• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Getting Started

Arathen

First Post
Greetings, everyone.

I'm interested in getting into tabletop game design...particularly RPGs, of course. I have my own ideas that I'm working on, but I'd like to get my feet wet with other projects. Which brings me to my question. Is there any advice that any of you would offer to someone interested in getting into the world of game design? I'm mainly a writer, and my best work is with story and concept. My main interest is working with the 3.5 rules still, especially with the upcoming release of Paizo's Pathfinger RPG next year, but I'm not so picky that I won't work on something that isn't that. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you :)

xjermx

First Post
Sorry if this is a dumb or inappropriate answer, but I could not be 100% sure, by your post.

You're a player, right? And maybe a DM? Like, you're not new to RPGs and such, right?

Arathen

First Post
yes, I'm a player. I've played RPGs for years. My question was about getting started in designing rpgs...just asking advice for someone interested in getting into the field, so to speak. My hope is to get a job designing such games myself.

Last edited:

Pinotage

Explorer
Not sure if there are many 'jobs' available, but there's plenty of freelancing going around. The Open Calls and Vacancies board here is a good place to start, and see if there is something you can get involved in. A good way to start building a reputation is to release something for free, just so people can have a look at your work. Designers might pick up on it, or otherwise you can point them to it when looking for some freelance work. I wouldn't quit the day job, though - freelancing and game designing doesn't necessarily make a living, unless you're doing well running your own company or have a steady design job.

Pinotage

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
This might sound funny, but a good way to get noticed is to post your designs on this messageboard. My story hours and monster design threads attracted the attention of a number of publishers, and I've been working steadily in the RPG industry ever since.

Also, as Pinotage said, check out the open calls threads. Goodman Games - a great company to work for - is currently looking for freelancers with fresh ideas.

BD

Arathen

First Post
Thank you for the advice. I took a look, of course, and while I'm mainly interested in working with 3.5 rules still, I can't really be picky, heh. I'll consider some ideas and submit them. :)

Remove ads