• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Githzerai Clerics & Deitys

cloaker

First Post
Im playing City of the Spider Queen (FR) and my character last game got killed and no way to Raise him, so Im thinking about replacing him with a Githzerai Cleric (I was the group cleric and without a cleric its impossible to continue, so Im forced to make another one).
I made this thread for three purposes:
1st) What deitys do Githzerai pray to? They are normally monks and it seems they have lawful tendencys, but nothing more is said in any book. Anyone know a few deitys or a source where I could get info on this? I thought about Kossuth, but Im not quite sure.

2nd) Any tips on roleplaying a Githzerai, especially a cleric Githzerai? To enter in mid-adventure I am thinking about making part of a Rrakma (Mindflayer hunting party) and his the last one.

3rd) Any tips on recomended feats, stats, etc (10th lvl)? Githzerai have +6 DEX, -2 INT, +2 WIS, a few spell-like abilities and Inertial armor (+4 armor bonus), and SR 5+charlvl. Im thinking about making him sort of archer with all that dex, but cant use bows (unless I take a feat) and i dislike crossbows.

My main concern is the deitys for which a Githzerai would have, because they are a strange race.

Thanks for any help,
cloaker

Its 3.0 and Forgotten Realms.

Wycen

Explorer
Well, first you should figure out if he's a planar githzerai or if he's been fostered into the FR. If you are a Forgotten Realms native, then one of their gods.

However I don't know who a githzerai cleric might worship other than Zerthimon or Gith or somebody from their history. Obviously the githyanki worship their lich-queen, but I don't think they are supposed to have any real priests. So, possibly building on this, the githzerai don't have any god they worship specifically either.

Considering their homeplane is Limbo, the realm of chaotic neutral alignment, I would suggest each githzerai cleric have a very individual religion and relationship with whoever they choose to worship.

Maybe somebody with additional Planescape knowledge can offer an answer.

You could come up with a very weird battle style, represented by feats. Maybe he's a whirlwind of activity and get dodge, mobility, and spring attack. Or get all the ranged attack feats if you want to be an archer, take a level of ranger to get the weapon prof with bows. Otherwise weapon finesse would be good since you have such a high Dex bonus.

LcKedovan

Explorer
Basically neither have any religion or priests per-se despite in many ways being religiously organised. The Githzerai could potentially have priests worshipping Zaerith Menyar-Ag-Gith however their spells would be granted by a god who feels the whim to grant them, not by Zaerith Menyar-Ag-Gith. The same would go for githyanki and Vlaakith CLVII. Gith would be an option to be worshipped as well but none are gods... which is the sticking point. To be fair Vlaakith CLVII is going for godhood, and Zaerith Menyar-Ag-Gith probably wouldn't mind people worshipping him although he doesn't seek it out.

Since you mentioned he is in the FR, he could be a convert who has decided to follow another diety's path, but still reveres the old heroes and histories of the Gith?
-W.

cloaker

First Post
Where can I find storys about the githzerai and especially Gith and the old heroes and thier historys. Want to know more about the githzerai and thier past history.

Carnifex

First Post
Remember that clerics can worship and derive spells from concepts like 'good' without needing any deity, as oer the PHB (though your DM may decide otherwise in his campaign). Your cleric could be a githzerai so focused on his inner self that he can actually manifest divine spells from his belief and force of will...

reiella

Explorer
Wycen said:
Well, first you should figure out if he's a planar githzerai or if he's been fostered into the FR. If you are a Forgotten Realms native, then one of their gods.

However I don't know who a githzerai cleric might worship other than Zerthimon or Gith or somebody from their history. Obviously the githyanki worship their lich-queen, but I don't think they are supposed to have any real priests. So, possibly building on this, the githzerai don't have any god they worship specifically either.

Considering their homeplane is Limbo, the realm of chaotic neutral alignment, I would suggest each githzerai cleric have a very individual religion and relationship with whoever they choose to worship.

Maybe somebody with additional Planescape knowledge can offer an answer.

You could come up with a very weird battle style, represented by feats. Maybe he's a whirlwind of activity and get dodge, mobility, and spring attack. Or get all the ranged attack feats if you want to be an archer, take a level of ranger to get the weapon prof with bows. Otherwise weapon finesse would be good since you have such a high Dex bonus.

