• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Getting the most out of a sword?

Arc

First Post
With the new DR rules in 3.5 making specific weapon types very important, I thought it would be a good idea to see what ways you can improve the power of a weapon without spending the hundreds of thousand gps normally needed for them. In this case, (mostly because it's what my current character is using), lets look at a katana (equivilant to a masterwork bastard sword: d10 damage, 19-20 x2 critical, usable 1h or 2h). Using the ultimate +5 enhancement/+5 special ability endpoint, how can this sword be as good as possible.

For example, you could use items (Scabbard of Keen Edges) or PrC's (Blade Dancer) to gain the extra edge without adding to the total bonus on the weapon.

[Edit: Changed the bloody title from 'Maximizing Weaponry']

Last edited:

Steve Jung

Explorer
I like Weapon Thematics. "It may look like a dagger, but it's really a greatsword.

Or how about Eschew Weapon. :)

Seriously, though did you look at Bracers of the Blinding Strike from page 155 of Magic of Faerûn? You get the benefits of Improved Initiative and you get an extra attack per round as if you had a speed weapon. Is this what you originally meant?

Chun-tzu

First Post
Arc said:
For example, you could use items (Scabbard of Keen Edges) or PrC's (Blade Dancer) to gain the extra edge without adding to the total bonus on the weapon.

That's exactly what the Arcane Duelist (PrC on the Wizards website) does. It's a swashbuckling melee version of the Arcane Archer.

Remove ads