• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ghostbusters: Who Ya Gonna Call?

talien

Community Supporter
ArthurQ said:
CRAP! dude, ive been planning to write ghostbusters for d20modern for ages!

I'm actually trying to get a license from Columbia so i can do a hardcover book for it.
GRRR cant belive somene did this already. least its not legal
*checks it out*
Wow, impressive.

I've heard Mark Arsenault of Gold Rush Games talk at Gen Con about the difficulty of acquiring a license -- specifically, the Zorro license. I really didn't think Zorro was quite as commercial as say, Ghostbusters. So I imagine it's a mighty steep hill to climb.

If I thought there was a ghost *cough cough* of a chance of me getting a license for any of this stuff, I would love to work on the product. The problem is getting to know the right people and having enough legal backing to legitimately meet expectations. I can't even conceive of what Mark had to go through for Zorro, but it wasn't pretty.

The only time I've successfully managed to snag a license was for the Abyss RPG, and that was turning it from one RPG into another. And that's cause Marco Pecota is a cool guy (who makes movies with real live movie stars!) and you can just call him up. :)

Good luck with your venture, and if you need any help, please don't hesitate to look me up.

talien

Community Supporter
Psychotic Jim said:
This is awesome. I think I'm gonna run a Ghostbuster/The Evil Dead hybrid game with this and your other Evil Dead: Swallow This supplement.
One question though: where are the ectoplasm shooters from Ghostbusters II?
This is a good question. I thought about the slime blower. I can easily write one up...

but really, do you WANT rules on a slime blower? I considered that very specific to the one movie. You'd have to have particular kind of ectoplasmic slime.

Given that I wanted to get this out when I had free time on the weekend, I figured I should skip the slime blower. But funny you pointed it out, as I did consider it.

I'll include it in the next update, I promise. I'll just hack the flamethrower rules and give it the effects of the emotion spell. :)

talien

Community Supporter
DarkSoldier said:
Did you use any of my stuff (Ghostbusters in Mage) for this project?
Hiya DS,

No sir. Didn't even know you did such a thing. I used the Ghostbusters RPG as a reference and worked with the two masters of all things Ghostbustery, Matt Riddle and Fritz Baugh. Their timeline is obscenely detailed and gave me plenty of material. If anything, I feel the Ghostbusters supplement simply isn't enough...there is SO MUCH in the Ghostbusters cartoon and comics that I haven't touched on.

On the other hand, a lot of it is pretty easily taken from other sources. I said this above already -- I would like to detail the main baddies (Samhain, Boogeyman, Sandman, etc.) at some point.

talien

Community Supporter
Alzrius said:
As always Talien, your work amazes me. The attention to detail here is nothing short of incredible, and the way the timeline and campaign introduction are laid out breathe new life into this great campaign about hunting the dead.
You're too good to me Alzrius. :)

Alzrius said:
By the way, where do you find the people who help you out with these campaign specifics?
I've discovered a very important fact. Any franchise of any popularity has fans. Those fans will collect data for you. Not for role-playing, but because they're fans. A very high percentage of franchises have fan-fic writers who like guidelines to flesh out their own universes. Some folk just like a timeline to keep things straight in their fan fiction, others like guidelines so they can see how each new piece of the puzzle (a new comic, a new movie) fits in.

These people are role-players waiting to be discovered. They know more about their subject than anyone else, but they don't necessarily apply it to role-playing.

Me? When I find someone with that much information, it MAKES me want to write a RPG about it. I just can't resist the pull of someone doing all that research FOR ME.

All I do is repackage it. I wish I could say I really wrote the majority of Ghostbusters -- or even Terminator or the other RPGs. For the most part, the really hard work was done by the people who have web sites already. I'm just taking advantage of what's out there already.

I really wish that every franchise was developed this way. That is, that the guys who worked on the product 1) had access to everything related to the franchise, including movies/comics/novels/whatever, 2) were real fans -- RABID fans -- who could rival anyone on the Internet.

I have seen this happen just twice: The Batman cartoon series and Lord of the Rings.

Lord of the Rings is easy. Peter Jackson is a fanatic for his subject and he did what I did -- he went out, found people who were doing LotR stuff already, and recruited them. Then he found people who maybe didn't realize they had that much in common with LotR, and recruited THEM. He put all the pieces together and he was a huge fan of the whole work. That zeal shows in everything he does.

(Not to compare myself to Peter Jackson either, I'm not that great, but I try to emulate his approach in everything I do -- fandom and love for the idea first, THEN the rest comes).

The Batman cartoon is another perfect example. Paul Dini took the backstory of the Batman comic. Then he mixed in what was cool about the movie. Then he took characters from the old 70s show and juiced them up. Parts he didn't like, he threw out. Parts he liked, he kept -- Batman's batwing and batmobile designs are from the movie, as are some of the character designs for the Penguin and Catwoman. Mister Freeze was NEVER as cool as he is in the cartoon (far cooler than the movie!). In fact, they wrote their OWN version of the movie "SubZero" that was way better than the actual movie itself.

The movie industry finally figured out that Paul Dini respects and loves the Batman license. Not the hacks who are obsessed with putting their own "spin" on the license so that everyone knows they made it. Paul wants Batman to BE Batman and he's not afraid to be invisible when mixing all the Batman ideas into a new, coherent franchise. I could go on about how he did a great homage to the Superman cartoons of the old days, but at this point I'm just ranting.