Planar Githzerai would not worship Gith. Gith is the half of the rebellion that founded the Githyanki (and later wanted to conquer worlds after their independance).

And while Githzerai are native to Limbo, they're also heavily LN. They live there as a struggle against the chaos.

A Githzerai Athar would be perfect. The unbroken circle of zerthimon is a nice background and means to grasp. Also look at Planescape Torment.

Honestly, if you're playing to the Typical Githzerai, you really shouldn't be a cleric of a god, but more of concepts and ideas, which doesn't fit so well with the FR rules.

LcKedovan

Explorer
Carnifex said:
Remember that clerics can worship and derive spells from concepts like 'good' without needing any deity, as oer the PHB (though your DM may decide otherwise in his campaign). Your cleric could be a githzerai so focused on his inner self that he can actually manifest divine spells from his belief and force of will...

Exactly, hence they could outwardly also worship Zaerith Menyar-Ag-Gith, Gith, or Zerthimon in name, but it would be their "belief" in a concept that manifests the divine spells.

As any cutter knows, belief is power!

-W.

Arravis

First Post
Some of my DM notes on the Githzerai, hope this helps:

"Better the heartfelt devotion of a free soul than the grudging obedience of a slave." —Githzerai saying.

“Always be aware of the threats to freedom. Always be aware of your individuality, and show honor to those individuals who prove worthy of it. Destroy all oppressors, liars and traitors, showing as little mercy as they would to you. Choose your own fate, and live to honor it.”

Traits: Humorless, unfriendly, cautious, monastic, loyal, lonely, grim, somber, free-willed, despise slavery of intelligent creatures of any sort, strong sense of individuality, repressed, hard-hearted, quiet

Physical descriptions: Their features and skin tone recall a blend of Caucasians and Mongolians that seem somehow sharpened, with yellow or grey eyes. Males usually sport long hair and whispy moustaches and goatees; females tend to keep their heads and bodies covered out of modesty. Githzerai tend to dress conservatively, and are fond of understastated robes and tunics worn over any armor they possess. They favor browns, greys and other earth tones.

Names:
Male: Arith, Zaknum, Gilsitharr, Aszathath, Rahk, Harr'k, Sl'tis, Kzastaan.
Female: Narniss, Arsill, Naranthis, S'lathis, Rathassa, L'liness.

History:
Both races once were men who were enslaved and treated like beasts by the mind flayers. This situation lasted several centuries, until a woman named Gith took command of the rebels. The battle was long and bloody, but in the end the slaves conquered their freedom. Some of them (the githyanki) stayed faithful to Gith, while others, the Githzerai, decided to follow a powerful magic user named Zerthimon who proclaimed himself their king and subsequently their god. Zerthimon revolted against Gith because he thought she was hateful and unfit to rule the people. A great battle followed: the people was divided between the githzerai, followers of Zerthimon, and the githyanki, followers of Gith. Zerthimon died in the conflict, but with his sacrifice he freed the Githzerai from Gith: the Githzerai believe that he will one day come back as a god and will take them to another plane. This racial conflict between Githzerai and Githyanki has lasted millennia and it doesn't seem to be going to end.

Githzerai society:
The Githzerai mainly live in the plane of Limbo, where they have fortresses and are very powerful. Each of this fortresses counts about 3000 Githzerai under a supreme chief. Others, instead, live in cities with 100000 or more people and hold everything under control, in a plane that is chaotic and impredictable for others. A significative example is Shrakt'tor, headquarter and capital, which counts two millions Githzerai: here the most important nobles and generals dwell, to decide the strategies to fight the githyanki and the mind flayers. There is noone in Limbo who can challenge the power of Shrakt'tor or its numerous population.

