• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Ghouls still not quite right in MM

Uller

Adventurer
We saw a few iterations of the ghoul in the playtest. I am planning on using a few in an upcoming game but they still seem to lack some fearsomeness. I like that they only get on paralyzing attack per turn though but they can only bite (no paralysis) or claw.

I'm thinking one of two options to give them just a bit more umpf:

1: move the paralysis feature to the bite then add "Multiattack: if the ghoul hits with a claw attack it can bite as a bonus action" That way when it scores a hit with its claws it can make a second attack that may or may not paralyze ( and if the victim is already paralyzed it will more likely get two attacks because of advantage.

2: Leave paralysis as part of the claw attack but add the following power: "Hunger of the Grave: the ghoul may make a bite attack against a paralyzed foe as a bounus action."

As they are now even if you are paralyzed they just aren't that frightening because it just means they get to make their one attack wih advantage. I think once the victim is paralyzed the ghoul should become a much greater threat.

Tormyr

Hero
It is just a CR1 creature. An extra attack probably bumps this up to CR2. The victim is paralyzed for 1 minute with chances to save each round. There is every chance that they will be making more than 1 attack with advantage. Where this comes into its own is when there are multiple ghouls, as they can mob a PC with lots of opportunities for advantage. They are more dangerous once a victim is paralyzed because they switch from their claw to their bite attack.

Uller

Adventurer
Maybe. The bite is only +2 though. What if the damage on bite were only 1d6+2? Or eved 1d4+2? I think a level 1 party should have some serious hesitation when it comes to fighting a ghoul...

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
The "save every round" mechanic is just an utter buzzkill and makes things that should be really-to-heart-stoppingly bad a minor-to-momentary [1 round] inconvenience.

You've been paralyzed by the ghoul...previously indicating that you were helpless as the rest of the ghoulish pack clawed at and piled on to eat you alive. Your companions had to act with some haste and purpose to get/protect/defend you from the ghouls all too ready to pounce upon the first thing that got paralyzed or dispel/heal you of the condition right away.

Now, you've get paralyzed by the ghoul. Your companions can say, "Duuuude. That sucks. Don't worry. It'll wear off next round...maybe two. I'll just keep doing my own thing."

When I get a 5e game going, "saves each round" is sooo getting houseruled right out the window...for anything, not just ghouls. But ghouls is a great example as to why.

Boarstorm

First Post
I dunno. I ran a few ghoul encounters when my players were at levels 3&4.

Now at 5th level, they will (and have) charge(d) a stone golem.

But if they see a couple ghouls hanging around a cemetery, they will straight up leave town.

The "save every round" mechanic is just an utter buzzkill and makes things that should be really-to-heart-stoppingly bad a minor-to-momentary [1 round] inconvenience.

You've been paralyzed by the ghoul...previously indicating that you were helpless as the rest of the ghoulish pack clawed at and piled on to eat you alive. Your companions had to act with some haste and purpose to get/protect/defend you from the ghouls all too ready to pounce upon the first thing that got paralyzed or dispel/heal you of the condition right away.

Now, you've get paralyzed by the ghoul. Your companions can say, "Duuuude. That sucks. Don't worry. It'll wear off next round...maybe two. I'll just keep doing my own thing."

When I get a 5e game going, "saves each round" is sooo getting houseruled right out the window...for anything, not just ghouls. But ghouls is a great example as to why.
The catch is, with bounded accuracy, you can still fail a ghoul's save at 10th level. So a pack of 12 ghouls becomes terifying as they all have a reasonable chance of hitting and your chance of failing at least once goes up.

FYI, having done the math now, twelve ghouls is *exactly* a medium encounter for a group of four level 10 adventurers.
Which is fair as the wizard will obliterate them if they get a spell off first or the cleric if they can turn undead, but if the ghouls have the element of surprise and get the drop on the PCs they might be able to quickly paralyze half the party.

Gadget

Adventurer

Of course, if one is 'surrounded' by a ghoul pack and paralyzed, it may only take a round or two to become ghoul found. Save every round eliminates the need to track duration of effects, so it eliminates some book keeping. 3&4 editions showed that even a brief incapacitation could have devastating effects on an encounter. Thats one round at least that the burly fighter is not wailing away for a potential +X damage to the opposition, which usually translates into the party taking +y more damage and that much closer to beating a hasty retreat or a TPK.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Ghouls were glass cannons in 3e and earlier. IMHO that is not a good design for a low CR critter.

I think that critters that chew you badly when you are unlucky with your saves works well enough. Different strokes, etc.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads