GIANTSLAYER Adventure Path Is Nearly Here!

The Iron Gods AP (87.5%) is drawing to a close, and Giantslayer is just around the corner with Battle of Bloodmarch Hill. Paizo's Rob McCreary shares some information about the upcoming storyline which "features an almost bewildering variety of Brobdingnagian foes for your PCs to battle and slay, from old favorites like hill giants, stone giants, frost giants, fire giants, cloud giants, and storm giants, to less common colossi like cave giants, marsh giants, slag giants, and ash giants, not to mention cyclopes, ettins, ogres, trolls, and more. We've even got a couple of all new giants—the mongrel giant and the tomb giant—making appearances in Giantslayer, so be sure to take a look at the bestiaries for this AP."

The Iron Gods AP (87.5%) is drawing to a close, and Giantslayer is just around the corner with Battle of Bloodmarch Hill. Paizo's Rob McCreary shares some information about the upcoming storyline which "features an almost bewildering variety of Brobdingnagian foes for your PCs to battle and slay, from old favorites like hill giants, stone giants, frost giants, fire giants, cloud giants, and storm giants, to less common colossi like cave giants, marsh giants, slag giants, and ash giants, not to mention cyclopes, ettins, ogres, trolls, and more. We've even got a couple of all new giants—the mongrel giant and the tomb giant—making appearances in Giantslayer, so be sure to take a look at the bestiaries for this AP."

PZO9091-GiantOpener.jpg

"Deep in the Mindspin Mountains, a storm giant warlord known as the Storm Tyrant has seized control of a cloud castle and an Orb of Dragonkind, and is gathering an army of giants from across western Avistan—first to bring the orc hordes of Belkzen under his banner, then to conquer the neighboring realms. Heroes defending the human town of Trunau from an orc raid discover that the attack is just a precursor to the Storm Tyrant’s larger plans. Working their way through an abandoned border fort, an ancient giant temple, the tomb of an undead frost giant, and an elite fire giant training facility beneath a dormant volcano, the heroes eventually take the fight to the Storm Tyrant himself inside his flying fortress. Can the giant army be defeated before it can conquer the human lands of the Inner Sea, or will all of Avistan bow down in fealty to the Storm Tyrant?"

PZO9093-Gristlecrack_120.jpeg
PZO9092-MarshGiant_180.jpeg
PZO9093-Urathash_120.jpeg

turkeygiant

First Post
What levels is this going to run through? I imagine it wont start at 1 with giants being the theme.

I've liked how the campaigns have had strong genre themes in the past, pirates, kung-fu, weird science, etc., but I kinda feel like "giants" is a weak premise to hang a game on, throwing every possible type of giant into the campaign feels forced.

Actually, it does start at level 1 (and apparently with orcs), and the announced levels look like they follow the exact same pattern as their other APs - 1st, 4th, 7th, 10th, 13th, and most likely the last one (no product page yet) starting at level 15.

Although I do agree that the premise doesn't sound as strong to me either. But also, I believe they alternate "high concept/weird" and "traditional/classic" and Iron Gods is definitely high concept weird, and Giantslayer is definitely a shout out to classic Against the Giants. So I'm sure there's a lot of interest, but I'm with you - I'm really into the stronger themes.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Actually, it does start at level 1 (and apparently with orcs), and the announced levels look like they follow the exact same pattern as their other APs - 1st, 4th, 7th, 10th, 13th, and most likely the last one (no product page yet) starting at level 15.

Although I do agree that the premise doesn't sound as strong to me either. But also, I believe they alternate "high concept/weird" and "traditional/classic" and Iron Gods is definitely high concept weird, and Giantslayer is definitely a shout out to classic Against the Giants. So I'm sure there's a lot of interest, but I'm with you - I'm really into the stronger themes.
Indeed, but bad news for you. This year they are doing two traditional/classic adventure path. This is the first one. The second has been announced. The temporary title is "Hell's Rebels". http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2rdj2?2015-AP-is-Hells-Rebels

What is interesting about that one is that this AP will include the 100th AP module. So it will be filled with goodies and such.

Indeed, but bad news for you. This year they are doing two traditional/classic adventure path. This is the first one. The second has been announced. The temporary title is "Hell's Rebels". http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2rdj2?2015-AP-is-Hells-Rebels

What is interesting about that one is that this AP will include the 100th AP module. So it will be filled with goodies and such.

Thanks for the heads up! That's fine with me. I have enough of their APs queued up to still get around to playing that I'm set for a while. Also, I have never gotten into Golarion's wider plots and story, and this one sounds like it does. (Nothing against any of Golarion's story, it is cool and well developed, we have just focused elsewhere.) So I have no problem with them catering to others for a while. They have given me more weirdness than I thought they ever would. :)

Although I might have to keep my eye on that 100th.

NewJeffCT

First Post
I hope they can give it a good amount of flavor, as i think battling orcs, and then different types of giants, could get old pretty fast.

Also, the premise of saving the lands of the Inner Sea seems kind of small scale - how about saving the world of Golarion itself?

BackInAction

First Post
I hope they can give it a good amount of flavor, as i think battling orcs, and then different types of giants, could get old pretty fast.
Aren't some of the greater giant types typically good aligned? If so, the 'flavor' could be needing to broker an alliance with the good giants? And I would think any evil giant stronghold is more than likely to have evil pets and evil allies, so there is no need to assume every bad guy will be a giant.

IIRC, wasn't there an old AD&D module series with giants?

NewJeffCT

First Post
Aren't some of the greater giant types typically good aligned? If so, the 'flavor' could be needing to broker an alliance with the good giants? And I would think any evil giant stronghold is more than likely to have evil pets and evil allies, so there is no need to assume every bad guy will be a giant.

IIRC, wasn't there an old AD&D module series with giants?

Yes, there are good giants and that could be an interesting quest, but is it worth a whole adventure within an adventure path? And, then you have the other 5 adventures still as well.

There was a classic module in the past "Against the Giants" which is well regarded. However, it's definitely an old school adventure that is mainly a dungeon crawl, if I recall.

Grue

First Post
I'm a subscriber but I'm not especially excited about this one. They already had a primary giant antagonist AP called Rise of the Runelords...I don't think the plot will be especially strong enough for me to pull it off the shelf and convince my players to slog through another Giant murder-fest anytime soon;-).

I really wish they'd do an Underdark-centric AP (Second Darkness isn't quite there) or something dealing with the aboleth sometime soon (while I think they have a ban on the Aboleth being involved in any other major conspiracies, I can't think of one AP that actually involves them).

Or even if they'd lift a page from CoC and do an 'expedition' AP in the vein of Beyond the Mountains of Madness. I'd have to scan through the collection but I think most (if not all) of their APs have used the 'stop the rising evil\BBEG' plotline to thread their adventures together and I think they're missing some opportunities.

Remove ads

Remove ads