• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gleemax = Enworld

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
"Gleemax" is a good name. It's goofy and memorable and people will talk about it in every day conversation and it will stick in their head and they will check it out to see what the hell it's all about.

...at the moment, it doesn't seem to be about much more than promises and fairy tales, though. We shall see.

Wraith Form

Explorer
Goddess FallenAngel said:
That said, yet another Wizard's board couldn't matter any less to me.

And I'm sure that I'm not alone.
Yeah, really. I began reading the press release and my eyes glazed over, my lids started drooping, and I nearly fell asleep about 16 times.

Gleemax = Meh. I'll be buying another year of member ship on E N World, thanks very much.

Wraith Form

Explorer
Mercule said:
Actually, it sounds like a stupidly cute name for an orgasm. Or, maybe that's what the Kleenex is for.

I know ENWorld doesn't have to fear the loss of my business so long as their competitors use such bad names. Seriously. How do I approach my gaming group and say, "Hey, I found this cool rules idea on 'Gleemax' today?" I couldn't do it with a straight face. Ergo, I won't even bother with the site.
Amen.

PatEllis15

First Post
Well, I'm going to delurk to support Gleemax.

First: What happened to Dreamblade! I thought the trifecta was going to be Magic, D&D, an Dreamblade... Hmmm....

Second: Gleemax is being described as NOT a news site, NOR a simple message board about a specific subsegment of gaming. I don't see how Gleemax will be a competitor to Enworld any more than Hordelings.com, or BGG.com competes with Enworld. Many people have accounts on multiple messageboards, and everyone gets along just fine!

Seems to me that WotC is being pretty brave. They clearly don't have a sound economic model, but they "know" that Hobby stores are central to the "next generation" of tabletop games (That is board, card, and pen and paper games). They know that this effort will likely help their competitors as well, but they see that a rising tide saves all boats (or what ever the saying is...).

I don't have a my space page... but I'm likely to build a Gleemax page. The hardest part of staying in gaming once i left college was finding a new group to play with. I graduated in 1994, and moved to Portsmouth NH, and knew NO ONE. I took me 5 years to find a new group to play with. In college I used to play board games ALL the time. Particularly the ones that take a while, like Diplomacy, Advaced Civilization etc. I still haven't found a group of people near me to play those games.

The idea of having your own personal page that calls out the games you play, so that others in the area and seek you out is great. Likewise, finding out that store XYZ which is only 20 minutes away is gong to try a D&D Miniatures tournament is great!

Sure, the Gleemax name is a bit odd, but not THAT odd. It's a name, and it will be taken in and converted in our own minds... I still think Revolution would have been a better name, but as the Wii was a strong console, it doesn't matter!

Don't be misled, why Gleemax won't have the DI content (i.e. no Dragon and Dungeon Content), they DO what D&D players involved... I've never played Magic outside of my home in 1995, and the DCI doesn't know me for magic, only for DDM. But I received a brain. As did many like me. It looks like they want ALL kinds of gamers so that they get good cross pollination...

Pat E

D.Shaffer

First Post
Do people even bother to read threads anymore? :confused:

Gleemax, as mentioned numerous times, is a long standing joke well known in the MTG community. They didnt pick the name out of a hat, and if you take its prior history into consideration, it makes a great deal of sense. MTG players seem to be a major target for the site, and you can bet many of them will understand where the name comes from. Before you post your oh so witty mockery, please keep that in mind.

In any case, the idea of the new site intrigues me. I'll be watching as it develops and keeping an open mind about it.

Remove ads