• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Ghelspad] nation population, low or high?

paqman

First Post
Hi all,

Small Ghelspad question. I noticed that the largest nation has 2 millions people in population.

I was wondering if some of you are historically proficient on medieval European nations. Can someone tell me how many poeple were part of France, England, Germany or Italy in the middle ages.

I feel that 2 million is not really enough for the largest nation in Ghelspad.

Note : I know that I have been playing in Forgotten Realms for a long time and this setting might have influence my thoughts on the subject ( Since FR has a very high population members for cities ). I also know that Ghelspad is freshly out of the Titan's war and this might have an impact on the low population.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Beholder, it's mainly that, but 2 million on accounts for the "Divine" races. Not the monster or the "titan spawn". Which I believe has double if not triple the numbers of many of the divine races. So that, the Divine War AND the attrition rate due to wars, famines, and of course the Blood Monsoon decreases the populations quite a bit.

xrpsuzi

First Post
medieval populations

I'm not familiar with ghelspad, but here are sme numbers from the thread about medieval armies (c.1415 I think), originally posted by jgbrowning. Hope they help.

Suzi

Cippolla suggests closer to 5 million for the british isles and dropping it down to around 3 million after the plague. Pound, oddly, leaves england out of his numbers but offers 1.2-1.5 for the low countries, 17-18 for france, 10-12 for germany, 600-650k for switzerland, 1.5-3 for poland, 3-4 for hungry, 4-6 for the balkans, 7-9 for italy, 5-7 for spain +port, and 1-2 for scandinavia.

warpmind

First Post
The hazards of wild areas during the War and afterwards were high enough for people to seek shelter in city-states or large capitols (see the origins of Hollowfaust or Mithril).

As a result, city states seem to be surronded by a mostly unpopulated area.

So Ghelspad is perhaps low-populated but it's most distinctive trait seems to be the distribution of this population.

In addition you should not forget the fact that in Ghelspad exist some really big cities (Burok Torn and Dier Drendal among others)
And of course, as NF quoted above, this only applies to the Divine Races.

Torillan

First Post
Beholder said:
Wow, Dier drendal, 300000 dark elf. Thats a lot of poeple.

It does seem high, but I think it's because virtually ALL Dark elves come from here. At least that's the impression I got after reading the hardcover. I would imagine maybe a few very small outposts in outlying areas, but not much further than a 100 or so miles away.

Darklance

First Post
Seems a little low. I believe that that Rome (the city) at it's height had over a million people living in it alone. Constantinople, which lasted from the fall of the Roman empire up untill it was sacked by the turkish in 1453 AD, had a population the fluxuated between 2 million to practiacally deserted for various parts of it's rule. The Byzantium empire, of which it was the capital, must have had well over this amount spread throughtout it's vast holdings.

I recall France being placed at 25 million in the medieval period...but don't quote me on that.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads