D&D (2024) Getting the questions for the playtest survey?

aco175

Legend
They want feedback, but these playtests are for a gut check smell test of.broad options, not finer detailed points.
I would think that having people figure out all the problems with a new rule and how to min-max it with other rules would be better to have up front where such a rule might be something people just say, "sounds cool."

How many new threads are out right now for the new playtest packet that are being picked apart and people are finding all the holes.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I would think that having people figure out all the problems with a new rule and how to min-max it with other rules would be better to have up front where such a rule might be something people just say, "sounds cool."

How many new threads are out right now for the new playtest packet that are being picked apart and people are finding all the holes.
Nope, they don't need that, they have an extensive internal attest network to do that. The public playtests are purely "do you like this idea?" and answering that by gut is very sensible.

Yaarel

He Mage
Nope, they don't need that, they have an extensive internal attest network to do that. The public playtests are purely "do you like this idea?" and answering that by gut is very sensible.
The video by TreantMonk is an example of a well-thought-out survey response. He mentions it took him more than 5 hours to fill out the survey.

I feel these thoughtful responses are very useful for the wellbeing of the future of D&D 2024.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
The video by TreantMonk is an example of a well-thought-out survey response. He mentions it took him more than 5 hours to fill out the survey.

I feel these thoughtful responses are very useful for the wellbeing of the future of D&D 2024.
He took five hours, which means ten responders taking 30 minutes made his response nearly meaningless.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
He took five hours, which means ten responders taking 30 minutes made his response nearly meaningless.
Yep. The most thought-out and well-written response does not do any real good if it is a minority opinion. It won't matter how articulate the points being made are if no one else likes the thing the person is pontificating on.

And even if a person is on the majority side of an opinion... even then their incredibly detailed response could receive nothing more than an acknowledged 'Yep, they think it's good", when there are literally thousands of other written responses talking about it too-- some of them probably even more detailed, and many others hitting just one or two salient points that appear most often amongst the respondents.

So I hope everyone has been going into these surveys with open eyes and acknowledging to themselves that anything they are writing is almost purely just to get their thoughts down on paper and out of their head, and NOT because they think that they'll have a demonstrable impact on how the game is designed. Because if anything does occur that seemed to be in line with what someone wrote... odds are pretty good that it's only because thousands of other people also responded in the exact same way (whether articulately or not).

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Is there a way to find out what the questions are for a playtest survey, before taking the survey?

I want to prepare the answers ahead of time − at my own pace and to add things that occur to me later.

Then when I take the survey, I can just copy paste my answers in.
Treantmonk will post his taking of the survey in advance, with time before the end of the survey period. I usually watch that, think about the questions and some of the comments he raises, before deciding how to respond to the survey.

Remove ads