• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Give me your favorite RPG moments

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I need to test the mettle of my RPG by testing whether it can efficiently run a battery of RPG scenarios. I'm not looking to add rules systems or sub-systems, although I would like the game to be sturdy enough to take on new rules as needed.

So please give me the in-game, rules-free stories that made you really love or a remember a particular session, and I'll see how well they'd play out in Modos RPG.

Thanks!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Most of my most favorite moments have nothing to do with system, but with character personality and interplay. Your particular rules won't succeed or fail to reproduce the moments, as you'd need the *people* I played with to make them work.

Celebrim

Legend
I can't give you all the stories, because stories are owned by more than me and I won't share all the details without permission, and some would make too long of a story but...

a) After we'd returned the blade of the sword to the sage in 'CM3 Saber River'. That was the DM that inspired me and elevated RPGs for me. He played the scene perfectly, so I won't spoil the details.
b) When we penetrated to the hall of pillars in 'Tomb of Horrors'. Just getting past that door felt so epic.
c) I was running I6 Ravenloft for friends, and I'd done my usual thing of adding 50 pages of additional text to the module, including a larger wilderness map and dozens of NPCs in Barovia. One of the characters I introduced was a low level psionic rogue, who I played as this vigilante undead slayer/roof walker type who was trying to protect the town - think Jet from A:TLA about 20 years before there was such a thing. When one of my future wife's roommates developed a crush on my character, that was one of the biggest compliments I'd ever been paid as a DM.
d) "She is the goddess of Ma... Many Wonderful Things."
e) Picking up the daily newspaper to read at breakfast purely because it was the thing my PC would do, and solving the riddle of the module in doing so. Plus the, "Oh crap..." moment that resulted from that realization.
f) The Battle of Starmantle. Seriously, the most epic battle in the history of fantasy RPGs. Years in the making, forging the great alliance and driving back the enemies of the queen. Filled a two car garage. 8000+ plus units on the field and within the sprawling fortified city. So so many epic moments: the Huntsmen unveil, the charge of the treants, the wand of quench(!?!?!?), the cease fire, the audience with the queen's minor vassels, the headbands....
g) Karophet's Temple
h) "How can we tell whether she's really female?", "Oh, Rex know answer to that...."
i) Chasing the wagon through the streets of a burning Campanasalus.
j) The Death of Tarkus the Necromancer

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I can't give you all the stories, because stories are owned by more than me and I won't share all the details without permission, and some would make too long of a story but...

b) When we penetrated to the hall of pillars in 'Tomb of Horrors'. Just getting past that door felt so epic.
What happened at the door!?

c) I was running I6 Ravenloft for friends, and I'd done my usual thing of adding 50 pages of additional text to the module, including a larger wilderness map and dozens of NPCs in Barovia. One of the characters I introduced was a low level psionic rogue, who I played as this vigilante undead slayer/roof walker type who was trying to protect the town - think Jet from A:TLA about 20 years before there was such a thing. When one of my future wife's roommates developed a crush on my character, that was one of the biggest compliments I'd ever been paid as a DM.
I have a "magic" system with loosely defined spells. First question: what differentiates spells from psionics, beyond the superficial?

e) Picking up the daily newspaper to read at breakfast purely because it was the thing my PC would do, and solving the riddle of the module in doing so. Plus the, "Oh crap..." moment that resulted from that realization.
What was the riddle?!

f) The Battle of Starmantle. Seriously, the most epic battle in the history of fantasy RPGs. Years in the making, forging the great alliance and driving back the enemies of the queen. Filled a two car garage. 8000+ plus units on the field and within the sprawling fortified city. So so many epic moments: the Huntsmen unveil, the charge of the treants, the wand of quench(!?!?!?), the cease fire, the audience with the queen's minor vassels, the headbands....
Modos RPG definitely does NOT have enough miniatures rules for a two-car garage.

h) "How can we tell whether she's really female?", "Oh, Rex know answer to that...."
i) Chasing the wagon through the streets of a burning Campanasalus.
j) The Death of Tarkus the Necromancer
Sex checks: not in the rules. But I guess the Detect Skill would be a good place to start.
Chase rules: could be done with Movement skill, and supplemented with generic ability checks, or Profession-Wagon Driver...
How, exactly, did Tarkus die?

Celebrim

Legend
What happened at the door!?

Have you played the module (blind)? It's not so much that anything happened at the door, it's that we managed to get it open. It doesn't take you long to get paranoid, shaking, and energized by Tomb of Horrors.

I have a "magic" system with loosely defined spells. First question: what differentiates spells from psionics, beyond the superficial?

In my opinion, nothing really. Psionics as presented in D&D and most other forms of fiction aren't actually psionics, but simply magic. The real differentiation between psionics and magic in 1e was that psionics presented a magical system where power was to a large extent divorced from the class and level system. This is essential aspect of the system has never really been captured since, and as such, all modern D&D/D20 psionics systems simply have psionics as a variant magical mechanic.

What was the riddle?!

This was a Chill campaign. Our team had been sent to investigate rumors of a group of shape changers. Opening the paper gave us the answer to why this particular group of shape changers was particularly worrisome and what their goals would be.

Modos RPG definitely does NOT have enough miniatures rules for a two-car garage.

We were using Battlesystem.

Sex checks: not in the rules. But I guess the Detect Skill would be a good place to start.

Rex's player had in mind a more direct approach.

Chase rules: could be done with Movement skill, and supplemented with generic ability checks, or Profession-Wagon Driver...

I used the D20 rules presented in 'Hot Pursuit'. Well worth checking out, though as always, I have a few quibbles with the rules and need to formalize my changes at some point.

How, exactly, did Tarkus die?

Tarkus was the man villain behind the scenes during the first 2+ years of my current campaign. He had been introduced even in the back story of one of the PC's, and was known to be necromancer involved in some dark and mysterious work. All plot threads seemed to connect to the mysterious Tarkus. Unbeknownst to my players, Tarkus had been introduced to them in session 1 of the campaign as the neighborly undertaker Master Findel who lived beside the parties Cleric. I had managed to work several conversations with Tarkus into the game, and at one point they'd even sought him out as a resource - since he proved 'surprisingly knowledgeable and well educated'. Tarkus in turn covertly made several attempts on the life of the party and did kill one of the Priest's other neighbors, a seemstress, and as his signature ability was known for summoning large numbers of Hell Hounds (which at one point involved a chase over the roof tops of the city as the party fled a pack of hellhounds). Eventually however, their suspicions regarding Master Findel awoke, and investigations lead to a series of increasingly violent confrontations and eventually fireballs and small armies of the city guard. Tarkus managed to escape each encounter, however the party learned Tarkus's motive and means. He was in the city on the behalf of the even more mysterious Keeropus to obtain from the Lower Catacombs, indeed from the tomb of a Menes III, a sample of Dark Fire to be used in powering the still mysterious engine Keeropus was known to be creating. This was the same Lower Catacombs where at a sealed entrance they'd discovered a rune warning that behind this seal lay necromantic hazards that poised a threat to the very existence of life. To this end Tarkus had arranged over the course of the prior two years to tunnel into the Lower Catacombs, and was now searching for the Dark Fire in their labyrinthine depths. The party attempted to head him off by finding the dark fire first, encouraged and aided in this plan by their contact the Wizard Master Aiden who served as a sort of 'fix it' man for His Benevolent Despot Falster Dikelgard. Long story short, after several forays into the catacombs, the tomb of Menes the III was breached and the dark fire extinguished just minutes ahead of Tarkus. Tarkus - unaware that his quest was now futile - proceded to engage the party in an epic fight involving Hell Hounds, Juju Zombies, and fiendish wolves (and fireballs and various necromantic nastiness) that resulted in one PC death and which only avoided a second by the expenditure of a destiny point and timely divine intervention in the form of an angel of Showna (the Sun goddess) before finally taking a sword through the back as his pets were beaten down. In short, I managed to pull off the sort of epic reoccurring villain that I'd been striving to pull off (without cheating mind you) since I was a kid and much high fiving and hooraying occurred.

I've had a few good moments in my time, but these stick out the most (Warning some of these description can be graphically violent, skip this post if you care about that):

1. Back in college, I was playing in a Shadowrun game that was mostly 3rd edition with some 2nd edition stuff mixed in that the GM liked. I was playing a Troll Physical Adept and we were hired to go into a building that was guarded by corporate security and save (or kidnap, depends on how you look at it) a scientist that was working on new tech in their lab. After much debate and some recon, we decided the best way in was through the front door. We barged in and happened to catch the team of guards off guard, allowing me to hop the counter and grab the guard that was going for the alarm button. Successfully grabbing said guard, I was able to rip his arms off and beat him to death with them, while the rest of the team dealt with the other guards.
  2. In my old D&D 3.0/3.5 game group, I was playing an evil character (a half-elf black flame zealot). The character had a tragic past (death of parents, separation of siblings, and a harsh orphanage experience) that skewed his world view and helped him make those decisions. By the end of the campaign, the character had done a complete 180 degree turnaround and had become a champion of the people. It felt very good to watch and roleplay out that transformation.
  3. Another campaign with the same D&D group, I was playing a Dwarven Bard named Scruffy McStuff, who eventually became a Fate Spinner. This game went into Epic levels. All of the characters were given the opportunity to use a "Special" elixir to upgrade themselves (stat boosts) or their gear (give or increase magical properties) about halfway through the campaign. Scruffy was the only one that used the elixir on his gear. Good thing too, as the elixir was made from a dark god that was then able to instantly mind control those who drank the elixir whenever he chose. In the end, with scruffy not drinking this elixir, he was able to figure out a way to free his party from the mind control and allow the group to defeat the dark god.

There are many more, but those were the one's I have the clearest memory of. Hope it helps.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Have you played the module (blind)? It's not so much that anything happened at the door, it's that we managed to get it open. It doesn't take you long to get paranoid, shaking, and energized by Tomb of Horrors.
Not sure I've ever had the pleasure. If you can call paranoia, shakes, and engergized "pleasure."

Tarkus was the man villain behind the scenes during the first 2+ years of my current campaign. He had been introduced even in the back story of one of the PC's, and was known to be necromancer involved in some dark and mysterious work. All plot threads seemed to connect to the mysterious Tarkus. Unbeknownst to my players, Tarkus had been introduced to them in session 1 of the campaign as the neighborly undertaker Master Findel who lived beside the parties Cleric. I had managed to work several conversations with Tarkus into the game, and at one point they'd even sought him out as a resource - since he proved 'surprisingly knowledgeable and well educated'. Tarkus in turn covertly made several attempts on the life of the party and did kill one of the Priest's other neighbors, a seemstress, and as his signature ability was known for summoning large numbers of Hell Hounds (which at one point involved a chase over the roof tops of the city as the party fled a pack of hellhounds). Eventually however, their suspicions regarding Master Findel awoke, and investigations lead to a series of increasingly violent confrontations and eventually fireballs and small armies of the city guard. Tarkus managed to escape each encounter, however the party learned Tarkus's motive and means. He was in the city on the behalf of the even more mysterious Keeropus to obtain from the Lower Catacombs, indeed from the tomb of a Menes III, a sample of Dark Fire to be used in powering the still mysterious engine Keeropus was known to be creating. This was the same Lower Catacombs where at a sealed entrance they'd discovered a rune warning that behind this seal lay necromantic hazards that poised a threat to the very existence of life. To this end Tarkus had arranged over the course of the prior two years to tunnel into the Lower Catacombs, and was now searching for the Dark Fire in their labyrinthine depths. The party attempted to head him off by finding the dark fire first, encouraged and aided in this plan by their contact the Wizard Master Aiden who served as a sort of 'fix it' man for His Benevolent Despot Falster Dikelgard. Long story short, after several forays into the catacombs, the tomb of Menes the III was breached and the dark fire extinguished just minutes ahead of Tarkus. Tarkus - unaware that his quest was now futile - proceded to engage the party in an epic fight involving Hell Hounds, Juju Zombies, and fiendish wolves (and fireballs and various necromantic nastiness) that resulted in one PC death and which only avoided a second by the expenditure of a destiny point and timely divine intervention in the form of an angel of Showna (the Sun goddess) before finally taking a sword through the back as his pets were beaten down. In short, I managed to pull off the sort of epic reoccurring villain that I'd been striving to pull off (without cheating mind you) since I was a kid and much high fiving and hooraying occurred.
Can Modos do it:
Necromancer: yes, that's just a spell selection question.
Summoning Hellhounds: I'll include Summon in the original spell selection.
Investigations: Detect, Knowledge-Scholarship, or Profession skills would help.
Dark Fire: sounds like a magic item. Modos magic items are currently granting character features (ability, skill, or perk) to characters, or acting, mechanically, as NPCs.
Mysterious engine: there are no movement rates in Modos core. So the speed of the engine, and what it could do, would be up to the GM. However, when things are difficult to damage (like armor), they have Protection, which is a die that reduces incoming damage.
Juju Zombie and Fiendish Wolves: the new rulebook will have a section on creating monsters.
One PC death: Modos doesn't have dead PCs. The closest a PC can get to death is Mostly Dead.
Destiny point: hero points. Roll 1d6, in most cases, to gain a skill bonus.
Divine Intervention: no rules for that beyond rule 0. I don't want to include incorporeality rules, but it could be fun to draw up a monster or two with that feature.
Sword through the back: no hit location in Modos, but there will be guidance that crippling wounds don't happen until a character is very low on, or out of, hit points.

