• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gestalt Paladin/Rogue Archer build help?

domino

First Post
Right, I know the above concept is a lot like saying "So, I've chopped off this guy's leg, can you help me train him for the marathon?"

But, that's the plan. Right now, I'm planning on taking rogue all the way down, and drop paladin right before the mount shows up (or turn undead, whichever comes first) to avoid the more obvious divine powers. I'm thinking of swapping over to fighter after that, for bonus feats, and then probably take Initiate of the Order of the Bow for a while.

Any suggestions on feats or gear that would fit? The obvious stuff like Elhonna's Quiver I've already got plans for, but I'm not sure what's in the other (non core) books that might fit.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Consider being an Elf for Elf Paladin sub levels ("ranged smite" = happy archer).

There's nothing bad about a Paladin // Rogue. With a high Charisma, you should max out your Use Magic Device skill.

Here's one interesting build:
Rogue 4 // Paladin 4

At 5th level, take Rogue 5 // Sorcerer 1. Your two spells shall be true strike and feather fall.

Then, Rogue 6-15 // Dragon Disciple 1-10. Bonus spell slots (from DD) go into Paladin spells, which are mildly better than extra castings of Sorcerer spells. Natural flight = happy archer.

Cheers, -- N

domino

First Post
Elf Paladin is an idea. Right now, I've got him as a human, relying on two shortswords for melee backup. And I still don't have enough skill points to do what I want, but I'll definitely look into the Sub Levels.

FalcWP

Explorer
Pick up the Devoted Inquisitor feat (Complete Adventurer) - if you sneak attack and smite someone at the same time, they have to make a will save or be stunned.

If you do hang around long enough to get the mount, pick up Mounted Combat, Mounted Archery, and Improved Mounted Archery (Complete Warrior).

Complete Warrior has a number of feats that might help you, from Improved Rapid Shot to Extra Smiting. Ranged Disarm and Ranged Pin may also be good. The Divine feats are also handy, but probably a bit too overtly divine for your tastes.

You're probably planning on going with a bow, but the crossbow might not be a bad option. Pick up a light crossbow, grab Rapid Reload, Weapon Focus, and Crossbow Sniper (from PHB II), and you'll be able to do extra damage (half your dex bonus)... plus, it extends the range at which you can sneak attack to 60 feet.

Obviously, all the standard archer-type feats are going to be important, as well. Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, Precise Shot, etc. Don't forget Quick Draw, either.

domino

First Post
FalcWP said:
Pick up the Devoted Inquisitor feat (Complete Adventurer) - if you sneak attack and smite someone at the same time, they have to make a will save or be stunned.

If you do hang around long enough to get the mount, pick up Mounted Combat, Mounted Archery, and Improved Mounted Archery (Complete Warrior).

Complete Warrior has a number of feats that might help you, from Improved Rapid Shot to Extra Smiting. Ranged Disarm and Ranged Pin may also be good. The Divine feats are also handy, but probably a bit too overtly divine for your tastes.

Obviously, all the standard archer-type feats are going to be important, as well. Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, Precise Shot, etc. Don't forget Quick Draw, either.
To address the points in reverse order;

Yeah, I'll be picking up those various feats as soon as I can, of course. Part of the reason for the switch over to fighter.

The mounted feats, I won't really bother with, I plan on dropping the class before I'd get the special mount, to avoid the spells, and not bother with mediocre turning.

But Devoted Inquisitor looks like a good possiblity, that would work well.

FalcWP

Explorer
Yeah, Shadowbane Stalker has some decent potential for you. However, you'll be racking up extra spells (all but two levels increase your casting power). The Shadowbane Inquistor doesn't increase in spellcasting, but is more of a melee class (requires Power Attack, gets Improved Sunder, etc.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads