• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Giving a refund on Battlegraph Boxed!

Longtooth Studios

First Post
That's right!
I am taking the ultimate win/win in gaming and making it better!

With just a little old school gamer ingenuity, I have figured out a way to not only offer gamers with the opportunity to become a patron, participate in the creation of a great product, and take it home, I have figured out how to give you the opportunity to do it for $0.00!

Its not smoke and mirrors, it will just mean that you have to play an active role in the project and help promote it.

Most of you have the perfect tools already available. We have blogs, and are associated with blog networks. We frequent forums, networking sites, publishers sites. We visit our FLGS, and play in games with our friends.

Its a real chance to get a great product with a substantial perhaps even complete refund.

Most participants will figure out how to at least get a discount, some will rally a number of contacts and get 1/2 off, and some will qualify for a complete refund. (See forum for details)

Come on over and get started today!

The sooner you start tapping your network, the better your chances are to get to them first!

Battlegraph Boxed Forum - Index
Battlegraph Boxed Patron Project

MadLordOfMilk

First Post
To be completely honest, my first impression is that you're asking people to invest in a glorified cardboard box with a handle. I'm not sure I see what makes it so special, honestly; it looks the same as those boxes kids have when they're selling candy bars.

EDIT: That unintentionally came off a bit rude. Apology/clarification below.

Last edited:

thatdarnedbob

First Post
To be completely honest, my first impression is that you're asking people to invest in a glorified cardboard box with a handle. I'm not sure I see what makes it so special, honestly; it looks the same as those boxes kids have when they're selling candy bars.

No no he's not asking them to invest in a cardboard box, he's asking them to join his PYRAMID SCHEME for a cardboard box! About the only good thing that can be said about this pitch is that the 'investment' is as inexpensive as it is, compared to most pyramid schemes.

Longtooth Studios

First Post
wow, really guys?

To be honest, it is a box, with a plastic handle, this much is true. But it is designed to go with Battlegraph Dry Erase Boards and act as a storage / carrying case for the product. This makes it a very high end storage case with full color graphics that the patrons will have a hand in choosing the artist and the the final subject of the artwork.

It is not a pyramid scheme, or any other scheme!
It is a way that I could allow others to have a chance to become involved in the fund-raising project, a patronage project.

That is a way of getting other gamers to help fund the project and become involved in the decision making process, and even have their names credited on the box in the end.

Offering the ability to become involved with an opportunity to get a full refund is a little daring if anything. You dont see many, if any, companies offering a comparable incentive to get involved and help spread the word.

Its simply saying that if you help bring in customers, awesome, you should be compensated. If you choose not to, then you get a great product and a great experience to go with it.

Battlegraph Dry Erase Boards are an ENnie nominated product, and well worth the investment.

Whatever your motive for spreading slander about my products, I cannot stand by and allow you to cheapen what is a quality product and a creative method of both promoting and funding it.

MadLordOfMilk

First Post
Whatever your motive for spreading slander about my products, I cannot stand by and allow you to cheapen what is a quality product and a creative method of both promoting and funding it.
If my post made me sound like a jerk, I apologize. I have a bad habit of wording things really bluntly. In fact, I actually think the battlegraph boards are quite cool! If I ran more mini-centric games, they'd definitely be on my purchase list.

What I was getting at is: the custom size is absolutely a nice bonus, but otherwise it sounds more or less like, well, just another cardboard box that just happens to be the right size for this particular product :) What sets it apart from that?

No no he's not asking them to invest in a cardboard box, he's asking them to join his PYRAMID SCHEME for a cardboard box! About the only good thing that can be said about this pitch is that the 'investment' is as inexpensive as it is, compared to most pyramid schemes.
Calling it a pyramid scheme is a gross exaggeration, and inaccurate. It's not promising payment to anyone, even. It's really just a "refer a friend and get a slight discount" system.

Last edited:

Longtooth Studios

First Post
What I was getting at is: the custom size is absolutely a nice bonus, but otherwise it sounds more or less like, well, just another cardboard box that just happens to be the right size for this particular product :) What sets it apart from that?

I didn't want to go the route of just offering a plain white box with a logo sticker slapped on. I wanted a nice full color box with an awesome fantasy graphic that was commissioned by a notable fantasy artist. Something that players would be proud to bring to the table, and that would look great sitting on the shelf amid books that have had the same attention.

Accomplishing this is quite expensive. With the patronage project, patrons buy the product in advance, and the funds build until the project is commissioned and launches. The patrons help select the artist, the subject of the original painting, and get their name listed on the box for eternal bragging rights.

You aren't just buying a box, you are buying an experience.

Not to mention that there are differing levels or tiers of participation, where patron receive their box stocked with an ENnie Nominated product. As many as 16 Battlegraph Boards for the highest tier, which is a full box. Since the first box is full, I will throw in a second for free. This can be used for books, characters, dice, doughnuts, whatever.

On top of that, if patrons help spread the word and recruit others, they get a refund ranging from 1% all the way to 100% depending on how many they recruit and at what level the new recruit joins at.

Thsi isn't meant to be sneaky, its an opportunity. A way of allowing patrons to get involved and compensate them for the time and effort invested.

Its a win/win for everyone involved.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

To be fair - you come up with a product that doesn't yet exist, and ask people to join into a "recruit other people to join in under you, and you get something!" plan. If you didn't expect folks to scream, "Pyramid Scheme!!!" at that (correctly or not), then you weren't thinking it through properly.

I've moved this to the RPG Industry forums - please don't use General for advertising.

Longtooth Studios

First Post
It is true that I am very dedicated to making this project a success and I am very focused on spreading the word. I can honestly say that in this focus, I was blind to how the incentive could be perceived as a “pyramid scheme.” I offer my apology for being a tad overzealous in the defense of the project.

That said I would like to point out that participation in the refund opportunity is completely voluntary. Even if you elect not to try to recruit more patrons, you are still getting a quality ENnie Nominated product, at a great price, in a carrying case that will serve you well, and look great doing it.

Lets choose to look at this a different way.

This is a patron project that will be funding the creation of a full color carrying case that can be used with Battlegraph Dry Erase Boards, or as GM/Players kits to hold books, Characters, dice, and other gaming supplies. It’s a great deal on a great product and a great experience.

Like other patron model fund raising projects, the participants are encouraged to reach out and find others to participate to help ensure that the monetary goal needed to fund the project is reached as quickly as possible.

Unlike ANY of the patron projects I have been a part of, this one will actually give you something to compensate you for your efforts. Recruit a single person; you will get a small percentage returned. Recruit many, and you will get a substantial amount returned. Recruit enough and you WILL get a full refund. 13 paying patrons at Tier 4 is enough to get a 100% refund of your package cost.

So its a way of helping to complete the project and potentially landing you a FREE full box of 16 Battlegraph Dry Erase Boards, a spare box just for signing up at the highest tier, the experience of helping to choose the artist, and the subject of the artwork, and your name credited on the box.

Show me ANY other patron modeled fund raiser that offers such an opportunity.

Quoting Jerry….”Help me, Help you!”

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads