• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Giant Pill Bugs

This is possible the stupidest thing ever but, my coworkers were discussing the funniest things to make into a Kaiju and this came up because I had just watched A Bug's Life with my son.
So here it is in all of it's splendor
Pill Bug, Giant
Large Vermin
HD: 8d8 +32
Initiative: +0
Speed: 20', Roll 40'
AC: 16 (-1 Size, +8 natural, -1 Dexterity)
Attacks: Bite +9 melee, Steam Roll +6
Damage: Bite 2d4, Steam Roll 4d8
Face/Reach: 5' X 10' / 5'
Special Attacks: Steam Roll
Special Qualities: Vermin
Saves: Fort +10, Ref +1, Will +2
Abilities: Str 16 (+3), Dex 8 (-1), Con 19 (+4), Int 1 -,Wis 10 (0), Cha 9 (-1)
Skills: Listen +6, Spot +6
Climate/Terrain: Temperate and warm land, and underground
Organization: Cluster (2-5)
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 9-14 HD (Large); 15-21 HD (Huge)
Giant Pill Bugs are large segmented insects that live in large forrested areas or underground typically under large boulders and such. They feed on fallen trees, fungus and other detriments. The creatures grow up to length of 15 feet.
Combat
Typically Giant Pill Bugs are harmless and scatter on site, but every once in a while they creatures are enraged (no one knows what causes this), are they either attack with their powerful mandibles, or attempt to roll over the attackers.
Steam Roll (Ex): Giant Pill Bugs are known to curl up into a tight ball protecting their delicate underbellies with their chitinous segemented shells. They proceed to roll their ball-like bodies over every thing in their path. Any creature hit by the rolling pill bug must make a reflex save or suffer 4d8 points of crushing damage. If the reflex save is made, half damage is taken.
Vermin: Immune to mind-influencing effects. Giant Pill Bugs have darkvision to a range of 60 feet.

Any of you monster checkers out there please let me know if this is correct. I believe I followed the correct path on it.

Frog Slime

First Post
You didn't list standard hitpoints, and it's initiative should be -1 ( for a -1 Dexterity modifier ).

Perhaps a burrow speed or climb speed might be in order?

quick question for the monster geniuses out there

As I advance this creature and even in this minimum form, does the str modifier get applied to both the attack and damage for its bit, and steam roll attacks, and later on, to it's ranged spike attack?
I have always been confused about that, can someone please point out where it tells of this, in the attributes section for str it only says about adding damage to melee weapons and thrown weapons. Please can someone clarify this for me.

Devon

First Post
You generally add the strength modifier (or 1.5 x str modifier) to most special attacks such as rend and trample. This steam roll attack would qualify.

That said, I don't recall that it is specifically stated anywhere, but can be deduced from existing Monster Manual entries, such as the Troll (for rend, uses 1.5x str). It may also be mentioned in the Special Abilities section at the beginning of the Monster Manual.

Usually ranged attacks such as you mention would not usually qualify for a strength bonus to damage, but I would check the Manticore's tail spike attack for a precedent.

- Devon

Last edited:

Remove ads