• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ghostwalk+Shackled City

Peterson

First Post
So, I got the Shackled City hardcover and Ghostwalk...I'd like to combine the two of them together, especially since I'm running a group of only 3 players. Seems to me that the "Die, come back as a PC Ghost" can help with the expected deadliness of the Adventure Path.

Here's my question - has anyone out there done this, or something similar? If so, I would gladly appreciate any suggestions/experiences.

If it matters, I plan on having the "world of Ghostwalk" be generally South-East of Cauldron, and about 500 miles distant - not terribly far, but far enough that time-dependent adventures make traving to and from Manifest less likely.

Thank you.

Peterson

Odhanan

Adventurer
Here's my question - has anyone out there done this, or something similar?

Ghostwalk is part of my D&D/AE homebrew setting. It is actually useful to get some locations where ghosts can be material. Much like smaller Manifest wards. I use a device called a soulstone personally. This looks like a levitating obelisk most of the time (because it was used in a variety of rituals by mages from an ancient guild of the setting), but this isn't the only form in which you could encounter it. It is actually a sort of crystal that shines from within. Some solid Essentia, so to speak - I also use soulstones as a plot device to use Magic of Incarnum. Maybe some soulstones are located under and around Cauldron?

Anyway. The only advice I can think of is: don't make it too hard on the spirit to come back to the PCs party. This is kind of a waste of time that can be frustrating on the player - the goal after all is to allow players to play dead characters, instead of creating multiple obstacles that slow down the campaign too much.

If you have any specific areas where you'd like some feedback, please let me know. Perhaps I can help. Merry Christmas! B.P.

Last edited:

lrsach01

Explorer
I'm sworn never to speak of Cauldron agian....suffice it to say, our group started it on less than 4 separate times and ALWAYS ended up in a total party kill within 3 sessions....any way....I use Ghost wal in my campaign and its worked out...OK.

Manifest is the central location of my players and I've used several modules to lead them out on adventures. The only problem is that the players use the mechanics for gaming advantages only and not flavor. I thought that some would actually adventure as ghosts. I even homebrewed a way for them to keep the advantages of the Manifest Ward while the group is away from Manifest.

Regardless, I loved the Ghostwalk additions. Gameplay just didn't go as I'd hoped.

Peterson

First Post
I'd like to hear more about this...Soulstone....idea. Sounds interesting. Would like more information such as "Range of Effect", Market Price, Craft stats, etc.

Peterson

diaglo

Adventurer
Peterson said:
I'd like to hear more about this...Soulstone....idea. Sounds interesting. Would like more information such as "Range of Effect", Market Price, Craft stats, etc.

Peterson
for flavor text on this. read iirc, the FR novel Seven Sisters. one of the sisters is a ghost. and she uses a stone to go from body to body.

Remove ads