D&D 4E Get WotC 4e's Online Character Builder to work or get a sub

darkbard

Legend
I doubt at this point they actually want to kill the tools. If anything, I'd expect them now to start allowing new subs. Or maybe licensing OCB to someone who'd want to make an alternate CB.

Revenue from old edition > no revenue from old edition. And the initial sales of 5e core books is probably slowing.

That makes sense logically. You have more faith than I, though, in their ability to implement logic and sound business planning. Besides, didn't they begin disallowing new subscriptions quite a while after 5E's release? Or does memory fail me.

In any case, we can continue to dream of WotC releasing the CB for sale and offline use or licensing it out, but I'm not holding my breath. I think your raised possibility of allowing new subs would be far more likely, though who would want to do so when half the tools don't work for most users, is beyond me.

I'm in a cynical mood today, it appears.

Tony Vargas

Legend
AFAIK, we have the same constantly updating win 10 as everyone. IE is hidden under Windows accessories instead of being with the MS "apps." I have Edge and it will endlessly prompt you to install silverlight rather than just admit incompatibility.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I personally am considering building a tool for creating the custom content in the 4e Offline Character Builder

Largely just an interface for XML creation ;)

darkbard

Legend
AFAIK, we have the same constantly updating win 10 as everyone. IE is hidden under Windows accessories instead of being with the MS "apps." I have Edge and it will endlessly prompt you to install silverlight rather than just admit incompatibility.

Aha! Thanks for this knowledge, Tony. I had thought Edge replaced IE completely, not having checked the Accessories folder. That said, while IE gets close to loading the builder for me (i.e., loads that familiar image of sleepy adventurers around a campfire and the rotating hourglass), it hangs at this point and returns an unspecified error without finishing the loading process.

MwaO

Adventurer
Aha! Thanks for this knowledge, Tony. I had thought Edge replaced IE completely, not having checked the Accessories folder. That said, while IE gets close to loading the builder for me (i.e., loads that familiar image of sleepy adventurers around a campfire and the rotating hourglass), it hangs at this point and returns an unspecified error without finishing the loading process.

There's apparently something like this?

"If you use Microsoft Edge, you can click menu > Open With Internet Explorer on any web page to quickly open that web page in Internet Explorer."

It also mentions a Firefox ESR version.

https://www.howtogeek.com/221720/ho...ght-and-other-browser-plug-ins-on-windows-10/

Tony Vargas

Legend

Sounds like it's working normally... ;(

Unspecified error is sooo helpful, thank you, Mr Gates. I suppose you could try installing silverlight from ie? Dunno, PC foibles have passed me by.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Safari used to be available for windows but they quit updating it (Not recommended anymore though it was fairly impressive and functional)

MwaO

Adventurer
Safari used to be available for windows but they quit updating it (Not recommended anymore though it was fairly impressive and functional)

I don't know if it still works, but if the only use of Safari for Windows is to:
Load Silverlight
Load OCB

There shouldn't be any security concerns there unless WotC are truly idiots.

I have windows 7 on my desktop and I use its (dated) version of IE. Works like a charm to this day, but can confirm no other browser works.

Just checked IE on my Win10 laptop. This is probably the first time I've ever used IE on this thing, and can confirm that the character builder works 100%.

darkbard

Legend
There's apparently something like this?

"If you use Microsoft Edge, you can click menu > Open With Internet Explorer on any web page to quickly open that web page in Internet Explorer."

It also mentions a Firefox ESR version.

https://www.howtogeek.com/221720/ho...ght-and-other-browser-plug-ins-on-windows-10/

I tried the Firefox ESR version but couldn't get it to work. In fact, despite multiple efforts, I couldn't get the ESR but only the upgraded Firefox browser to download and install. Maybe this is because I had previously run Firefox with updates? Dunno. But even unistalling Firefox, it still only installed the updated version.

I have, however, had no problems running the CB via Internet Explorer after that inital problem I described above.

Remove ads