Okay, last example: The Real Ghostbusters cartoon. The cartoon was running before there was a second movie and then, when the new movie came out, they INCORPORATED the changes into the storyline! You've got to put your ego aside to do that. You've got to love the license and respect the fans to do that...even if you think the second movie was weak.

And oh yeah, J. Michael Straczynski (writer of Bablyon 5) wrote a bunch of the episodes, including the Collect Call of Cthulhu episode.

Rant off.

I think the reasoning behind how they were able to do that involves the copyrights limiting exactly how Cthulhu is depicted. IIRC, Chaosium, for example, holds the copyright to Cthulhu in RPGs, and August Derleth's publishing company (can't recall its name) has the copyright for stories involving Cthulhu, but no one has the copyright on Cthulhu cartoons, so the Great Old One can be depicted there.

Yeah, the Call of Cthulhu license is completely wacky. But that's okay, Straczynski did an excellent job with what he did -- in a "kid's" cartoon!

Sorry, I'll stop breathing heavy and retreat to my corner now, I'm passionate about doing a license right and it bugs me when any creative effort is hampered by politics with the license. Which is why I wish ArthurQ a lot of luck, it's a loooong road to travel.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
talien said:
You're too good to me Alzrius. :)

Considering how you make some of my most favorite shows, movies, etc into great d20 games, I don't think the praise is unwarranted.

I've discovered a very important fact. Any franchise of any popularity has fans. Those fans will collect data for you. Not for role-playing, but because they're fans.

Oh, I knew that part before I asked. What I meant was, do you just go to the biggest websites you can find and ask them for help, or what? I'm curious about how you actually find these people and recruit their help in a specific way.

Either way, look me up when you get around to doing a Resident Evil d20 game (since the one floating around out there, RE: The Umbrella Files, isn't very good). ;)

talien

Community Supporter
Alzrius said:
What I meant was, do you just go to the biggest websites you can find and ask them for help, or what? I'm curious about how you actually find these people and recruit their help in a specific way.

I do hours of research. I look for the best sites. I start to figure out very quickly who has really crappy sites. The Friday the 13th fandom is not very organized compared to Ghostbusters. Terminator fans are rare but dedicated. Evil Dead fans are practically a dying breed (the ones who run web sites, anyway). Usually, the biggest thing is the timeline. Anyone who has a timeline or encyclopedia -- a really good one, not a half-assed, "look I threw up something so you'll go to my site" -- is usually a person I ask. In every case, EVERYONE'S been very cool about it, which makes it even better. I generally do not ask folks who are already making their own RPGs, because I think it would probably irritate them.
Either way, look me up when you get around to doing a Resident Evil d20 game (since the one floating around out there, RE: The Umbrella Files, isn't very good). ;)
Funny, I thought Resident Evil d20 was well done. Perhaps that just proves how much of a fan I'm NOT that I can't tell the quality of the d20 game.

Here's the thing -- I need to be a fan to care enough about it to do a good job. And by that it means I really need to have a desire to do the research. And by that it means I actually bother to collect the other media (comics, movies, games, etc.).

I like Resident Evil a lot and really liked the movie (and really really like Mila :) ), but I'm not a fan. I wouldn't know where to start. I have a few of the games, not all that fond of them, feel that they're sort of a messy conglomeration of other zombie movies that have done a better job. I feel like the movie "cleaned stuff up" for the parts that the game bothered me about. But I haven't even played the game.

My brother, on the other hand, is a complete fanatic. But he's too busy to help.

So in short, I wish I could just say I'll do all the cool d20 licenses. But I figure someone who put work into their license probably has defined their own "turf" and wouldn't appreciate it. And it's hard to go and make a d20 game when you KNOW someone else already created one.

I have another question about license in general that I figure I should ask in another thread, so this is a good transition...

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
talien said:
Funny, I thought Resident Evil d20 was well done. Perhaps that just proves how much of a fan I'm NOT that I can't tell the quality of the d20 game.

Here's the thing -- I need to be a fan to care enough about it to do a good job. And by that it means I really need to have a desire to do the research. And by that it means I actually bother to collect the other media (comics, movies, games, etc.).

I like Resident Evil a lot and really liked the movie (and really really like Mila :) ), but I'm not a fan. I wouldn't know where to start.

Darn, I have the drive to do such a product, and possibly even the time, but no knowledge of the technical aspects of making it a web-release. I've never constructed a PDF file, and even if I did I'd have no website upon which to post it. I've made a timeline of events of the series and such (and promptly lost the damn thing), and catalogued the various media of it out there to boot.

Guess I'll visit that one again when a company gets the license. ;)

Last edited:

talien

Community Supporter
Ghostbusters: Who Ya Gonna Call v0.2

New version. Added rules on licensing official Ghostbusters products and the dreaded slime blower, which is a lot more powerful than I realized.

Anyone know how much proton packs are supposed to weigh? A flamethrower is 50 lbs, and while I can see the slime blower weighing that much, I wonder about the proton packs.

talien

Community Supporter
Gerald said:
Not to be a pedant ;), but Michael Reaves wrote that episode.

Have a look:
http://www.mindspring.com/~michaelreaves/callpreface.htm

To chime in with everyone else, this is just another feather in your cap! Good going!
Aww shucks, I should know better, as it's referenced on http://www.ghostbusters.net. My bad, that was a bit of fanboy awe going on where I just figured The Great Straczynski was responsible for all things great about Ghostbusters.

Sorry about that, thanks for setting me straight. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads