• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Getting randomized miniatures from online boosters- Get real

broghammerj

Explorer
From todays front page news, Didier Monin is quoted as saying:

"We are still looking and defining the exact details of how digital miniatures will be available for the game table, and we will provide the relevant information in due time through the dndinsider.com articles.

Getting miniatures for the online game table from randomized boosters is certainly envisioned, even if that may not be the only way to get them."

How are people interpreting this? Is it:

1. The randomized boosters from the DnD miniature line will be available for the online game table.

or

2. Access to miniatures for the online game table will be available in randomized booster packs.

Option 1 would be awesome since I moved away from my last two groups and would love to join them online. Option 2 would kill any interest I would have for the product.

For me to consider this product I expect the online table to have a miniature for every DND monster published ala all of them from the monster manual. The only option I could potentially tolerate is that if you bought a book (say Libris Mortis) then your online code could unlock the miniatures from that product.

hong

WotC's bitch
It might well be both. If you get a pack of physical minis, you'll also get a code giving you access to the corresponding stuff online. However, you'll also beable to buy the online minis as a randomised product, without needing to get the physical booster packs.

mmadsen

First Post
The primary purpose of randomizing miniatures is inventory management. By randomizing the contents of the box, the entire distribution network saves itself the tremendous headache of managing hundreds of (obviously) different products (or SKUs). Online there is no need to worry about this.

Goblyns Hoard

First Post
If I was going to SUBSCRIBE to a service that enables me to game over the net, I would expect that service to have the tools I need to run that game. If I don't have the option of putting a gnoll figure onto the virtual table top so some player the other side of the world know what he's looking at then I'm not going to be happy with my level of service. I don't want to use a kobold and have to remind all the players its a gnoll all the time. OK maybe for an additional level of subscription or from randomised packs I can get access to gnoll archer, gnoll wizard, gnoll with spear etc., but for for the 'core' creatures (the MM) I damn well better get a suitable model for each of them.

And any one randomised pack better not have 2 gnoll archers in it. Don't forget that on the digital market there's no repeat manufacturing costs - one design provides every subscriber everything they need.

broghammerj

Explorer
mmadsen said:
The primary purpose of randomizing miniatures is inventory management. By randomizing the contents of the box, the entire distribution network saves itself the tremendous headache of managing hundreds of (obviously) different products (or SKUs). Online there is no need to worry about this.

Except from WOTC who's marketing strategy may be to double bill me for the service to be usable. I would liken it to the game of golf. You have to pay green fees and buy clubs to play (two purchases). The only problem with golf is that both purchases aren't typically going to one seller.

Kunimatyu

First Post
WotC, I love your miniatures, and have thousands of them. I plan on continuing to buy them.

If I subscribe to D&D Insider to use the Game Table, I will not buy online packs of minis to use on my table -- that's a patently ridiculous notion, and will kill your Game Table app faster than almost any other strategy I could think of. Think of the digital minis as free advertising for the real ones, and you'll be closer to a workable model.

Now, I would be willing to have a code in a booster pack from a physical set that unlocks all the digital minis for that set, just as a way of saying "okay, you bought at least some of the physical set, here's the digital one." It's also a nice way of hooking online players on the physical minis, as many will buy their one booster to unlock their digital set, and go "hey, these are awesome -- I want a Beholder to put on my computer!"

broghammerj

Explorer
Kunimatyu said:
Now, I would be willing to have a code in a booster pack from a physical set that unlocks all the digital minis for that set, just as a way of saying "okay, you bought at least some of the physical set, here's the digital one." It's also a nice way of hooking online players on the physical minis, as many will buy their one booster to unlock their digital set, and go "hey, these are awesome -- I want a Beholder to put on my computer!"

Unfortunately for me that would kill the deal. I don't like the randomness of booster packs. As a result I won't buy them. As a poster said above, the randomness is used to move inventory. That model is not required for online format. From a marketing strategy the people who want online miniature access/table top function are not the same as those who collect/play DnD miniatures. "Unlocks" should be linked to book products if anything. For example, buy the fiendish codex and you unlock the minis.

Glyfair

Explorer
broghammerj said:
"Unlocks" should be linked to book products if anything. For example, buy the fiendish codex and you unlock the minis.

As I understand it, creating 3D designs is a very time consuming process (those involved with 3D computer modeling, correct me if I'm wrong). I'm sure creating a D&D miniature set online will be a time consuming process that will cost WotC a lot of money.

While the random miniature concept is arguable, I don't think it's unreasonable for WotC to charge for each set for their virtual tabletop. Just unlocking them because you bought a set (or book) seems unrealistic.

Remove ads