• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Get Rid of Splatbooks Altogether

P1NBACK

Banned
Banned
A splatbook by any other name ...

Calling a splatbook a splatbook.

I disagree.

I think a splatbook is a book that simply has a bunch of extra options, simply for the sake of extra options, half of which you probably never use.

While an adventure puts the new rules into context and you're instantly using them. Even if your players never pick the class, fine, you have an NPC with it. Or, a villain that's casting the new spells at them.

P1NBACK

Banned
Banned
I think I'd prefer the splatbook to including all of that info in an adventure that may or may not appeal to me. I'd rather have a book with several interesting and thematic options in it for my efficiency. I'd rather consult a couple of books than a dozen modules (some of which I may not have bought yet).

I don't mind things like this being introduced in an adventure when they're integrated into it, but I don't see why a set of ideas would have to wait until there's a pertinent adventure for it.

Good points, Bill. Me? I have the same problem with "consulting a dozen splatbooks".

Personally, I'd rather have the stuff consolidated for me using web tools.

As for the idea of waiting, I don't think that has to be true. You can have a series of adventures with new rules. Players and DMs could play through these adventures, use the new rules in their home brew games, etc.

And, then, pick the most popular and most used rules and consolidate them into the next Player's Handbook. That way, you get the "best of the best" instead of filling up splatbook after splatbook of whacky stuff just to make new stuff to fill up the books.

Incenjucar

Legend
I hate it when someone tries to tell me that in order to get *this* I also must buy *that*.

Exactly. It's bad enough that economic realities prevent them from splitting content up into little tidbits so we can get ONLY what we want, but having to buy 64 pages of product for 4 pages of content we actually want is lame.

SKyOdin

First Post
I don't buy adventures. I have no desire for adventures. So why should I have to buy 50 or so pages of adventure to get the 10-20 pages of class and player option that I do want? This is the exact same problem I had with putting the Sword-mage in the Forgotten Realms Players Guide. I like sword mages, but I don't like the Forgotten Realms, so I have thus far skipped out on buying the book.

Lets keep player options in PHBs and splatbooks.

triqui

Adventurer
Not one of my 4E players bought books. They all had DDI.

Secondly, for the non-internet players, the DM will own the adventure and can always photocopy it, etc.
No, legally they can't photocopyit. And it's not about having Internet, is about having a DDI subscription, two completely different things.

Why do you want to buy a book full of classes for one class you want to play?
Becouse:
a) those books have more things that classes. They have feats, spells, gear and options. You have more options to choose from, not just a class.

b) hopefully you will play more than once. Hence, the second time you play, you can choose a class diferent to the first one you played.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Good points, Bill. Me? I have the same problem with "consulting a dozen splatbooks".

Personally, I'd rather have the stuff consolidated for me using web tools.

Me, I'd rather have something I can consult offline. I would certainly tolerate an app for my iPad that has all the pertinent text. That would be like consulting a single book. There are a couple of them out there for Pathfinder that are really useful and incorporate the PFSRD.

And, then, pick the most popular and most used rules and consolidate them into the next Player's Handbook. That way, you get the "best of the best" instead of filling up splatbook after splatbook of whacky stuff just to make new stuff to fill up the books.

I don't mind some of the whacky stuff. In fact, I prefer it sometimes over the stuff judged the best of the best by the hoi polloi.

P1NBACK

Banned
Banned
I don't buy adventures. I have no desire for adventures. So why should I have to buy 50 or so pages of adventure to get the 10-20 pages of class and player option that I do want? This is the exact same problem I had with putting the Sword-mage in the Forgotten Realms Players Guide. I like sword mages, but I don't like the Forgotten Realms, so I have thus far skipped out on buying the book.

Lets keep player options in PHBs and splatbooks.

I feel your pain. But, someone is buying the splatbook for a class and ignoring the rest... Splatbooks present the same problem as the Forgotten Realms issue.

This is why I suggested the DDI solution.

BeholderBurger

First Post
I would like 5E to get rid of splatbooks altogether, instead focusing on producing adventures.

So, what about new classes, races, weapons, powers, spells, monsters, blah blah blah come from?

I'm glad you asked!

They will be in the adventure module itself. In the fact, the whole concept is that this new content will be used, and therefore highlighted, in the adventure itself.

A group of feats or proficiencies taught only by the trainers of the remote village which happens to be the central location in the adventure. A new race that happens to be a nearby tribe in the mountains east of the village. A new class that a friendly NPC has and can teach you. Several weapons developed by the monsters (which are new btw) and villagers in the region. A villain's spellbook filled with all new spells earned when you defeat him, etc.

Of course, the DM can always use the adventure, or just steal the ideas and cool new features.

I also think new rules would be well-introduced in an adventure. Stronghold building rules? Sure. This adventure features the PCs refurbishing a monster-infested stronghold after they clear it. Sailing and Sea Vessel rules? Great. This adventure features the PCs adventuring on the high seas. Mercenaries and army rules? Ok. This adventure features the PCs recruiting an army to face off against the oncoming plague of orcs (or whatever).

Why this method?

A) Instead of just a boring list of new crap, we get to see it in context. We get to see it used in cool and interesting ways that inspires us to use it in cool and interesting ways. And, we also don't get stuff the designers haven't used already.

B) Stuff gets playtested! I'm assuming modules get playtested. I'm not so sure a big list of feats and spells do. By incorporating this stuff into the module itself, you get to hit two birds with one stone!

C) But... only DMs buy adventures! ... Sure. But, players buy DDI. And, we can consolidate this stuff into DDI so that you don't necessarily have to buy the adventures. But, if you do, it's not like a splat book that sits on your shelf getting no use because, hell, who uses those things when you have DDI?

D) We get more adventures. And, whether you write your own stuff or run published modules as-is, more inspiration and stuff to steal from is always good in my book.

Is this feasible? I think so.

I agree totally with you. The proliferation of boring non-campaign specific splatbooks is one thing I have grown to dislike about D&D. It wouldn't be so bad if they also produced lots of campaign and adventure material for DM's in tandem but they have been effectively replaced by these splatbooks which cater mainly for players.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads