Getting into character...

wayne62682

First Post
I was inspired to post this after reading the "How do you roleplay creepy?" thread, as I liked some of the suggestions there.

Frequently I find myself running into an issue when I play, and I'm really at a loss for good tips and/or tricks to help: The problem is that I have a very hard time "getting into character" when I sit down at the table.

I mean.. I have a concept worked out, I have some personality traits and quirks written down, but I just can't do it; when it boils down to roleplaying, I just end up speaking normally and can't bring out any of those personality traits in my mannerisms or vocal patterns. Now, the rest of the group is similar (i.e. we all tend to roleplay characters the same way no matter what they are), and I'm a pretty shy person in real life so I think that may have something to do with it (that and I am younger than most of the rest of the group), but it's very frustrating because it gets so boring and monotone and I want to do something to liven it up.

My character is a Hexblade/Urban Ranger who is a bounty hunter and mercenary. The idea is that he's a Boba Fett-like character minus the plethora of gizmos; cold and calculating, honest and morally driven although ruthless and violent, but not "evil". He's very cynical and is fascinated with death (grew up in a town that was controlled for years by a Dracolich), although he isn't a cold-blooded killer (he pretends to be, though. His catchphrase when asked his name by a bad guy is "My name is Kalen Skorne, and killing men like you is my greatest pleasure."); it's more like a morbid curiosity, like having that urge to watch a horrible accident unfold. While not very outspoken he has a very dominant, forceful personality when he does speak, and this is my weakest area as I'm pretty much the opposite in real life, so nobody takes me seriously at the table when I try to be dominant. I had wanted him to speak with a hybrid Australian/British accent (as I can't do one or the other exactly) as well, but I'm afraid of looking like an idiot if I do it.

I'm wondering what you do to help get into character and roleplay, because I sure need all the help I can get to do it effectively.

Regards,
Wayne

Maybe instead of trying so hard to be something you're not yet comfortable with, why not asking what the other players and DM think of your character? What do they see in his tatics and gameplay that differenciate him from the rest of the group.

Maybe to the other players he's trigger happy, but you don't think you play him that way.

Maybe they think he's brooding as opposed to morbid

And instead of trying to change the players opinions of him, just go with what you're unconsiously doing anyway only now tweak that. Once you get the hang of seeing how your character relates to the rest of the group, I think you'll find it easier to create characters that act the way you envision.

I took me a while to learn that the character in my head just wasn't translating into what was taking place in the game. 20 years later and I'm still learning to better my roleplaying, but I think you my find this approach easier for you.

Matchstick

Adventurer
I mean.. I have a concept worked out, I have some personality traits and quirks written down, but I just can't do it; when it boils down to roleplaying, I just end up speaking normally and can't bring out any of those personality traits in my mannerisms or vocal patterns. Now, the rest of the group is similar (i.e. we all tend to roleplay characters the same way no matter what they are), and I'm a pretty shy person in real life so I think that may have something to do with it (that and I am younger than most of the rest of the group), but it's very frustrating because it gets so boring and monotone and I want to do something to liven it up.

I think you will to kind of adjust to your group, I know I do. I usually play with people that are similar to the people you play with so there are very few voices/accents around the table. But when I go to GenCon and play at a table of people that are using voices (Halfling Musketeers!) I have no trouble participating.

I guess I think it would be very hard to use a voice if no one else is. You might be able to do it for ten minutes, or thirty minutes, maybe more maybe less, but eventually you're going to most likely revert to table.

fusangite

First Post
I've been wanting to comment on a phenomenon I've been noticing for a while here on ENWorld and this thread has given me the perfect opportunity. Thanks wayne62682 for the opportunity.

In my experience, a character's qualities, traits, quirks and background are not something you decide before you play the character. They are things that arise through the process of play. But thanks to character creation mechanics like GURPS and the longstanding tradition of PCs writing up a character background piece before starting to play, we seem to have developed this idea that our characters are like parts in a play or movie -- something predetermined, to be acted-out in a series of situations.

When I make a character, I don't know very much about him. As I play him and he reacts spontaneously and authentically to situations that confront him, I learn more. I usually don't know anything about my character's family until the moment he starts talking about his family. It is through the process of play that characters become textured, complex, real entities; who they are is formed by their experiences. Instead of focusing on the experiences your character may or may not have had before you became his player, focus on the experiences you/he have through the process of play.

In my view, too many preconceived notions about a character hurt his development. So do really obvious two-dimensional quirks such as accents, frequent shouting, slogans, exaggerated verbal styles and inflexible codes of conduct or systems of belief. Look at your character's actions over a month or two and ask yourself what you already know about him; that's the basis for authentic play.

