• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ghost Touch Question

Kodam

First Post
Hi!

The Ghost Touch Quality makes armor or shields work against "incorporeal attacks". But most (if not all) of these are incorporeal touch attacks. I assume, this is an exception to the rule that armor doesn't work against touch attacks.

Am I right on this?

Kodam

Actually, the problem is in the description of incorporeal touch attacks.

They aren't *actually* touch attacks. They're just so close to them and follow so many of the same mechanics that they added the "touch" part to "incorporeal attack" - as in, you don't benefit from armor, etc.

For a normal touch attack, Armor, Shield, and Natural Armor bonuses (and Enhancements to same) don't count because hitting the armor is as good as hitting the person underneath.

For an incorporeal attack, Armor, Shield, and Natural Armor bonuses (and Enhancements to same) don't count because, being incorporeal, the attackers' hands / weapons just pass through them.

However, Force effects - like Mage Armor - still affect incorporeal creatures, so an Armor bonus from Mage Armor applies against incorporeal touch attacks.

So, Ghost Touch armor acts like a Force effect as far as incorporeal attacks are concerned. It applies.

In short, yes, you're right. :)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
UltimaGabe said:
However, if a Ghost were to cast Shocking Grasp, the target's Armor, Ghost Touch or not, wouldn't apply.

There's not a whole lot that would apply if a ghost were to cast Shocking Grasp.

"When a spellcasting ghost manifests, its spells continue to affect ethereal targets and can affect targets on the Material Plane normally unless the spells rely on touch. A manifested ghost’s touch spells don’t work on nonethereal targets."

-Hyp.

UltimaGabe

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
"When a spellcasting ghost manifests, its spells continue to affect ethereal targets and can affect targets on the Material Plane normally unless the spells rely on touch. A manifested ghost’s touch spells don’t work on nonethereal targets."

-Hyp.

Oops.

Well, what I said is still true, in one way or another. :p

Remove ads