• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Getting standard equipment into the spotlight...

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Here's me five years ago:

This should be every mundane item my DL minotaur has on him:

assorted knives bound in leather straps
three grappling hooks
2x 50'' ropes
1x 60'' rope
chalk
hammer
two slings
small bag of nails
small bag of wooden wedges
small bag of coarse sand
small bag of fine sand
small bag of sharp stones
small bag of black marbles
small bag of tinder
small bag of precious gems (a.k.a loose change)
small bag of assorted teeth
flint and steel
a pirate'ish scarf
large black cloak
three brown flasks filled with water
two white flasks filled with oil
fishing line and lures
three large (as in clubs) torches

The wedges, nails, chalk and marbles were the most used of that lot. I think.

Rune

Once A Fool
...As a side note, I just finished running a game in which one of the players wondered why there was no chalk in his adventurer's kit. I had to laugh.

Barastrondo

First Post
As an aside, I think that equipment is often glossed over particularly in 4e during character creation because there's basically so much "attention budget" to go around. There are a lot of things to consider, by compare to early versions of D&D. Race, class, feats, powers -- when I created a B/X character, I lingered more over the equipment lists because that's basically where most of my choices were. Now that there are more choices during character creation, and ones that will stay with you longer, it's easy to devote the lion's share of your attention and energy to picking just the right feat or daily and then just take what equipment seems basic.

That's one of the reasons I suggest letting PCs who haven't pored over the shopping list for very long find equipment as loot. Once they're in the adventure, they've already made most of their character creation choices, and are now focusing on choices of interaction. "An iron pot! Shall we take it? What could we do with it? Where would we carry it? Do we have something that would make a good soup? Ugh, what's that yellow crust around its rim?" Even if they choose to leave it behind, it's still potentially an interesting interaction for them.

Eldragon

First Post
Honestly, I didn't even notice 4e had "Adventurer's kits". Everyone starts with 100g, and buy what they need from the equipment table.

The importance for those items has never changed for me. When the PCs want to dig a hole, I ask "Did you buy a shovel?". Of course, I don't run canned adventures, and thus my games tend to focus less on combat, whereas all of the adventures WotC puts out seem to be nothing but busting down doors and slaying everything that moves.

Although now that you point out what is missing from 4e that was available in 3e, I'm going to print off the 3e table and slip the page into my 4e PHP.

Last edited:

Zaran

Adventurer
Main issue I have with 4e is the fAct that it was condensed down to combat and skill checks. 5 monster books and still no donkeyhorse. Weem I still giggle at the mulenomicon!

TirionAnthion

First Post
Equipment, overlooked and underused

I must admit that I have a bad habit of glossing over equipment as of late. In the older additions, especially in my BECMI days, equipment was an essential part of character creation. I spent alot of time as a player buying every fiddly little bit of equipment I could find. As a DM, I found interesting ways to use mundane items and tracked encumbrance as well as food and water carried by my players. Those things seemed essential to the experience.

In 4e I seem to have lost that element. I often pay very little heed to what equipment my players have. When I make pregens I even forget to buy equipment other than armor and weapons. That is something I would never have overlooked in the past.

This is due in part to the focus on combat. I find that combat has moved to a much more prominent place in this edition. Also I have found that my current player base seems to enjoy this. I run D&D Encounters and the players actively seek out combat. This makes things like equipment lists seem less important.

This post has helped to remind me of what I liked about mundane equipment in previous editions. In fact, I think I will look for some creative ways to use mundane gear in my weekly encounters games.

Anyway, thanks to Weem for posting this and reminding me why I liked equipment.

Remove ads