• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Get rid of Strength bonus for to hit

Zoatebix

Working on it
That would be a good Poll topic - How many of you allow STR modifiers to add to touch attack rolls?

Personally - I think it's silly, too.
-George

Last edited:

This makes sense to a point, but I would think that after a while the strength of the character would provide diminishing returns. Once you were strong enough to easily manuver the weapon, I don't think there is any more benefits to being stronger other than the amount force the attack will have.

Untrue, and I can say that from personal experience. (Started a bit of sword training not that long ago.)

Stronger combatants hit faster, as a general rule, because there's more power in the swing. Speed of movement may be Dex-based, but speed of the swing is a factor of Strength, when put in game terms. Stronger combatants can also shove their way through parries much more easily.

Finally, remember the abstract nature of the D&D combat system. Armor makes you harder to hit, not because people actually miss you more often when you're in armor, but because a lot of the shots that technically land don't actually penetrate. Strength is the counter to that. If you're going to remove Strength from the to-hit occasion, you must also remove armor for the AC equation, making it DR instead. (This can, of course, be done, and has in several books. My point, though, is that you really can't change the first without also stripping all logic from the second.)

Darklone

Agreeing about Mousys POV. Strong dudes fight faster, even with light weapons. Being a rather dextrous dude, gaining 15 kg over the last few years made me better at fighting even though I practised much less.

And even if you would prefer a dex based to hit system, it's a major change in the balance of all attributes... e.g. the whole game system. Grim n Gritty is an option or other premade systems and there are many other game systems who offer similar mechanics...

Str to touch attacks: Nope :)

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Yep. Your goal is to get the weapon onto the person's face before the person can move out of the way. To do that, you have to move the weapon really really fast. The stronger you are, the faster you can move it.

The same thing holds true even with touch attacks. Stronger you are, faster you can lash your hand out to slap someone upside the head and deliver the touch attack. Faster you slap, less chance they have of dodging.

Daniel

Fairome

First Post
On the note of reduced HP, a friend of mine came up with the following system that gets dirty quickly, but isn't insane.

Basically, you get your first hit die from your class. It's maxed out, as normal, but every level thereafter, you only add your Con bonus. However, your HP maxes out at 30.

Not only does this make HP much more precious, it also make Toughness a useful feat.

I added a twist, in that taking Toughness increases your HP and your Max HP, meaning you could have up to 33 HP, to a maximum of 45.

I like the system, and have used it in many a game. I plan to continue using it, too, simply for that moment of...

Fighter:
"I'll just rush through the wall of flame and take the AoO from the bugbear! I can take the dam... oh, damn."

Remove ads