• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 getting rid of full-attack in 3.5e

cr0m

First Post
There's been a lot of talk about how 4e is getting rid of full-attacks. I think this would really help eliminate the "5' step and attack" that a lot of combats turn into.

If you were to eliminate the full-attack from 3.5e, how would you do it? For PCs, it'd be easy enough, just drop the extra attacks at high level. For monsters it's trickier, since some of them depend on a claw/claw/bite (to use the old notation) to get their damage up. You could boost their biggest attack and hand wave the clawing and biting. You could figure out the average amount of damage they're likely to do and work back from there. You could let them use their "extra" attacks, but only under certain conditions (defender is grappled, prone, flanked, etc).

Grymar

Explorer
Wow, I was thinking about this in the shower just this morning. The issue I ran up against, on the player side, was that for many characters the iterative attacks are what help balance melee fighters against magic users. Yeah, you can toss a fire ball, but I'll get to swing at him three, four or five times this round. How do you compensate for that significant nerf?

Do you allow a fighter to get a bonus to damage? Maybe all characters get a bonus to damage with a weapon they have weapon focus in equal to their BAB? This would alter the weapon focus/spec feat tree, but you could rebuild it.

Weapon Focus - +1 to hit and a bonus to damage equal to the character's BAB
Greater Weapon Focus - Additional +2 to hit
Weapon Specialization - Additional +5 to damage
Greater Weapon Specialization - Additional +5 to damage

Above are very rough numbers, especially seeing how a 10th level fighter with WF and WS would suddenly get +15 to damage...that seems high. Does it offset his two (soon to be three) attacks a round?

Arkhandus

First Post
Heck no. And it shouldn't be feat-dependant; a Fighter doesn't need feats to get his iterative attacks, and the Tarrasque doesn't need feats to pound on several different adventurers with his different limbs, each the size of a house.

If you're going to eliminate full-attacks, then you're going to have to seriously rework monsters, two-weapon fighting, and other stuff that relies on multiple attacks. And you'll need to make sure that warriors or monsters have some (FREE) means of being able to attack multiple opponents in a round, when they would have normally been able to full-attack. If a 20th-level Fighter can't kill a few goblins in one 6-second round, without resorting to feats (because his 20 levels of Fighter should be more than enough awesomeness and skill in battle to allow him to take down several weaklings in a few seconds), then something is seriously, seriously wrong.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Use Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords. Seriously. I've used it during a short adventure during Easter, and I've seen ONE full attack during the entire play.

It's the least tinker-intensive solution I've found regarding this.

Cheers, LT.

Andre

First Post
cr0m said:
If you were to eliminate the full-attack from 3.5e, how would you do it?

When my group decided to get rid of full attack actions, we made a few changes that worked fairly well:

1) All characters and monsters add their BAB to damage. This includes melee and ranged, so archers now gain a good bonus to damage. We decided this bonus also added to damage caused by a grapple.

2) Creatures with more than one attack instead kept the most powerful attack, adding a bonus for every other natural attack, plus BAB. There was no set formula, but typically the bonus was equal to 1/3 or 1/4 of the max damage the extra attacks could have caused (so 1d4 adds +1 damage, 1d6 adds +2).

3) Creatures with special abilities dependent on multiple hits instead had those abilities replaced with a percent chance of occurring. For example, a troll normally rends if both claw attacks hit. With the new system, if it's main attack lands, it has a 50% chance of rending.

4) A few creatures kept multiple attacks, because that was their schtick. For example, the hydra.

5) Two weapon fighting became a single feat. It's effect was two-fold: the character could use one weapon to parry, gaining +1 AC (+ weapon bonus). If not used to parry, the character could wait to see the results of their melee attack roll; if the attack succeeded, the player could declare which weapon hit.

A few comments on these changes:
*Damage output tended to be higher at low and mid levels, and we didn't see much difference at high levels, as so many opponents have high AC's. Power Attack was more useful at high levels, but that just helped balance losing so many iterative attacks.
*Archers tended to be more effective without special equipment, as the BAB bonus to damage added up.
*High strength and 2H weapons still mattered, but less so. After all, if your fighter is averaging 15 points in one hit, an extra couple points from a bigger weapon or higher strength score has less impact. Especially since those things only add to one attack a round (usually - see next point).
*Due to higher damage, it wasn't uncommon to drop an opponent in one shot. Cleave and Great Cleave were great feats (pretty much must-haves, but that's no different than RAW). Characters also had to be careful - that troll could do an enormous amount of damage with one roll.
*Because a character could go from healthy to dying in one roll, we modified the death and dying rules. Essentially, any attack that took a character from positive to negative hit points only took the character to -1, no matter how much damage was done. Getting hit when at negative hit points worked per RAW, so don't get fireballed when down. :)
*It sped up combat considerably, especially with the folks who have trouble remembering which attacks have which bonuses.
*There was more movement in combat (in part because we eliminated AoO's for movement at the same time as we made these changes).

All in all, we liked the changes and probably wouldn't go back without some strong incentives. Of course, RL got in the way, so we haven't gamed in while, darn it... :(

Last edited:

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Lord Tirian said:
Use Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords. Seriously. I've used it during a short adventure during Easter, and I've seen ONE full attack during the entire play.

It's the least tinker-intensive solution I've found regarding this.
Seconded.

Imp

First Post
See, lately I've been wondering why you couldn't just remove the requirement that using all your attacks takes a full-round action. Say, use a standard action to attack and a move action, and hit anything in the path of your move (subject to max # of iterative attacks of course).

Satori

First Post
I've heard of some people using damage types to inflict small AoE against enemies. For every iterative attack, an additional bad guy would be effected in that AoE.

i.e. A Great Axe (slashing) is used in a wide arc. Hence, it could effect more than one enemy in a 180 degree arc in front of the warrior. A level 6 Axe Fighter would include two bad guys in his one swing.

A Spear (piercing) is thrusted straight into the enemy. Hence, it could effect more than one enemy in a straight line, ala Lightning Bolt.

A Great Maul (bludgeoning) is known for inflicting concussive force. Hence, it could effect more than one enemy in a cone, ala Mestil's Acid Breath.

---

While this doesn't allow for greater single damage, it definitely addresses the issue of multiple enemies fairly well. I've never seen it at play, so I have no idea if it would work.

cr0m

First Post
Great feedback, guys. My goal here (if any) is to make combat more interesting by giving players the ability to move more without sacrificing the all important killing power. And also to reduce handling time during turns. When you've got a high-level character with TWF, you're looking at 4 or 6 d20 rolls per turn. That's equivalent to 4-6 extra PCs in a combat, if you consider 1 attack roll equal to one PC. That's a lot of waiting around to play.

I'm simply going to have BaB add to damage. 1 attack per round (barring some sort of special occurrence), add BaB to your damage roll.

I like simple solutions and I don't think this is a bad one. It might have some odd bumps in it, but there isn't a perfect system.

Remove ads