People often seem to have trouble distinguishing between role-play intensive gaming and performance-intensive gaming. If you are playing a long-term character as opposed to a just-for-laughs cardboard cutout in a one-shot, make sure your character is someone you can play regardless of how relaxed or hyped your are for a game; make him someone who is not a burden for you to carry. Putting on a performance does not equal roleplaying and, quite often, gets in the way of it.

In sum, do what the DMG tells DMs to do with alignment: observe your character in action and then describe him; learn who your character already is. Don't describe him and then try to shoe-horn him into your preconceived description.

wayne62682

First Post
I don't agree at all, fusangite, although I appreciate your input and views on the subject.

To me, the art of roleplaying IS like acting in a play; I come up with a concept and a personality.. something that I feel I can act out at the gaming table, and work it from there as though it was a real person; I adapt as I see the character adapting to life situations (i.e. the adventures and campaign), but there has to be the framework to start. Otherwise it's like being told to act a character that you know nothing about.. how can you play someone who has no motivation, nothing to distinguish exactly who they are?

A character without a backstory or personality may as well be a two-dimensional videogame persona.

bento

Explorer
I've read some about this from the other angle - how does a DM try to get his players to roll play more often. Here's some ideas you might try:

* Come up with a few more phrases this character might say in different circumstances and make a point to using them in game (oh my stars and garters!)

* Think of ways of describing how you move or go about doing some task that's specific to your character and uses those in a game (I slowly stroll across the room with my chest puffed out, looking at every person in the eye who notices me).

* A half hour before the game practice your character's voice out loud for ten minutes. The more familiar and easy you are with this the easier it will be around others.

I guess the point is if you want to play your character like he is a character, you have to do more than just put some ideas down on paper. You need to come up with what he'd say and how he'd do things, then roll with it.

If it doesn't work, try something that's a little closer to home, or just the opposite, play a character that is so different that you have to make yourself stretch. Tell us how it works out.

Gold Roger

First Post
While I agree Fusangites way is very good, I'd also say that it's a way that won't work for everybody. I know I can do it only halfway.

My experience is that the best way to ensure you can get-across your PC is to have his personality meet yours halfway, at least that's how it is for me.

I need to somewhat identify with my character to "get him across" is to take some of my own personality traits (not even major ones), "turn up their volume" and then add some stuff not inherent to me.

As an example I had a hard time understanding why my gruff but good hearted and personally extremely beloved first PC Ragar (must have been when I was 18) was hated by others. But I understand now it's exactly because I played him the way I play chars: To bring out his rough shell convincingly I had to bring out those "tough" parts in my personality. Except there isn't so much "tough" in my personality, so he ended up condescending, ruthless and obnoxious as well as withdrawn. More angry teen and less respectable though. It was like that for many PC's of mine- they either end up as bland or silly one-dimensional persona- or as a "tuned up" facette of myself.

The PC you are trying to play seems to be far away from your own personality. Maybe if you search for those qualities you can identify with the most and play them up some. This may not work for you and he most likely won't come out the way you imagined first, but at least this might help you "break the wall" and let you get across a personality that isn't your own.

fusangite

First Post
wayne62682 said:
I don't agree at all, fusangite, although I appreciate your input and views on the subject.
Well, let's clarify what we are disagreeing about before we misconstrue the nature of our disagreement.
To me, the art of roleplaying IS like acting in a play;
Why? There are a number of things that distinguish an RPG session from a play:
(a) the audience and the players are the same group; there are no passive spectators;
(b) the dialogue and events that take place in the game are not predetermined whereas the events and dialogue in a play are tightly scripted right down to gestures and syllables;
(c) the emotional rewards for participants are different in that there is no group of spectators whose response is evaluative;
just to name a few.
So, the real question becomes: how do these substantial differences between an RPG and a play affect how people play their characters? If these substantial differences do not affect how characters are played why don't they?
I come up with a concept and a personality... something that I feel I can act out at the gaming table, and work it from there as though it was a real person; I adapt as I see the character adapting to life situations (i.e. the adventures and campaign), but there has to be the framework to start.
Should you come to the table with ideas of what kind of person your character might be like? Absolutely. That's not only a necessity; it's something you could not avoid doing. The question is this: how flexible is the framework with which you come to the game? I believe that the more flexible an initial framework is, the more easily a real character can grow out of it.

But think about what a framework is. A framework is a general concept, not an inventory of minor details and events. Part of a framework is something like, "This guy used to be a soldier but he left the army for some reason. There is a bunch of residual bitterness and resentment from whatever it was that happened." Now, it may be that over time, the residual bitterness will continue to be part of the character but the army might turn into a group of guerilla rebels; until these things are declared, there remains flexibility and the capacity to adapt.
Otherwise it's like being told to act a character that you know nothing about.. how can you play someone who has no motivation, nothing to distinguish exactly who they are?
Motivation comes thick and fast in RPGs. There are fights; people develop reasons for being in the fights and caring about which side they are on and what the outcome is. They make new friends and associates and develop bonds with them. They are confronted by challenges.