The Githzerai fortresses on the Prime Material Plane are few, but important, they have enormous crude and square towers with adamantite walls dominating the arid plains and each contains about 500 githzerai, among which the supreme chief. No plant nor animal lives near these fortresses and the terrain is reduce to dry land for kilometers: it's not clear whether this is a reaction of the land to the foreign substance of which they are made or if it's the work of the Githzerai mages, who try to keep other creatures away. The most probable aim of these fortresses is to control the githyanki. The githzerai, though not particularly violent, don't want to conquer the Prime Material like the githyanki do, but they know that, should their enemies be able to conquer it, they will become stronger and more dangerous. So the githzerai keep an eye on the githyanki's progresses and lead offensives targeted to their strongholds to slow their expansion. During these assault the githzerai don't attack willingly the inhabitants of the Prime Material (humans, demihumans, humanoids, etc..), but aren't willing to renounce to a well placed offensive only to respect their rights: the end justifies the means.

Terms:

Anarch: A Githzerai with the gift to shape the formless matter of Limbo into landscapes and buildings.

Gith: The great warrior-heroine whom led the revolt against the Illithid and freed the slaves that later went on to become the Githyanki and Githzerai.

Rrakkma: A band 30-60 Githzerai formed for the purpose of hunting Illithids. For roughly three months a Rrakkma will roam the planes searching for groups of Illithids and destroying them. These bands are very popular in Githzerai society and it is an honor to serve in one.

Shra’kt’lor: The largest Githzerai city, center of magical training and where the military and political leaders of the Githzerai reside. It is built upon a gigantic rock, twenty miles in diameter with a population is over 2 million people who are housed within this gigantic stronghold. The city is surrounded by islands maintened by the Anarchs that are used for farming and such. Beside the city itself is the Scattered Quarter, a huge gathering of tents, in which foreigners are allowed to live. The Scattered Quarter easily houses tens of thousands, but is only allowed on one side of wall that surrounds the city. The opposite side has the Breath of Zerthimon, an ancient volcano, and the Spytower. The spytower is an ancient construct that was once used to imprison spies until they starve to death. The city itself is made up of seven rings of gigantic granite walls. Merchants and visitors are welcome, but carefully scrutinized.

Zaerith Menyar-Ag-Gith: The immortal king of the Githzerai. Under his direction the Githzerai plan raids on both the Githyanki and Illithids. King Zaerith also encourages thievery and stealth, believing them useful to use against their enemies. The king opposes Zerhism, seeing the Zerth’s as a threat to his rule. Unfortunately for him the legend is well entrenched in Githzerai society and he grudgingly tolerates it.

Zerhism: The religion of those that follow Zerthimon

Zerth: A follower of Zerhism.

Zerth’Ad’Lun: A well known monestary run by Master Belthomais.

Zerthimon: A powerful magic user whom rebelled against the Illithid slave-lords. After Gith’s successful overthrow of the Illithid, Zerthimon disagreed with Gith, seeing her as too hateful and unfit to rule the people. After he was proclaimed king of the Githzerai, a great battle between the followers of Gith (Githyanki) and the followers of Zerthimon (Githzerai) divided the people. Zerthimon died in the conflict, but his sacrifice freed the Githzerai from Gith. He is the most revered figure for the Githzerai who believe that he will one day return as a god and take all the Zerth’s to paradise.

Zerthin: The Rule of Zerth’Ad’Lun: Dsorder rages without, calm reigns within.

Zudai-zi: Holy place

LcKedovan

Explorer
reiella said:
And while Githzerai are native to Limbo, they're also heavily LN. They live there as a struggle against the chaos.

Respectfully,

I'm not sure that I agree... as stated in the MM they are any N. Only their Monks would always be LN.

From Planes of Chaos:

"As intense as the githzerai are, some could find it difficult to consider them chaotic. But keep in mind that while the githzerai are fiercely loyal to their race and ultimate leader, theirs is the loyalty of individuals, not the compliance of slaves. Having escaped from bondage once, they prize individual freedom above all else."

From the 3.0 SRD:

"Law and Chaos

Lawful characters tell the truth, keep their word, respect authority, honor tradition, and judge those who fall short of their duties. Chaotic characters follow their consciences, resent being told what to do, favor new ideas over tradition, and do what they promise if they feel like it.

"Law" implies honor, trustworthiness, obedience to authority, and reliability. On the downside, lawfulness can include close-mindedness, reactionary adherence to tradition, and a lack of adaptability.

"Chaos" implies freedom, adaptability, and flexibility. On the downside, chaos can include recklessness, resentment toward legitimate authority, arbitrary actions, and irresponsibility."

-W.

Last edited:

Remove ads