• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Get Rid of Splatbooks Altogether

Janaxstrus

First Post
I agree totally with you. The proliferation of boring non-campaign specific splatbooks is one thing I have grown to dislike about D&D. It wouldn't be so bad if they also produced lots of campaign and adventure material for DM's in tandem but they have been effectively replaced by these splatbooks which cater mainly for players.

For every 1 DM, there are 1-7 (or more) players in that DM's campaign. It's just good business sense to make more things that appeal to the players than to the DM only.

Other companies concentrate on making good adventures, and if they could ever manage to bury the hatchet and team back up, I think we'd see good adventures for D&D again. Even then, however, I want my theme/kit/prestige classes, feats, options etc to come from books, not adventures.

P1NBACK

Banned
Banned
I agree totally with you. The proliferation of boring non-campaign specific splatbooks is one thing I have grown to dislike about D&D. It wouldn't be so bad if they also produced lots of campaign and adventure material for DM's in tandem but they have been effectively replaced by these splatbooks which cater mainly for players.

Yup. I have the feeling most people who would be against this are players, which is cool.

I'm just coming at this from the POV of a Dungeon Master. Someone who is looking for inspiration and context. I want campaign material. I want a new item to be an adventure seed, a new class a link to the campaign world, a new spell something unique and found in a treasure haul. I don't have a need for 100 new options every month for characters I may or may not play at some point down the road. :)

Incenjucar

Legend
Players don't have nearly as much power of creation as DMs, so they pretty much rely on official material. DMing, on the other hand, is very creation-oriented, so a large portion of them have no use for additional material.

--

Also, if player material is in adventures, you'll end up being unable to run pre-made adventures because the players have read them all.

Mengu

First Post
I don't care about published adventures. I've never run one. So, if all they ever published were adventures, they would not make money off me. I'm not likely to buy splat books either, if they have an online subscription like 4e. My consumer list is pretty simple.

I won't buy adventures.
I'm not likely to buy splat books.
I may buy campaign resources.
I may buy maps, tiles, terrain.
I will buy miniatures.
I will buy an e-subscription that gives me some tools, articles, and new character options to keep the game fresh.

BeholderBurger

First Post
Players don't have nearly as much power of creation as DMs, so they pretty much rely on official material. DMing, on the other hand, is very creation-oriented, so a large portion of them have no use for additional material.

--

Also, if player material is in adventures, you'll end up being unable to run pre-made adventures because the players have read them all.

I disagree with this (if I am taking your meaning correctly that is) In the old days of BECM this situation was essentially the norm as adventures that came out were the locus of all new items and spells. I would see that as the golden age of D&D when it hadn't been refined into the money making enterprise it is now.

Janaxstrus

First Post
I don't care about published adventures. I've never run one. So, if all they ever published were adventures, they would not make money off me. I'm not likely to buy splat books either, if they have an online subscription like 4e. My consumer list is pretty simple.

I won't buy adventures.
I'm not likely to buy splat books.
I may buy maps, tiles, terrain.
I will buy miniatures.
I will buy an e-subscription that gives me some tools, articles, and new character options to keep the game fresh.

I will buy adventures...if they can match 3rd party quality.
I will buy splat books.
I won't buy maps, tiles, terrain...ever.
I will buy miniatures, if they ever produce quality ones again.
I won't buy an e-subscription
addendum:
I will pay a premium for books (core and splat) that come with PDF versions for ease of use DMing.

Incenjucar

Legend
I disagree with this (if I am taking your meaning correctly that is) In the old days of BECM this situation was essentially the norm as adventures that came out were the locus of all new items and spells. I would see that as the golden age of D&D when it hadn't been refined into the money making enterprise it is now.

And in the punchcard days a computer admin had to worry about book worms. It doesn't really apply anymore.

To everyone who is complaining about what they won't buy, I remind them of the 4E champions complaining about "grognards who haven't bought anything in 20 years."

Money, mouth.

Incenjucar

Legend
To everyone who is complaining about what they won't buy, I remind them of the 4E champions complaining about "grognards who haven't bought anything in 20 years."

Money, mouth.

I have no idea what you are trying to say.

I mean cripes I bought some D&D minis that were still lingering on the shelves a few weeks ago. How does that compare to people who haven't bought anything in 20 years?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads