• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gestalt characters & monster classes

Verethragna

Explorer
In a game using the gestalt optional rules, how would monster classes work? Would you allow PCs to take a monster class level as well as a normal class level until you completed the monster class, and then two classes per level therafter? Should monster level adjustments be reduced to account for the more powerful gestalt levels, and how much?

Far as I know there's no official ruling on how to incorporate monstrous levels.

There's two ways I've seen it done:

1. Treat them as normal levels, 1/2 the Gestalt monster, the other half character levels.

2. Split the monster LA and put them on both sides. For instance a Pixie Monster loses 2 Gestalt levels for it's +4 LA.

I believe the split-LA levels produces a weaker creature, since the Gestalt monster is actually down Skill Points, HD, and Saves where if the LA just takes up half the monster gets those for it's PC half.

geosapient

First Post
I made a gestalt ettin once as an NPC. I just treated its level adjustment as its race (which it is) and stacked the gestalt levels on top of that.

It definitely wasn't a weak character.

zypherillius

First Post
gestalt terrasque

i always thought it would be fun to apply the paragon template out of either the mm II or III, then gestalt it out so you can have 5 ranks in knowledge planes and have the terrasque neraphs charge somebody, and having 10d6 sneak attack to add to it. something just strikes me as quite funny being snuck up on by something the size of a small block, slamming at your flat-footed, AND adding 10d6 sneak attack.

Blightersbane

First Post
My most recent character just so happens to be my 1st monster build. I chose the Centaur template class for this new Fey based campaign. The DM decided that all players were to choose the template class alternative to LA. We started out at 4th level and we have just reached 6th.

6 Centaur / 2 Barbarian / 4 Cleric with the Travel & Water Domains, his name is Blightersbane he has as a family heirloom 1 decanter of endless water. So you may have guessed Blightersbane as the name suggests travels around putting out fires and hunting would be destroyers of my forest.

Blightersbane

Thanee

First Post
Verethragna said:
In a game using the gestalt optional rules, how would monster classes work? Would you allow PCs to take a monster class level as well as a normal class level until you completed the monster class, and then two classes per level therafter? Should monster level adjustments be reduced to account for the more powerful gestalt levels, and how much?

Level Adjustment should raise the total level of the character.
Monster 'Levels' (i.e. Racial HD) can be used as one side of the Gestalt.

An Ogre/Fighter Gestalt character should look like this:

1st LA
2nd LA
3rd Ogre 1st|Fighter 1st
4th Ogre 2nd|Fighter 2nd
5th Ogre 3rd|Fighter 3rd
6th Ogre 4th|Fighter 4th

Anything else is way too easily abusable.

Bye
Thanee

Storyteller01

First Post
The way we've run it so far:

We have a trollkin totemist 4/fellcaller 4 with a +1 LA. He's a 5th level character.

We also have a black dragon 5/sorcer 5, via a dragon mag monster class.

The trollkin took a hit to both classes, but he gets a feat every 3 levels, attribute every 4 four levels, as well as hp, skill points, and save increases at every level (ie: he has the HD, skills, and saves of a 4th level character).

The dragon, even though it looks like they get a boost, isn't so lucky. His spellcasting improves every level, but we ruled that his skills, saves, and HD will still raise as per the dragon (they're all the higher of the two classes). So he's got the hp, skills, and saves of a 3 HD critter.

We also ruled that since he is taking a monster class, he follows the rules of that situation. So he doesn't get the feat every 3rd level or attribute bonus every 4th level. He gets what the monster class allows. As for as feats go, he has the fewest among the party. And while he does get some significant attribute bonuses, he doesn't get to pick where they go. He's not going to have a charisma increase any time soon.

My two cents...

Verethragna

Explorer
Thanks for the messages.

It'd be nice to be able to use the printed monster classes when they're available, but putting all the level adjustment just on one side doesnt seem entirely fair. Putting it all on both sides doesn't seem fair either. I think what I may try is a standard monster class (thus including LA) on one side, half the LA rounded down + standard classes on the other until the monster class is done. Eyeballing it looks okay.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
My take would be, since you're running a gestalt game anyway, just ignore the LA altogether, start yout guy at level 1/1 [whatever two classes you want], and bump your 'XP required to level' up to the appropriate level. Of course, you being an effectively higher-level PC will mean that the party average goes up, menaing more xp per encounter, but now the DM is well within his right to throw harder monsters at you, which may irk your other players. ;)

Or, do what Thanee mentionned to be more in line with the RAW. She is THE source on here for d20 crunch, or so I think. :)

Remove ads