• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gleemax = Enworld

Byrons_Ghost

First Post
This whole thread reminds me of the old MST episode with the "sampo".

"Gleemax- ask for it by name!"

"I think Gleemax can be found in the laughter of a small child."

"Well, whatever Gleemax is, gamers want it more than anything- so it must be some kind of facial cream!"

etc.

jrients

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Read the interview. They're not targetting D&D players, whatever the release might say.

A press release that requires a follow-up interview to explain, said explanation directly contradicting the release? What's the point of the press release, then?

heirodule

First Post
he sees his competition as
It's a good question. I really feel that there's a tremendous white space available that nobody else is playing in, and I don't feel like we have direct competitors. You can look at an individual piece of it. If you look at the indie strategy games portal, I can point to Manifesto Games that's doing something similar but has a different take. With the board game portal, there are various publishers that have their board games online.

In terms of the big picture, in terms of social networking, you can look at MySpace as competition, I guess.
He doesn't know about boardgamegeek?

:confused:

hexgrid

Explorer
jrients said:
A press release that requires a follow-up interview to explain, said explanation directly contradicting the release? What's the point of the press release, then?

The only thing the press release says about D&D is that WotC publishes it.

Here's the relevant bit from the interview:

Interview with WotC's Randy Buehler said:
We do have plans for D&D. I'm sure you noticed the license to the Dungeon magazine and the Dragon magazine reverted to us. We let people know that we have plans, but we're not ready to announce them yet. The story that we're ready to tell at this stage is the story about Gleemax. The story about D&D is for another day.

AllisterH

First Post
Gleemax is actually a term specific to the M:TG forum on the WOTC boards (the D&D corowd themselves have never heard/used the term).

It basically is an in-joke relating to the original Unhinged "joke" magic set. Gleemax and Unhinged and the person/entity M:TG's R&D blame for any "funny & crazy cards".

Merkuri

Explorer
I believe "Gleemax" is an inside WotC joke. I've heard that Gleemax was supposed to be a disembodied brain that did all of the R&D for WotC, and my guess is that the Magic card was a tribute to that joke.

And I'm surprised nobody said it already, but it looks pretty obvious that Gleemax.com is the "Digital Initiative." :D

Keith Robinson

Explorer
I really don't have a problem with the name Gleemax and actually prefer there to be some history behind it instead of just some random word chosen by some marketdroid somewhere. It's just kinda fun. Besides, as best as I can read into things from various public sources, both Dungeon and Dragon will still be used as a brand identity, so it wouldn't surprise me if they used one or both of these terms for the D&D side of the site. I think Gleemax will just be an umbrella site under which their many product lines will sit, each with their own identity and digital area.

hexgrid

Explorer
Merkuri said:
And I'm surprised nobody said it already, but it looks pretty obvious that Gleemax.com is the "Digital Initiative." :D

No, interview specifically points out that Gleemax.com has nothing to do with D&D.

Remove ads