• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gish build - wiz/rog

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
I agree, the bast gish are straight arcane caster. I just want to play it with the theme of wiz/rogue with emphasis on caster. It is also related to the background of the character.
So I ask again, what do you imagine your character doing with this build? In my first post, I assumed an emphasis on the Rogue side, with spells to supplement skills.

What do you want a caster with some rogue-ish flavor to do? Especially since you're not doing it for the Sneak Attack, that leaves trapfinding and a lot of skills. A Wizard tends to not need to be great at skills, since spells like Knock replace Open Lock, Suggestion & Charm replace many social skills, using spells to trigger traps is easier than disabling them, and so on.

You help me understand what you have in mind, I can help you on how to build it.

slobster

Hero
AAARGH!!!
The term "gish" gets misused terribly in the gamer community. I hate it when it's misused. You don't refer to your Dark Sun-based human enchanter as a "bladesinger" just because some elven wizards in FR are called bladesingers, do you?

Well, I think that is the origin of the term, but no longer its only definition. The term "gish" is so widely used in the gamer community for a fighter/caster hybrid character that the colloquial connotation has eclipsed its original use.

Just like "barbarian" began as an onomatopoeia for babbling foreigners, then became a term for people who weren't Greek, then people who weren't civilized, then a character in an RPG who can rage and swings big weapons.

But just as you don't see a lot of people complaining that every class should be considered a barbarian because none of them were born in one of the ancient Greek city-states, I think we can grant that "gish" as a bit of slang shorthand for "caster-melee hybrid" is a legitimate use of the word. :)

/pedantic lecture ;)

notjer

First Post
#Rumbletiger

To just give a very brief background on the character:

He is a part of an wealthy and influential battle-mage family. My character follows this tradition to some extend. He is an explorer and academic with a great interest in all kind of different cultures especially with focus on history and religion, however. He is a nasty guy, he knows how to beat up people, the family is split in two branches and there is an constant internal political fight that the outside does not know of.

So what do I want him to be able to do? Well, it is a little hard to say since I never played a "gish" character before. After the mentioning of Unseen seer and Divine Orcale I guess I want to follow that path, One thing I have been thinking about was how to optimize the "arcane strike" concept - burn the spells and smash the enemy, maybe at the cost of the sneak attack to get the right feats.... somehow, but I do not know how.

I guess I actually should translate rogue to something between "explorer" and "smart thug" (so maybe I need the SA). I will be a little behind in spell progression because I take the rogue class and I also want the human paragon - but from there I must have full caster progression and I will take the practised spellcaster feat.

Was that enough info? Otherwise, please, just dig in it.

##
##
and again, sorry about the misuse of "gish".... what else should I call it? It seems like everyone else online use the term gish for nearly the same thing.... even for kobold characters xD

notjer

First Post
I thought about that but it did not fit in with the academic explore I had in mind.

As it looks now I will go for Rog1/Wiz2/Human Paragon3 and thereafter a mixture of unseen seer and divine oracle depending on how the compaign proceeds.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Are you familiar with the Factotum class, from Dungeonscape? It comes off as a good skillmonkey/arcane caster mix.

Wizard/Factotum might serve you better than Wizard/Rogue.

parinho7

First Post
[FONT=&quot]Spellthief(1)/Wizard(4)/Mindbender(1)/Unseen Seer(4)/Arcane Trickster(10)[/FONT]

FEATS
[FONT=&quot]1st Craven, Able Learner[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3rd Extend Spell [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6rd Two-Weapon Fighting [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]9rd Master Spellthief [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]12rd Mindsight[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]15rd Darkstalker [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]18rd Persistent Spell[/FONT]

loses only one caster level and gets +8d6+20 SN +hunter's eye

suggested equipment
gloves of balanced striking
feycraft speed daggers x2