• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gestalt Help

Helmed

First Post
I'd like some advice on a Gestalt build, if anyone has the time.

Current plan: Race: Gray elf; Fixed class: Rogue

Other Class/es
Levels 1-5: Wizard
Levels 6-10: Spellwarp Sniper
Levels 11-20: Wizard / PrC?

at Level 1:
take racial substitution Generalist Wizardry (Races of the Wild, pg 157) and
lose familiar for Beleaguered Spellcaster (Dragon 357, pg 88); Feat: PBS (for Spellwarp prereq)

The original plan was to finish levels 11-20 with Unseen Seer, but then I noticed the "cost" of Divination Spell Power.

Rules notes:
1. One of the classes cannot change and must be from the PHB.
2. Must take at least three levels in any class entered before changing to a new class.
3. Sources include any WotC material (other than MoI), and -with DM approval- Dragon Magazine or Malhavoc Press material.

Assuming the PC survives long enough, what would you recommend for Levels 11-20?
Note: I am trying to avoid losing caster levels.

Thank you.

Rampant

First Post
At that point I'd just say keep going wizard. Your build's established and you'll want access to polar ray more than anything else I imagine.

emoplato

First Post
Well, you could offset the penalty of the Unseen seer with practiced spellcaster since it just takes cl's and not spells. Also since you are fixing the rogue as your base see if you can take the penetrating strike ACF, replace trap sense with the ability to deal 1/2 of your sneak attack damage to things normally immune. Since it seems you want sneak attack you could just take the classic arcane trickster. Impromptu sneak attack even though usable only a couple times a day still gives you a back up ability to render people flat-footed since it can be difficult for ranged characters to catch people as such with the uncanny dodges. It also has full casting with no CL penalty. For those aren't familiar with it, namely me, what does the beleaguered spellcaster do?

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
You can do at least 2 levels in Unseen Seer before the -1 CL hits.

As an Elf, you can enter Abjurant Champion (C.Mage). The full BAB it grants may or may not be useful to you depending on how your DM handles gestalt BAB.

A single level in Spellsword doesn't hurt your CL and lets you ignore 10% of arcane spell failure.

Archmage, if you can tolerate its awful feat requirements, has stuff great for any mage, and the arcane fire high arcana, which usually sucks, is nice for a rogue/mage for an unlimited ranged touch attack.

Last edited:

Helmed

First Post
[MENTION=6674868]RUMBLETiGER[/MENTION]: Controlling the battlefield, invisibly; stealth sniper

[MENTION=97812]emoplato[/MENTION]: Practiced spellcaster doesn't seem like a bad option.
I've typed the following with as little info as possible because I'm uncertain how "shareable" Dragon Magazine content is, so Mods please Delete if at all in question.
Beleaguered Spellcaster replaces Summon Familiar. When PC takes damage equal to 3xCL from one attack, the next spell PC casts is max'd or extend'd. Usuable 1 + casting mod / day.

@ StreamOfTheSky -
"Rule 2. Must take at least three levels in any class entered before changing to a new class."
I've been looking at Abjurant Champion, but I'm afraid it is more melee oriented than my PC will be able to handle.
Archmage's feat requirements are as you say "AWFUL".

emoplato

First Post
Okay, I understand why you don't want a familiar but this option doesn't sound like a good one. You do realize at your higher levels that is massive damage in which you would have to roll to die or not. I am not saying that this will help cause it, but as a stealthy person you would rather avoid it entirely. I would ask the DM if you could have a wizard bonus feat instead of the familiar. It is a feature that can have a lot of benefits and options for a character so I don't think it is unreasonable. You also can get a much more multi-class friendly one through a feat which is another reason why to ask for it.
Here is what I would do, take three levels of wizard. Then keep the spellwarp sniper, great class. I would only take the Unseen seer up to 5 where the major boon is, guarded mind you also get two advanced learning(see if you can get the arcane fusion and its greater version). Then rest as arcane trickster more sneak attack and an ability to automatically use it. As for extending spellwarp sniper like ability get both the ocular spell and echo spell. You have to use both of these so get both practical metamagic and arcane thesis(arcane fusion and its greater), if you can. Then prepare an arcane fusion or greater at higher levels with ocular spell. The limitation is that you only can prepare two spells a day no matter how many eyes you have. The Echo spell helps you bypass it because it returns just the way it is one hour later at a -4 cl, but practiced spellcaster helps that out. The arcane fusions allows you to use any two spells you know at a time the first L5 one 4 and one 1, the greater L8 one 7 and one 4.

Helmed

First Post
Spellwarp requires Spellcasting ability of 3rd level spells; so five levels of wizard are required.

Advanced Learning is divination only. DM won't bend for universal.
I think Arcane fusion would require taking the feat Extra Spell with ability to cast level 6 spells or 9 levels of Wrym Wizard; and its greater version would require taking the feat Extra Spell with ability to cast level 9 spells. The only other thing that works is a changling PrC, or so I have been informed.

Practical Metamagic is for spontaneous not prepared casters.

I'll rethink Beleaguered.

emoplato

First Post
Well still, I suggest some Arcane Trickster it benefits you more especially if you only can take divination spells through Advanced Learning. I mean is there even a divination spell outside of a wizard worth it? It is not like you can't have the non-detection spell.
As for Practical metamagic is your race locked in stone? If not, then you should look at a dragonwrought desert kobold. Now, there is controversy of using this because people use the language of the ritual to consider it a true dragon but the actual definitive benefit alone will help you, so just ignore them. When you are leveling in Spellwarp sniper take sorcerer along with it, sorcerer is a kobold's favored class, so no XP penalty. Then you have the qualifications for that feat, while not majorly suffering on stats. Since you officially have sorcerer spells you can prepare arcane fusion and its big brother the way I said. As for familiar number two, there are many good ACF's a sorcerer has to choose from to replace a familiar.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads