• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gifts for a Low-bie Party - Advice?

Bodhiwolff

First Post
Here is my situation.

I started a 4E campaign with friends, and we've been having a fine old time. We started with Keep on the Shadowfell, but we stopped that adventure early after reaching 2nd level, mostly because the plotline had some serious holes in it and it seemed to be very linear. I wanted to give people a real shot at enjoying D&D, so we agreed to simply morph our game into another "official" module, the new Scepter Tower of Spellgard, which is supposed to start for 2nd level characters anyway.

So our party is 2nd level, but they have almost no magic items (they have one set of dwarven armour, one amulet of health, and some healing potions).

After looking through the Scepter Tower of Spellgard module, I was impressed with the layout and the plotline (although the actual climax might need a little tweaking).

However, the rewards, especially in the early part of the module, seem a little skewed.

As an example, in the first section of the module, as the adventurers work their way into the actual Tower proper, the only rewards for the party (other than gold) are a +1 Orb and a +1 Wand and a potion. The Orb and the Wand do the exact same thing from a mechanics perspective, and since they don't "stack", having both is a bit useless.

The party is amassing a bit of gold, so I'm willing to have them purchase some items to get rid of the gold, but found items are always more cool!

So I want your advice.

I want good, solid magic items (from the PHB or AV, I own both) which you feel are good for adventurers. I don't want them to be overpowered for their level (so level 2, or 3, maybe 4?). I want everybody to feel that they're getting something fun, useful, something that they'll clutch lovingly to their bosom.

I don't want them to say "aww, fine, I'll take the necklace, I guess ... whatever ..." I want them to name their new toy, and love it!

Examples?

Wizard Reward: I was looking at the Wand of Missile Mastery, which is a +1 wand which also allows Magic Missile to "push 1 square" upon hitting. I figure that a controller who can actually control the battlefield a bit, at range, with their at-will power, might be a smidge more useful, but not horrifically overpowered.

Ranger: I was looking at the Point Blank weapon (may avoid Attacks of Opportunity) or the Prime Shot weapon (+1 damage when able to use Prime Shot ability, which the Ranger is always trying to set himself up for anyway)

Fighter: I was looking at the Inescapable Weapon (cumulative +1 to hit whenever you miss with the weapon, so long as you don't change targets ... nice for those sessions where you keep swishing!)

Cleric: I was looking at the Holy Healer's weapon (adds +1 to healing, with a minor daily power of allowing an ally to heal with a surge plus bonus)

Rogue Reward : Is there anything which makes getting combat advantage easier? My rogue has not yet worked out the intricacies of gaining combat advantage, and other than the occasional flanking maneuver, he rarely gets his sneak attack bonus in.

I'd really like to find something for the rogue.

Other stuff that caught my eye (and hmm, did you notice that everything there was a weapon ... any suggestions for non-weapon cool items?)

Eternal Chalk, Restful Bedroll, Floating Lantern -- all seemed very interesting to me, especially the Restful Bedroll, 'cause at low levels 1d8 temporary hitpoints for a wizard would be a great thing!

Any advice?

Kaelkatar

First Post
For the Rogue you want the duelist's Weapon, page 234 of the PHB.
Remember to cover all major magic item slots, throw in some armor or necks. Your fighter might enjoy an AC boost just as much as a damage boost.

Talysian

Explorer
One Suggestion is have your players go through and make wish lists. It seriously helps me with awarding treasure parcels. And I have to say Keep of the shadowfell was very lacking (in many areas) as far as following the treasure parcel system that Wizards laid out. (my.02)

fissionessence

First Post
It sounds like you've already got a pretty good idea of what you want to give to the party, so I say go with that. Keep in mind, though, that you don't have to make all of the rewards weapons. Although I guess it's nice for a character's first magic item to be a weapon so they can get to hitting more consistently from the get-go, there are a bunch of other 'slots' players can fill with cool stuff.

For example, a rogue who wants to get combat advantage more may consider many of the Adventurer's Vault boots (feet slot items). Some of the flankier ones aren't until higher levels, but the level 6 Goblin Stompers could help. Once per encounter the wearer's get to use the Goblin's racial shifty power, basically. You could also give the rogue Boots of Stealth (level 3) and remind him that using Stealth in combat is a reasonable way of gaining combat advantage regularly.

~

Bodhiwolff

First Post
Thanks for the replies, all.

I had indeed noticed that I'd gone weapons-heavy, but I think that I was just attempting to acknowledge that everybody's first "real" magic weapon tends to be memorable, and cool, and stick with them.

