• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gleemax is Dead

Sammael

Adventurer
Looks like there's a pretty major shake-up going on over in Renton.

Frankly, I'm far less bothered (or personally impacted) by this aspect of WotC's recent efforts at refocusing than I am by their change in novel publication policies: http://ww2.wizards.com/books/Wizards/default.aspx?doc=main_discoveries07252008&=RSS-BOOKS

Seeing as how this means I've had not one, but two novels yanked from the publication schedule. :( And I know I'm far from the only one.
Can you solicit them to a different publisher?

P

PaulofCthulhu

I think seeing a set of RPG forums close is a sad occasion, whoever ran them. I certainly liked the concept that Gleemax was aiming for.

Mind you, I'm also unhappy that roleplaying game magazines went away from the newspaper stands, even if they're for systems I don't play as much of.

I think RPGs need more presence (in whatever format) wherever possible! :)

Can you solicit them to a different publisher?

Shades of Grey, which was to be published under the Discoveries line, I can try to sell elsewhere, since it was an entirely original novel. (It was, in fact, to be my first totally non-game-related fiction publication, so I'm especially bummed about its cancellation.) But of course, being able to try to sell it is no guarantee of success.

The other novel is murkier, since it was work for hire. I'm still talking to people about what, if anything, can be done with it.

Angellis_ater

First Post
Looks like there's a pretty major shake-up going on over in Renton.

Frankly, I'm far less bothered (or personally impacted) by this aspect of WotC's recent efforts at refocusing than I am by their change in novel publication policies: http://ww2.wizards.com/books/Wizards/default.aspx?doc=main_discoveries07252008&=RSS-BOOKS

Seeing as how this means I've had not one, but two novels yanked from the publication schedule. :( And I know I'm far from the only one.

I feel sorry for you, that must be awful!

Seems like D&D and Magic are about to be the ONLY brands WotC retains.

Ginnel

Explorer
I think seeing a set of RPG forums close is a sad occasion, whoever ran them. I certainly liked the concept that Gleemax was aiming for.

Mind you, I'm also unhappy that roleplaying game magazines went away from the newspaper stands, even if they're for systems I don't play as much of.

I think RPGs need more presence (in whatever format) wherever possible! :)
Please read the whole of the thread, the forums aren't closing just the blogs.

I found talk on the Astrids parlour forum quite interesting really, the others I dipped into but didn't like what I saw.

To the WotC person, thanks for the info, I'd personally like to know the estimated time in months of the various DDi products, or even a percentage complete on them, but I figure your under wizard lawyer/marketing advice to not disclose this information which is fair enough as a business decision.

Also whats the word on randomised digital minatures? I imagine not because it would be crazy and also will you publish the D&D mini stats with figures which are purchased so people can try that game out if they like? and I assume you are charging for them are there any initial prices for them yet?

Gotham Gamemaster

First Post
It looks like we might be seeing a "DC Implosion" happening at Wizards as we move into post-4e launch territory. What they really need there to allay fans' concerns and gain back some goodwill is a Joe Quesada-like figure--someone at the top who has the authority to answer questions and who not only knows how to interact with the fanbase but is eager to do so.

Worse than being minimal, their internet presence is inconsistent. Designers hit the boards or blogs, apologize for their absence, give out crumbs of information (which they treat as if they were matters of national security), promise to be more regular in their postings...and then abruptly disappear to begin the cycle again.

JoelF

First Post
The other novel is murkier, since it was work for hire. I'm still talking to people about what, if anything, can be done with it.

Can you say what line it was part of? I wasn't aware that WOTC had anything that wasn't D&D or Magic or the Discoveries imprint.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

Have you been paid for it? Presumably they've fulfilled their contractual obligations?

I know, I know, you were just venting, not asking for legal advice! :)

Remove ads