Thanks James...your input's next on the examination table!

delericho

Legend
Most of my most favorite moments have nothing to do with system, but with character personality and interplay. Your particular rules won't succeed or fail to reproduce the moments, as you'd need the *people* I played with to make them work.

Yep, I'm afraid this is exactly my position as well.

In fact, I'd go one further - to recreate them you would need not just the same people, but the same people at the same time, and a lot of luck. The problem with catching lightning in a bottle is that you can't really plan for it. Magic just happens... or it doesn't.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Back in college, I was playing in a Shadowrun game that was mostly 3rd edition with some 2nd edition stuff mixed in that the GM liked. I was playing a Troll Physical Adept and we were hired to go into a building that was guarded by corporate security and save (or kidnap, depends on how you look at it) a scientist that was working on new tech in their lab. After much debate and some recon, we decided the best way in was through the front door. We barged in and happened to catch the team of guards off guard, allowing me to hop the counter and grab the guard that was going for the alarm button. Successfully grabbing said guard, I was able to rip his arms off and beat him to death with them, while the rest of the team dealt with the other guards.

Door barge: a relevant skill check, and a GM might assign - "Unlikely" difficulty to knock down a door?
Surprise: surprised characters take a -4 penalty to initiative.
Rip arms off: "Impossible" (for the average person), plus, the victim's health would have to hit zero with the attack.

What else does a Troll Physical Adept do?

In my old D&D 3.0/3.5 game group, I was playing an evil character (a half-elf black flame zealot). The character had a tragic past (death of parents, separation of siblings, and a harsh orphanage experience) that skewed his world view and helped him make those decisions. By the end of the campaign, the character had done a complete 180 degree turnaround and had become a champion of the people. It felt very good to watch and roleplay out that transformation.

Modos core doesn't include alignment, so it's on the player to change the character's alignment.

Another campaign with the same D&D group, I was playing a Dwarven Bard named Scruffy McStuff, who eventually became a Fate Spinner. This game went into Epic levels. All of the characters were given the opportunity to use a "Special" elixir to upgrade themselves (stat boosts) or their gear (give or increase magical properties) about halfway through the campaign. Scruffy was the only one that used the elixir on his gear. Good thing too, as the elixir was made from a dark god that was then able to instantly mind control those who drank the elixir whenever he chose. In the end, with scruffy not drinking this elixir, he was able to figure out a way to free his party from the mind control and allow the group to defeat the dark god.

Dwarven bard: dwarves are just like humans...the differences are only superficial. I'm toying with the idea that a bard is the same thing as a wizard, except instead of a spellbook, he uses an instrument.

Stat-boosting elixir: Well, Modos characters don't have a lot of stats (three abilities plus skills and perks), so that's pretty easy. I'd probably allow defense skills against the mind control (willpower comes to mind), or say that of their minimum 3 combat actions, the dark god got to choose one of them.

Three cheers for Scruffy, by the way! :heh::lol::D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads