• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ghost King (Transistion 3)

Crothian

First Post
Is anyone reading this series by Salvator? WotC book division sent me a copy to review. I don't really have the time to get and read the first two before this so I'm wondering if someone can give me some high lights of what's going on. It'll be interesting to review just the third book in a series. I've never tried that before.

Cor Azer

First Post
Is anyone reading this series by Salvator? WotC book division sent me a copy to review. I don't really have the time to get and read the first two before this so I'm wondering if someone can give me some high lights of what's going on. It'll be interesting to review just the third book in a series. I've never tried that before.

I read the first two, and enjoyed them as I have most of Salvatore's works. Haven't started Ghost King yet.

For this particular series though, I don't think it'd be as much of a problem for you to jump in on the third book. Sure, all the stories involve Drizzt and his friends, but the overall plot doesn't seem as linked - its more thematic stuff that carries over from book to book. As implied by the Transitions subtitle, the books are focusing on how a few smaller parts of Faerun are changing from the 3E years to the 4E years.

Dire Bare

Legend
I read the first two, and enjoyed them as I have most of Salvatore's works. Haven't started Ghost King yet.

For this particular series though, I don't think it'd be as much of a problem for you to jump in on the third book. Sure, all the stories involve Drizzt and his friends, but the overall plot doesn't seem as linked - its more thematic stuff that carries over from book to book. As implied by the Transitions subtitle, the books are focusing on how a few smaller parts of Faerun are changing from the 3E years to the 4E years.

Cor Azer's got it right, but I think that the first two books are worth reading for the overall thematic effect. You pick up on it in the first book, but it really kicks in in Book 2. And if you've followed the adventures of Drizzt and friends so far, there are some surprising plot turns! In fact, Drizzt fan or not, Book 2 has some pretty surprising plot turns!

If you don't have time now, I'd recommend coming back later and rereading the whole trilogy in order. The third book should work well enough as a standalone (haven't read it yet, but the first two did), but you are missing out on a level of themes if you skip straight to Book 3

Taelorn76

First Post
I just finished reading the second one about two months ago. And I am wondering what plot turns you are referring to. Not that there weren't any, but just wondering if we consider the same things plot turns.

Dire Bare

Legend
I just finished reading the second one about two months ago. And I am wondering what plot turns you are referring to. Not that there weren't any, but just wondering if we consider the same things plot turns.

Basically, [sblock]the fact that good guys don't really win! I found that a surprisingly dark turn for this type of novel![/sblock]

Taelorn76

First Post
I guess I thought of it more

[sblock]like a stalemate. The lesser of the two evils in the novel seemed to have come out on top, but not totally win. [/sblock]

Remove ads