Ginger-ism

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a friend makes a joke about, well, anything, I don't really care. Cuz it's a joke - I cannot stress this enough. Jokes are different from mean spirited attacks.

Saying something is a "joke" is not an excuse.

"What do you call 1000 dead [insert racial slur of choice]? A good start!" is a joke, but it's also offensive.

It's possible for the underlying context to change the meaning meaning of something; a racial slur can convey different meanings if it is used to intentionally portray a character as a villian, or if it is use to display a juxtaposition of different positions, or if it is used as a refuge in audacity. In the case you give, the performer and audience (you and your friends) is the context that makes a ginger joke acceptable within that group. But saying something is a "joke" is not sufficient context to make a blanket statement about how offensive it is.

Tea He

Banned
Banned
Why is everybody crying over ginger jokes?
What about blonde jokes!?
Lets give them a chance to be butt hurt as well...

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Saying something is a "joke" is not an excuse.

"What do you call 1000 dead [insert racial slur of choice]? A good start!" is a joke, but it's also offensive.

It's possible for the underlying context to change the meaning meaning of something; a racial slur can convey different meanings if it is used to intentionally portray a character as a villian, or if it is use to display a juxtaposition of different positions, or if it is used as a refuge in audacity. In the case you give, the performer and audience (you and your friends) is the context that makes a ginger joke acceptable within that group. But saying something is a "joke" is not sufficient context to make a blanket statement about how offensive it is.

Yeah ... I'm pretty sure I said pretty much the same thing - possibly even in the quote you chose to chop up. If you can't be bothered to read it, though, I can't be bothered to go back and find it. Movin' on ...

as an actual ginger and receiver of the so called "jokes" I can tell you that they do hurt from the annoying "I've heard it a million times get a new one" to the point of it being done to be a jerk. The doing it to be a jerk honestly had a hand in causing me to withdraw into myself during the 4th grade.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Why is everybody crying over ginger jokes?
What about blonde jokes!?
Lets give them a chance to be butt hurt as well...

Please ignore this post, folks. It's from a permabanned member trolling us with an alt account.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Context and audience matters

Just wanted to say, that context and audience matter.

What can be said to close friends or associates in a private setting is different from what can be said in public, and different from what can be said in a semi-public controlled environment (like a workplace). (This site is a semi-public controlled environment: It has public access, but is privately owned and operated, and folks posting are required to keep to the rules.)

Where (geographically) a comment is made matters, too. Having traveled, not a lot, but quite far, there are conversations I would distinctly not have in certain locales. I suspect that "Ginger" as a term has a different enough meaning in different locales that no single rule applies.

In my experience, lots of folks will overlook unfriendly speech in a public place -- to a point. After which, they will move elsewhere, or ask you to take your conversation elsewhere, or invoke an authority.

A work environment is entirely another matter. I can't speak to a lot of work environments, but where I work I almost never hear "unfriendly talk" (which very clearly disallowed). Here "unfriendly talk" means anything disruptive to the work environment, and usually includes politics or social issues, and always covers anything rude, demeaning, or hateful. That's unfortunately vague, but the entire guidelines would not fit into this note. I understand that to be more-or-less the rule for most work places, but, I also suspect that a lot of environments stray from the rule.

What all that says is that, at least for the current topic, generalization is rather less than useful.

Thx!

TomB

delericho

Legend
The only difference is in how you personally choose to see it.

It's really not. If I'm truly bothered by jokes about being a geek, I could stop being a geek easily enough. If a person were truly bothered about jokes about being ginger, they can't stop being ginger - it's a matter of genetics, and part of who they are. The best they could do is hide it, and that's hardly a good solution.

I obviously don't think no one is offended by ginger jokes. What I'm saying is that in the vast majority of cases I don't think they have a reason to be.

Whether you or I think they have a reason to be bothered by the 'jokes' is largely irrelevant. They are bothered by them.

I'm also afraid that any claim it is "just a joke" is simply mistaken. I suggest reading here on the topic, and especially this bit about modern discrimination. The cases of violence it describes are thankfully rare, but that doesn't make them any less wrong.

Last edited:

Bullgrit

Adventurer
When one tells a joke that someone else finds offensive / is hurt by, it was a simple mistake. "I only meant it as a joke. Sorry." But if one continues to tell similar jokes in spite of knowing someone is offended/hurt, that joke-teller is a jerk. "It's only a joke, dude. Lighten up." There is no need to tell jokes, so stopping doesn't hurt you in any way.

Bullgrit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads