• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Get a role in the new D&D movie!

Stormonu

Legend
Wow, do I sense desperation. This sounds like direct-to-dvd fail surpassing the horror that was The Dragonlance cartoon. Based on the Book of Vile Darkness, filmed in Lousiana, gotta use the flawed online builder and going to let untested talent be the "main" bad guy?

Sounds to me like a stunt just to try and promote DDI...

frankthedm

First Post
let untested talent be the "main" bad guy?
Where are you reading "main" bad guy from? This is a mook added to a fight where the budget will be running low. The character is either a merc or doing this for the Evulz

That's right, you'll be packing your bags for Louisiana where the upcoming original movie, Book of Vile Darkness, will finish shooting after weeks of production in Eastern Europe. There, with a little help from the talented hair and make-up department, you’ll be transformed into the winning character your created and then whisked off to the set to portray that character in an epic battle scene in the movie.

TOC is worth a read too. Food is not included, taxes are not included and any fees dreamed up by the locals are not included.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/CastYourRole_rules.pdf
Wizards assumes no responsibility for any travel delays or travel cancellations. Any meals, taxes, transport, tips/gratuities, room charges or other expenses not specified herein are the sole responsibility of the Grand Prize Package winner. A credit card is required for hotel check-in. A form of government-issued photo identification and, in the event the winner is a Canadian citizen, a valid passport, is required for air travel. Any difference between stated approximate value and actual value of Grand Prize Package will not be awarded. The Grand Prize Package is not transferable and may not be redeemed for cash. The winner is also solely responsible for paying all applicable federal, state and local taxes, and all other expenses associated with the Grand Prize Package not explicitly stated herein.

And it sounds like one has to walk to the set each day since the the prize only states
one round trip coach air transportation from an airport nearest Grand Prize winner’s residence within the U.S. or Canada (airport, carrier, itinerary, and destination to be determined by Wizards) to Baton Rouge, Louisiana, the location of the set for filming of the “Book of Vile Darkness” movie;
So the winner better pray the set is close to the hotel and not miles deep in a swamp.

Last edited:

Meek

First Post
Dual-Wielding Drow guy comin' right up sir.

Though I guess in this case he'd have to dual-wield wands.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
Ugh... given the TOC and the locale, I'm guessing that maybe this BoVD movie is actually a reality documentary detailing the epic struggles of some poor D&D-playing schmuck as he does battle with skeeters, gators and chafing armor, all in order to fulfill his dream of starring in the epic "Dungeons & Dragons" film along with Angelina Jolie as the sexy succubus, only to eventually arrive at his destination to learn that the whole thing was a ruse thought up by callous b-movie Hollywood execs in order to make a fistful of dollars by appealing to the masses' voyeuristic fascination with geekdom and the crushing despair that comes with seeing a real human being's life-long dreams dissolve in a buzzing mist of mosquitoes and muddy tears, all accompanied by the sad strums of a slightly out-of-tune banjo.

Yeah, I'd watch that.

Oryan77

Adventurer
Do you believe that the winner will actually appear in the final cut of the movie? I'm only wondering because things don't really make much sense with this contest. It seems more like a ploy to get people to subscribe to the DDI than to actually get a fan in the movie.

For one, look at the list of races that they are telling us to base the character on (that you would then play as in the movie):

* Bladeling
* Changeling
* Deva
* Drow
* Duergar
* Dwarf
* Eladrin
* Elf
* Genasi
* Githyanki
* Githzerai
* Goblin
* Half-Elf
* Half-Orc
* Hobgoblin
* Kalashtar
* Kenku
* Longtooth Shifter
* Mul
* Orc
* Razorclaw Shifter
* Revenant
* Tiefling
* Wilden

I mean, that is quite a range of races that could appear in the movie. I really doubt they have scenes involving each one of those races.

From a production standpoint, that isn't the kind of thing that you just toss in to your script willy-nilly & last minute. They have to already know the scene that this character will appear in. So I'm assuming they have a scene already planned out which could involve any of those races. But that seems like a bit of a stretch.

Even as an extra, the character placement needs to make sense with the scene. Perhaps the scene is a group of evil patrons in a tavern. But then what's with the Deva? Are there evil Devas in 4e? A fallen Deva seems like a bit much for this scenario. Why include that as a potential character?

Then, there is the fact that they are not asking for mugshots. I mean, they do say, "with a little help from the talented hair and make-up department", but I've seen what we look like and it won't require a "little" help. :p

What if the winning guy is a Drow, but in real life, he's a 300 lb 6'5" Neckbeard? Or maybe it's a woman, and her winning character is a Githzerai, but she is actually 4"9 and 200 lbs? Or maybe it is a man, but he made a female elf character. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just being realistic. The movie industry isn't known for being kind to people that would not look good on camera.

It doesn't actually say that you will appear in the final edit of the film. And even if you do, I've seen contest winners that got to appear in film or tv, and it was not cool at all. They stick you in a crowded scene, far back in the shot where you are barely visible, and you appear on camera for less than half a second. This has to be their intent in this case.

And honestly, would you really want to be associated with a D&D movie? If any of you end up being a contest winner, be sure that I'll blame you personally for the movie bombing. :p

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Then, there is the fact that they are not asking for mugshots. I mean, they do say, "with a little help from the talented hair and make-up department", but I've seen what we look like and it won't require a "little" help. :p

What if the winning guy is a Drow, but in real life, he's a 300 lb 6'5" Neckbeard? Or maybe it's a woman, and her winning character is a Githzerai, but she is actually 4"9 and 200 lbs? Or maybe it is a man, but he made a female elf character. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just being realistic. The movie industry isn't known for being kind to people that would not look good on camera.
But I happen to know that in real life, Klaus looks just like a hawt female drow elf.

Remove ads