• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 1E Giants, has anyone converted them back to their 1E Hit Dice and Size?

Scorpio616

First Post
Forking off this topic... http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...-CR-if-I-keep-my-giants-Large-instead-of-Huge

Has anyone used the DMG monster rules to drop the giants to their 1E Hit dice and sizes? While I like giants being back to "pick you up one handed" size, I know some folks are likely just using them AS their classic sizes, if only to fit them into dungeons easier. Heck even Wizkids kept the giant mini's bases the 2" large size even though the minis were big enough to be huge (3").

big unss.JPG

I'm curious if anyone has done the paperwork to get them closer to the way they used to be, accounting into CR the loss of hit dice and the damage drop from huge to large weapons for Hill - Fire giants.

1E AD&D said:
Hill giant 10.5' tall 8HD+1-2hp
Stone giant 12' tall 9HD+1-3hp
Frost giant 15' tall 10HD+1-4hp
Fire giant 12' tall 11HD+2-5hp
Cloud giant 18' tall 12HD+2-7hp
Storm giant 21' tall 15HD+2-7hp

Last edited:

fjw70

Adventurer
I haven't used Giants in 5e yet but if I am hoping yo use minis I would probably use my large base Giants for them. However, I would change their stats. They will be huge creatures on a large base.

ruleslawyer

I prefer to keep them as is if only because the CR ranges are quite valuable given the range of usable monsters. Bringing giants down that much starts compressing their CR range closer to that of ogres, minotaurs, and bugbears, and we already have those guys in the game!

Remove ads