It is when you are actually in situations like this that your background fills in. How your character reacts to situations will tell you things about his background that are more interesting and realistic than anything you could write up in a character background piece at the start of the campaign.

Do I say every character should start as a complete cipher, a blank slate? No. What I say is that "when I make a character I do not know very much about him."

You feel you have a problem "getting into" your character. Think about the advice people get on the subject of "getting into" things -- things like relationships, one night stands, the ocean, a new outfit, a new circle of friends. The refrain you hear again and again is, "Don't overthink it." What I see you doing here is overthinking, trying to pre-plan things that need to just happen.
A character without a backstory or personality may as well be a two-dimensional videogame persona.
Look: we're not disagreeing about whether a character should have a backstory and personality. I think there is absolute unanimity on this thread that backstory=good; personality=good. The question we are debating is: how do we create compelling, authentic and realistic backstories and personalities.

And I suggest that you stop thinking like someone doing Henry V and start thinking like someone doing improv.

Quickleaf

Legend
wayne62682 said:
it's very frustrating because it gets so boring and monotone and I want to do something to liven it up.
Wayne, until you said this, I was going to say that you don't have any problem, just a certain style of play. However, if it's boring then it's time to try something different.
Have you ever looked at Robin Law's "Player Types"? You might find it helpful to learn more about your play style.

My character is a Hexblade/Urban Ranger who is a bounty hunter and mercenary. The idea is that he's a Boba Fett-like character minus the plethora of gizmos; cold and calculating, honest and morally driven although ruthless and violent, but not "evil". He's very cynical and is fascinated with death (grew up in a town that was controlled for years by a Dracolich), although he isn't a cold-blooded killer (he pretends to be, though. His catchphrase when asked his name by a bad guy is "My name is Kalen Skorne, and killing men like you is my greatest pleasure."); it's more like a morbid curiosity, like having that urge to watch a horrible accident unfold. While not very outspoken he has a very dominant, forceful personality when he does speak, and this is my weakest area as I'm pretty much the opposite in real life, so nobody takes me seriously at the table when I try to be dominant. I had wanted him to speak with a hybrid Australian/British accent (as I can't do one or the other exactly) as well, but I'm afraid of looking like an idiot if I do it.

You've got a whole lot of material there. I'm guessing it's overwhelming you, so I'd suggest just choosing one aspect of the character that you really are interested in and exploring just that and nothing else for a couple sessions. Once you feel comfortable, then start incorporating other aspects slowly. (This is the same advice I give to DMs who have trouble describing a scene with all 5 senses - I tell them to start with just one and build from there) I think this is the heart of what Fusangite is saying - when it comes down to acting, it's better to have one strong focus than a multi-page character portfolio.

For example, let's take the issue of voice. If you were an actor or public speaker your voice coach would tell you to practice, maybe go to Toastmasters. "But that's no fun and I feel awkward doing it!" You say. Never fear, follow this link to a great faux Crocodile Hunter take from a Star Wars fan film: http://www.atomfilms.com/af/content/jedi_hunter You might watch it with one of your friends and try practicing the accent to entertain them.

I'm also hearing that you're trying to play a character with a personality different than your own (dominant v. shy). You've accepted a big challenge! Part of what an RPG is supposed to do is give you tools to make that imaginative leap. For example, is your character skilled at Intimidate? If you manage to intimidate an NPC, ask the GM to role-play the NPC's reaction a bit (if the GM normally wouldn't do this). While the rest of the group might not take you seriously when you try to act "dominant", they can't argue with the results of your Intimidate check.

Oh yeah, and what does "dominant" mean to you? Self-assured or something else?

Barak

First Post
I, for one, work exactly like fusangite, and have played very varied characters.

The thing to remember is that I (and probably fusangite) don't make up everything as we go. I do have a basic framework (human rogue, 23 years old, untrusting of authorities, maybe a couple more things). But then through the first few sessions, I -react- a bit more then I act. That shapes my character.

Telling it like this, it sounds self-serving. It sounds as if I'll make my character into whatever is more beneficial at the time. That's not correct, but not totally untrue. I -will- take into account what the other players do. And, metagaming a bit, I will "mold" my character into someone that won't totally clash with them. But I will already have a vague idea of what the character is like, and as far as NPCs and plot is concerned, I won't necessarly act in the best possible way.

Remove ads