• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Giant Ant

Blue Phoenix RPG

Publisher/Designer
Giant Ant

Medium Beast, unaligned
Armor Class Worker 12 (natural) / Soldier 14 / Queen 10
Hit Points Worker 10 (2d8)/ Soldier 15 (3d8) / Queen 24 (4d8)
Initiative +2
Speed 30 ft., climb 30., no swimming. (Queen flies 30 ft.)
STR 17 (+3) / DEX 14 (+2) / CON 10 (+0) / INT 1 (-6) / WIS 8 (-2)/ CHA 4 (-3)
Damage Resistances
slashing.

Vulnerabilities any magicalor chemical attack that affects their sense of smell.
Condition Immunities blinded, charmed, frightened
Senses blindsight 5 ft., darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception10
Languages
Challenge Worker 1/4 (50 XP) / Soldier 1 (100 XP) / Queen 2(300 XP)
Keen Smell. Ant has advantage on Wisdom/Perception checks that rely on smell.
Hive Mind. The ant has advantage on attack rolls against a target if at leastone of it's allies are within 5 ft. of it.
Actions

Bite. MeleeWeapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7(1d8+3) piercing damage. On a successful hit, the target is grappled(escape DC 13).
Poisonous Bite. +5to hit, reach 5ft., one target. Hit:3 piercing damage and the target must make a DC 12 Constitutionsaving throw, taking 3 (1d6) poison damage on a failed save or halfon a successful save.

Last edited:

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
because they work by smell, not by sight, and no hearing ability.

Oh you edited it; what you have now makes more sense than what you had before. Immunity to charm and frightened doesn't make that much sense to me, but if it fits your picture that's cool.

If you want them to be blind though, you should just give them blindsense with a decent radius. I don't believe that real world ants are blind though?

And slashing resistance seems a bit random?

Ants have pretty bad sight, but they definitely work with sight. They use it to memorize landmarks to know the way on a path they've traveled before. When they first walk a path they rarely use sight but instead use their antennae to follow chemical trails. But at the same time the memorization through sight process starts.

I guess they can be frightened, however, it's really hard to get an ant to run away because most are programmed to sacrifice themselves for the greater good.

They can definitely be charmed by mushrooms taking over their brain. :p
And they are basically permanently charmed by their queen I guess?

Oofta

Legend
Since the ants have senses that don't rely on sight I'd get rid of the immunity to blindness.

They are incredibly strong and quite fast - you might want to increase those numbers.

Instead of resistance to slashing, I'd just give them a higher AC.

I'd give them a higher con. Ants are surprisingly hard to kill.

I'd also break this up into 3 different entries. The base is fine for worker ants (or maybe they don't even attack) while the warriors spit acid and the queen has some kind of mind control ability. Give them something that makes them feel distinct, not just slightly different numbers.

Remove ads