• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ghostwalk gets the shaft?

Cassander

First Post
Ghostwalk, the old secret project "g" from Monte Cook and Sean K. Reynolds, a campaign setting wherein the players play in a world of ghosts, is coming out finally in June after long delay.

WotC has announced that certain products will be forward compatible with D&D 3.5, but most have been written far more recently than the much delayed Ghostwalk. Will Ghostwalk get a revision to make it forward compatible as well? I know Monte Cook still hasn't seen the new rules... perhaps an editor revised Ghostwalk?

Without being compatible with the new rules (and even with a little forward compatability), it seems that a June release of Ghostwalk will really hurt it. Who will want to buy a 3.0 setting right before 3.5 comes out? I have a feeling the setting may have done much better far earlier, but perhaps WotC is expecting a low print run and is putting it out at a time when they dont expect strong sales?

From what's been said, Ghostwalk seems interesting and it seems a pity that it may be washed under by the tide of 3.5, but I suppose only time will tell.

WizarDru

Adventurer
Cassander said:
Without being compatible with the new rules (and even with a little forward compatability), it seems that a June release of Ghostwalk will really hurt it. Who will want to buy a 3.0 setting right before 3.5 comes out? I have a feeling the setting may have done much better far earlier, but perhaps WotC is expecting a low print run and is putting it out at a time when they dont expect strong sales?

From what's been said, Ghostwalk seems interesting and it seems a pity that it may be washed under by the tide of 3.5, but I suppose only time will tell.

Well, I think that even if it did use the 3.0 rules, that wouldn't be such a huge problem. Ghostwalk is significantly different from standard D&D to begin with, and it sounds like it may have some custom mechanics of it's own. Moreover, I think most of us are considering purchasing it for the setting, not the "crunch".

The other thing to consider is how many people have invested so much time in translating material from 1e/2e into 3e. People have been playing 'Against the Giants' and Planescape, for example. If folks are willing to take that much time and effort to translate such difficult translations, I find it hard to believe that Ghostwalk wouldn't be accepted, either way.

Worse comes to worse, Ghostwalk would surely get a web enhancement right after 3.5e came out.

Remove ads