• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ghoul Touch

harperscout

First Post
I am curious what everyone's opinion on the Ghoul Touch spell is. The spell is on page 235 of the PHB.

First off, here is this spell:

-----------------------
Ghoul Touch [bookmark]

Necromancy

Level:
Sor/Wiz 2

Components:
V, S, M

Casting Time:
1 standard action

Range:
Touch

Target:
Living humanoid touched

Duration:
1d6+2 rounds

Saving Throw:
Fortitude negates

Spell Resistance:
Yes

Imbuing you with negative energy, this spell allows you to paralyze a single living humanoid for the duration of the spell with a successful melee touch attack.

Additionally, the paralyzed subject exudes a carrion stench that causes all living creatures (except you) in a 10-foot-radius spread to become sickened (Fortitude negates). A neutralize poison spell removes the effect from a sickened creature, and creatures immune to poison are unaffected by the stench.

Material Component: A small scrap of cloth taken from clothing worn by a ghoul, or a pinch of earth from a ghoul's lair.

------------------------------

My question is this: Does the initial target of the melee touch attack get a fortitude save to resist the effects entirely or does the fortitude save only apply to the individuals effected by the "carrion stench"? To ask it a different way, does the initial taget get to make a fortitude save if the touch attack hits him or does he only get his touch AC and is thus automatically paralyzed without any save allowed?

Just curious what you all think. Thank you in advance for your response.

Robert

Kurashu

First Post
If it was only against the stench it say Fortitude partial (see text), not Fortitude negates.

At least, that's what I'd say.

Remove ads