GLEE #37: Sexy

GrayLinnorm

Explorer
Two weeks was too long to wait for the next episode, especially when the last episode was the worst episode so far. Here's hoping that Gwynneth Paltrow, who returns as Holly Holliday, can make things better. She plays the new sex ed teacher (and if you've seen this show, you know they can use one) and she's willing to give a special lesson to Mr. Shu. She also sings three songs, which are all going to be on Glee: The Music Volume 5, which comes out today. In case you're wondering why there aren't any Warblers songs on the album, they're saving those for a separate album.

The playlist:

Gwynneth and Mr. Shu sing "Kiss", originally performed by Prince

Gwynneth, Brittany, and Santana sing "Landslide", originally performed by Fleetwood Mac

The Warblers sing "Animal", originally performed by Neon Trees

John Stamos, Emma, Rachel, Puck, and Quinn sing "Afternoon Delight", originally performed by Starland Vocal Band

Gwynneth and New Directions sing "Do You Wanna Touch Me", originally performed by Joan Jett

Today is Mardi Gras, the start of Lent, so I'm hoping they'll run the McDonalds Singing Fish commercials again.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
A separate album for the Warblers is kind of cool - the voices of Warblers (other than the Blaine solos, I believe) are the Tufts Beelzebubs, and good publicity for collegiate a capella music is a fine thing.

Critique time -
"Kiss" was okay, I laughed every time Gwen had to sing instead of Shu. Face it, if you are going to try to pull that one off, you had best know how to sing falsetto.

"Landslide" - while touching and finally a Santana breaking point moment, why did they go with the crappy "Dixie Witches, I mean Chicks" version

"Animal" - The song sounded great, but I couldn't help laughing hysterically all the way through this one. Something about a group named "The Warblers" trying to pull off "sexy" was just innately humorous to me.

"Do You Wanna Touch" Gwen sounded great, she isn't Joan Jett, but then other than Joan Jett, who is.

"Afternoon Delight" I can't tell you anything about this song. I was too busy wiping tears from my eyes and laughing so hard I couldn't breathe. I remember when this song came out when I was but a wee little lad. Even I knew what they were talking about and I was 6.

As for the rest of the show, not bad. Not the best episode, but each character got a good chuckle moment in... "Are girlfriends are so close, we should have a relationship like that." Small part, great line.

Of course looked at analytically, the sudden realization by Santana that she is in fact a lesbian puts her already emotional psyche at risk. I feel it is only a matter of time before we get the "suicide is bad" episode. Which would be better than the, I'm coming out of the closet bull dyke surprise episode which, would be disturbing. Not because of the subject matter, mind you; I'm just not sure the writer's could handle it in a genteel manner based on their past track record. If you'll pardon the unintentional but horribly bad pun - it would be as subtle as a bull in a China shop. (Sorry, I couldn't think of a better phrasing)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Critique time -
"Kiss" was okay, I laughed every time Gwen had to sing instead of Shu. Face it, if you are going to try to pull that one off, you had best know how to sing falsetto.

Falsetto like that isn't a matter of knowing. It can't be learned - it is a matter of physical structure. I actually thought splitting the solo like that was a good choice, in effect having the two people singing to each other.

Of course looked at analytically, the sudden realization by Santana that she is in fact a lesbian puts her already emotional psyche at risk.

I take that scene differently, in that I think it reduces her risk, rather than increases it. She's been a nasty, vicious bitch because she was angry at her feelings, and trying to deny them. She no longer denies them. She's at least partially resolved her inner conflict, so she should be more stable, rather than less.

Mind you, loving a person she cannot have isn't going to make her a happy camper, but hat's another issue.

And, by the way, she doesn't have to be a lesbian. She can be bisexual, or just love Britney, the individual. Only time will tell.

Meanwhile, Kurt's dad should be held up as an example for fathers everywhere.

Falsetto like that isn't a matter of knowing. It can't be learned - it is a matter of physical structure. I actually thought splitting the solo like that was a good choice, in effect having the two people singing to each other.

I take that scene differently, in that I think it reduces her risk, rather than increases it. She's been a nasty, vicious bitch because she was angry at her feelings, and trying to deny them. She no longer denies them. She's at least partially resolved her inner conflict, so she should be more stable, rather than less.

Mind you, loving a person she cannot have isn't going to make her a happy camper, but hat's another issue.

And, by the way, she doesn't have to be a lesbian. She can be bisexual, or just love Britney, the individual. Only time will tell.

Meanwhile, Kurt's dad should be held up as an example for fathers everywhere.
Point the first - I guess being able to sing like that I take it for granted that everyone can. I'll have to take your word for it. :) I also agree it was smart and well written, just...odd, for me at least.

I think you missed that she was embarrassed and "didn't want to be like Kurt". I don't think she's actually been in love with any guys she's been with. I took it as an indication that not only is she in love with Brittney but that she's actually just into girls. The "rejection" ath the end of the show just screamed set-up to me.

I agree - Kurt's dad - dad of the year!

Remove ads