• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Getting a book on release day

tyrlaan

Explorer
This might prove to be a silly question, but I figured I'd throw it out there anyway.

I'm looking to get my paws on PHB3 on the day it comes out and not later than that.

My question is how to succeed at this, with the following caveats:
- I don't want to support my LFGS because it is does not deserve my (or anyone's) business
- I am looking to pay less than cover price

On the latter point, Amazon has, as always, a good deal on the book, but they're claiming it won't arrive until the end of the week or the following week. Therefore it's an unacceptable solution.

So, anyone have suggestions or ideas? Or am I stuck buying somewhere else at cover price? :p

Drkfathr1

First Post
Beware of Amazon. They are notorious for their shipping dates being waaaay wrong. Sometimes you'll get it quick, but usually it'll be late.

You're best bet is probably to hit the local Borders or Waldenbooks if you manage to have a 25% or 30% coupon that week.

Otherwise, you're paying cover price.

Kez Darksun

Explorer
I'll second Borders. Thats where I usually buy my books with 30-40% off coupons. You'll need to be a Borders Rewards member, but that is free to sign up.

Asmor

First Post
Beware of Amazon. They are notorious for their shipping dates being waaaay wrong. Sometimes you'll get it quick, but usually it'll be late.

Probably depends on where you live. I recall back when I used to order from them a lot, I typically got the order in 2 business days using the free shipping with an estimate of something like 5-9 days. Of course, that was also a long time ago, I don't order much from them anymore...

As has been said, just go to any big chain store (B&N, Borders, etc) and ask them to order it for you. They'll call you when they get it and hold it for you.

Glyfair

Explorer

You're best bet is probably to hit the local Borders or Waldenbooks if you manage to have a 25% or 30% coupon that week.

Otherwise, you're paying cover price.
I don't know about Barnes & Noble, but Border's coupons tend to run from Thursday (or Friday) to Sunday (or Monday). They typically don't work on Tuesday and Wednesday because Tuesday is new book day, and they get a certain amount of full price sales from those who want to get a book first day.

That would put a crimp in his "get book on release day."

Jhaelen

First Post
Probably depends on where you live.
Well, yes, though I cannot recommend Amazon at all if you want rpg stuff in time.

How about moving to Europe? :)

I ordered my PHB last Thursday (after getting an E-Mail reminder that it had arrived at the shop) and one day later I held it in my hands.

It was a bit more expensive than the last two PHBs, though, probably due to the current suboptimal exchange rates.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads