not.

I've read A Song of Ice & Fire and enjoy the TV show and seeing some of the big events play out as part of the show and how the showrunners have generally followed Martin's overall plot (Ned/Drogo dying, dragons being born, Blackwater, Red Wedding, etc) . I've also read past issue 100 of The Walking Dead and feel the show suffers most when it does deviate from the graphic novels.

Remove ads