I'd like to shake things up, and not be quite so predictable. If nothing else, after an initial odd smattering of weapons, they definitely won't be seeing any more for awhile! ;-)

If there are other non-weapon suggestions, I'm all ears!

As an example -- is there a non-weapon option for the cleric; something with comparable healing-type abilities?

As for the rogue ideas, I really appreciate the suggestions, and welcome any more which come along. I like the idea of the "shifty" ability (they've seen enemies use it to great advantage, so he could use it now) and it strikes me as easier to get flanking position to enable combat advantage than to use stealth (i.e. for stealth, you have to go get concealment, start your movement action to activate your stealth check, make your attack, etc.) It just seems to take too long, and be too dependant on needing surrounding cover, obstacles, and significant terrain. However, he needs to start working it, if he's going to get that advantage going.

Keep that advice coming! I really appreciate it!

Gort

Explorer
My suggestion is to never use a flat "+1 item". Give everything a special ability. It just adds so much flavour if your magic sword also sets stuff on fire.

Glimmin

First Post
Thanks for the replies, all.

I had indeed noticed that I'd gone weapons-heavy, but I think that I was just attempting to acknowledge that everybody's first "real" magic weapon tends to be memorable, and cool, and stick with them.

I'd like to shake things up, and not be quite so predictable. If nothing else, after an initial odd smattering of weapons, they definitely won't be seeing any more for awhile! ;-)

If there are other non-weapon suggestions, I'm all ears!

As an example -- is there a non-weapon option for the cleric; something with comparable healing-type abilities?

As for the rogue ideas, I really appreciate the suggestions, and welcome any more which come along. I like the idea of the "shifty" ability (they've seen enemies use it to great advantage, so he could use it now) and it strikes me as easier to get flanking position to enable combat advantage than to use stealth (i.e. for stealth, you have to go get concealment, start your movement action to activate your stealth check, make your attack, etc.) It just seems to take too long, and be too dependant on needing surrounding cover, obstacles, and significant terrain. However, he needs to start working it, if he's going to get that advantage going.

Keep that advice coming! I really appreciate it!

For a cleric, exalted armor is pretty handy. That was the first magic item I gave my party's warlord (we don't have a cleric) and he's used it to great advantage in dire situations.

My party just hit level 3 right now and half the magic items I gave out so far have been weapons with the last of five people will be getting a weapon this level. I do agree it's a little odd that with so many item slots, there's so many weapons at once, but a weapon is usually the most useful and coolest magic item to be your first (or nearly first). Plus, it's not that weird, considering the clumping property of truly random systems.

Cryptos

First Post
When I was planning an adventure for level one characters before seeing any of the player characters, one of the things I did was write out a sort of schedule of rewards so that I'd at least have something ready and relatively fair to the average group to get them up to speed on the basics:

Parcel 1: Magic item level 5 – an armor ideally suited for the character with the lowest defenses overall.

Parcel 2: Magic item level 4 – a weapon or implement for the character with the lowest attack bonuses overall.

Parcel 3: Magic item level 3 – an armor or neck item ideally suited for the character with the next lowest defenses overall.

Parcel 4: Magic item level 2 – a weapon or implement ideally suited for the character with the next lowest attack bonuses overall.

Parcel 5: In place of gold, a ritual and ritual components worth 200 gp, if there is a ritualist in the party who did not receive a reward from any of the above parcels. Otherwise, provide the full gold reward of 200 gp.
I then had lists for each parcel that included something usable by a range of characters / character types. I figured this would be the most fair way to generate treasure without seeing the actual characters and their strengths and weaknesses beforehand.

If your characters are lagging in the magic item department, you might want to try something similar, but with the advantage of knowing the characters and not having to make a list of items that fit the criteria.

Bodhiwolff

First Post
What type cleric do you have? Melee heavy or laser cleric?

Sorry, was unfamiliar with the term "laser cleric", so I had to look it up.

He is more melee oriented, although he recently seemed to twig to the fact that when the party needs healing, it'd be awfully nice if he had some sort of healing abilities on tap. He changed his mind about his setup, and chose Cure Light Wounds, as an example, after being in a situation where he would've liked to have healed a party member and found himself coming up short.

He is very melee oriented, wants to trash undead, but wants to also be able to heal. The rest of the stuff tends to just drift by.

Which is why I was looking for something which aided his healing gifts. It'd be nice to emphasize that aspect, which is the only area that he seemed to ever be struggling with, occasionally.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads