GLEE Season 4 Premiere: The New Rachel

GrayLinnorm

Explorer
After another looong summer, our favorite show is back and at a crossroads as Rachel starts her adventures in New York City while the glee club tries to carry on without its MVP. They'll get help from at least one returning Glee Project contestant. The highlight of this episode looks like it will be Blaine singing "It's Time" by Imagine Dragons, while the lowlight is various glee members singing "Call Me Maybe" (is anyone else here tired of this insipid song?). But we'll finally get to see Tina as the new female lead of New Directions! Oh, who am I kidding? She'll probably be overshadowed by Mr. Broccoli Head and the inevitable new pretty white couple joining the group.

The rest of the playlist:

Brody sings "Sister Christian", originally performed by Night Ranger

Kate Hudson (playing Rachel's new teacher) does a mashup of "Americano", originally performed by Lady Gaga, and Dance Again, originally performed by Jennifer Lopez

Jake Puckerman (Puck's never before seen brother) sings "Never Say Never", originally performed by The Fray

Beatice MacLaine sings "Ave Maria", originally performed by Franz Schubert

Rachel and Marley (who I'm guessing will be part of aforementioned pretty white couple) sing "New York State of Mind", originally performed by Billy Joel

The glee club sings "Chasing Pavements", originally performed by Adele

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Aw. I had glimpsed a moment in a commercial, and was sure they were setting up for a version of "Loathing", from Wicked. I'm sorry to see they aren't.

Felon

First Post
Funny how they had a self-deprecating attitude towards themselves for how they featured so many old songs from the last century, because now that they're emphasizing more modern songs, it becomes evident that most of it's not very good. They want to belt out passionate power ballads, but music that's 90% synthesized and 10% human talent doesn't serve too well.

I'm old enough to remember what a scandal Milli Vanilli generated. Now we're in the age where acts use autotune openly. I know it just sounds like an old dude shouting "get off my lawn", but honestly more than anything else I keel kind of sorry for people growing up on this stuff. Feels generous to call this "evolution" or even a "transition".

Last edited:

Mercutio01

First Post
Aw. I had glimpsed a moment in a commercial, and was sure they were setting up for a version of "Loathing", from Wicked. I'm sorry to see they aren't.

I had that same feeling, actually. I was kind of hoping for it, too, despite my instincts shouting that they'd already done Wicked and thus wouldn't do it again.

I do have to say that I wish they'd go back to the Journey-led awesomeness of music that didn't suck. With the exception of "New York State of Mind," I actively dislike all the songs in the line-up.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I do have to say that I wish they'd go back to the Journey-led awesomeness of music that didn't suck.

I'm guessing that the iTunes sales tell them that the audience favors the modern tunes over the classics. Which is a shame.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I haven't - and won't - see the episode, but what's wrong with Adele? She's certainly not 90% syntheisizer and 10% human talent.

Mercutio01

First Post
I haven't - and won't - see the episode, but what's wrong with Adele? She's certainly not 90% syntheisizer and 10% human talent.

No, just overexposed. I don't know if it's as bad in Great Britain as it is here in the states, but this spring was an incessant rotation of 2 Adele songs, 2 Katy Perry Songs, and some other dribble.

Krug

Newshound
Well I thought it was quite a good episode. It's hard to handle the transition well, and I think they did a pretty decent job of it. The club/Rachel are back to being underdogs, and there's a new Quinn.

Remove ads