• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Getting Annihilated in Starting Town?

celt

First Post
I started dabbling with the online aspect of NWN and created a character on the EN World server and had a very rough time of it. Excuse me if I don't get all the proper nouns right because I didn't have much chance to get immersed. I began in the recommended starting town (Shoreline?) and headed for the level 1+ caves on the north end of the map. As soon as I walked in there were a flock of stirges including an Abyssal Stirge. Most of the stirges were rated as "Overpowering" when I examined them before my fine red mist filled the air. I tried repeatedly, thinking a new spawn might happen. Soon they were waiting for me OUTSIDE the cave and I tried running into town repeatedly to have the guards do my work. Then, when I went back in the cave they were back again. I left and came back the next day and they were still there.

What am I missing? Is it not a good town to start in? Does "Level 1+" have a strong emphasis on the PLUS part? Oi. Any help will be appreciated.

Greylock

First Post
Get yourself to the Royal barracks, talk to the statue and get yourself a free henchie. Low levels are deadly in Chainmail without help. Heck, high levels are deadly :) . The spawns will sometimes be out of whack. When that happens, run, or as I like to do, stick with it and get the tar slapped out of you. I've never died as many times in any mod as I have in Chainmail, but ya know what? It's such an enjoyable mod it doesn't bother me.

Chaz

First Post
I agree... Its not easy as a new character alone. Get the free henchman(cleric is a good choice, but try what you will). Its better when you can adventure with others. But o course this isnt always possible.

All I can say is hang in there. Its worth the effort. :)

Peace

Greylock

First Post
I was able to set aside some time last night to wander around the Isle a bit. First time in a couple of weeks. And I was suprised again at how much I like Chainmail, even when my butt's being handed to me. For one, reflecting that last comment, the battles are all Epic, all the time. I like that. And the place is so gosh-darned pretty! It never fails to please me. Everything is so meticulously detailed and colorful I can spend hours just tilting the camera, zooming, and staring at leaves. Add to the mix the nifty narcotics my doc has me on, and it's pure heaven. :D

Celia_Gyweth

First Post
Or try...

The ah er...Infested Barn in Shorline. Belive it or not, the first few areas are not tough, and it's just ants with no spells. I tried going there at hmm 3rd? level with Vel, my ranger, and wished I'd started there first. No loot, but VERY good XP. Just dont go too far west or south on the map, or the royal ants will chew you to bits. Just my two cents.

celt

First Post
Thank you all for your replies. I will stick with it and check out the henchmen. If you see me online feel free to say "hi". :)

Greylock

First Post
Guys and gals, keep an eye out for a new player at Chainmail named Elithrar Sirfalas. He is a very good friend of mine. The char he rolled up tonight is a first level female Elven Rogue, with an appropriately long Elvish name [starts with an "M", then a bunch of vowels]. I expect he'll follow the Ranger/Rogue path soon.

He will shame us with his consumate RPing, and once he is past his first few levels he will slay us at will. He is a talented kid. Like I said, keep an eye out for him. Good mojo, having him around...

EN_blakman

First Post
celt said:
Thank you all for your replies. I will stick with it and check out the henchmen. If you see me online feel free to say "hi". :)
As Celia_Gyweth said, the "Infested Barn" is the best source for XP at character beginning.
But even if henchmen are available, they don't act very fast, or not at all, depending on lag of the server.

I would suggest that you seek out other low level players around yourself, because when you are playing yourself, one doesn't look out all the time if there are other (new) players around. And with the mod_script_error, the message that a new player joined is fast getting out of the screen message window.

Ask one of the guards in town, to show you the other players and then contact them over the player dialog (with key P, select the player, and then the "tell" option, type into your chat bar at the lower end of the screen).

Most of the enworld players are a very nice bunch of people and will surely join up with you and help you getting your character started.

Last edited:

J-Buzz

First Post
1st few levels are hard, so yea hang in there.

I don't know if anyone has noticed this or not but I thought I would see if it is just me or if anyone else noticed this. Even though the Henchmen do not react very well. I have noticed that Creatures you recruit in the wild do react better in battle. The only problem with them is when the get to 1/2 hp they bail on you. I know you can find some creatures to recruit in town or near by.

Greylock

First Post
Yeppers to J-Buzz regarding the critters. The wyrmlings make excellent companions if you can snag one. They are of pretty decent level, and hauled my nuts out of the fire on several occasions.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads