GLEE Season 4 Premiere: The New Rachel

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
You need to listen to different radio stations.

Yeah, well, here in Boston, they turned my classic rock station into a pop station without asking me. Now, if I seriously want to get tunes I like, I have to go get myself an HD radio.

renau1g

First Post
Luckily I pick up some Detroit stations and there's a few classic rock stations available, plus I still have my XM from my new car purchase, which helps.

Mercutio01

First Post
You need to listen to different radio stations.

Well, I listen to metal/rock stations. My wife and daughters prefer the top 40 stations. When we're in the car together, I'm over-ruled.

And I was only partially exaggerating about the line-up. There were a few other songs in rotation this spring, but if there was an hour block of Top 40 radio that didn't include at least one Adele song and one Katy Perry song, it was an aberration.

Edited to add: I mean, it was so bad that even my wife and kids got sick of Adele, and these are people who could listen to Gotye on repeat from dawn till dusk.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I usually just imagine Katy in her short blue wig, then I can listen to her. No idea what it is about that look.....as for Adele, yes, she is overplayed still. Luckily, I live in Minneapolis, and can tune in the current when I want to hear non- pop music.

Crothian

First Post
It's weird for me as the modern pop 40 songs they sing I've never heard so I'll be out in the world and hear a song that I first heard on Glee being done by the original artist.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
No, just overexposed. I don't know if it's as bad in Great Britain as it is here in the states, but this spring was an incessant rotation of 2 Adele songs, 2 Katy Perry Songs, and some other dribble.

I didn't ask whether she was overexposed. If she is - good for her!

I was responding to the comment that she was not talented. Believe me, she's an English artist: only an idiot would not assume I was not more exposed to her than any given American was. But, despite the extreme exposure she's had in recent months, I defy anybody to quantify her as as my post obejected to - merely "10% talent".

She's one talented artist, exposure notwithstanding.

Felon

First Post
Yeah, well, here in Boston, they turned my classic rock station into a pop station without asking me. Now, if I seriously want to get tunes I like, I have to go get myself an HD radio.

Same thing happened here a couple weeks ago. Just woke up one morning and started hearing what their promos insisted were today's hottest hits. I actually want to discover new music, since I'm tired of shuffling the same couple-thousand mp3's over and over, but the stuff I'm hearing just doesn't cut it. Compounding the issue is that America seems obsessed with "zoo crew" morning radio shows that play no music whatsoever between 6 and 10.

I usually just imagine Katy in her short blue wig, then I can listen to her. No idea what it is about that look.....as for Adele, yes, she is overplayed still. Luckily, I live in Minneapolis, and can tune in the current when I want to hear non- pop music.
I like "Firework", but all of Pery's other songs seem a million miles off from that. Felt the same way about Black-Eyed Peas with "Pump It" and Cee Lo's "Forget You". One bravura song and then...bleh.

I didn't ask whether she was overexposed. If she is - good for her!

I was responding to the comment that she was not talented.
I don't see any such a comment was made. There was a comment on the disappointing state of modern music trends, not an indictment of anyone in particular.

Vocals are the last redoubt of human talent. What top 40 act even constitutes a band anymore?

Last edited:

Fast Learner

First Post
While I've heard "Chasing Pavements" a ton of times and I skip it now when it comes up in Pandora, I actually quite enjoyed this version. "New York State of Mind" was good, too.

Kate Hudson confuses me. I absolutely loved her in Almost Famous — so very, very much — but I've actively disliked her in other roles since. As such I'm conflicted every time I see her.

Remove ads